Old 09 December 2002, 10:23 AM
cool-pt-fresh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided that at some point in the near future, the scoob
is gonna have to go. I have had a few close calls with the traffic
police recently and have come to realise that if I continue to use
the scoob daily, I'm gonna end up losing my license. The trouble is
the temptation to put the foot down is always there and the car is so much fun, I always give in.
The scoob is great for racing around in, but not brilliant at other
stuff, ie; comfort etc.
I reckon I need to get something more sedate to slow me down, hence
change of car.

I was originally thinking of going for a Saab 9-5 as they are well rated and servicing costs are reasonable, but just recently I have been noticing how much of a bargain, used 7 series BMs are.
Basically, they are £50k new, but a 97/98 car will be worth no more than a scoob of the same year!

95% of my driving is to and from work on the motorway doing 100 miles a day.
I have a works fuel card, so petrol isn't a problem.
I reckon I could find a decent independent garage to do the servicing, but would
appreciate any advice from current / previous 7 series owners.

Is it possible to own one of these without becoming bankrupt?
Old 09 December 2002, 11:38 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

I think the first owners have gone bankrupt for you mate
A lot of car for the money, but depreciation is heavy, even 2nd hand.
If it's motorway cruising and petrol isn't an issue, then I shouldn't see any problems. German reliability, can't go wrong.
Old 09 December 2002, 12:55 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I've just done something similar, with 30-35k per year (and a fuel card ) I've just gone for a 2000 Merc ML430. £45k car for £24k Thumping V8, quick, refined a hell of a lot of car for the money - oh and I still have a little weekend car to put a smile on my face when 'in the mood'.

Almost went for a late-99 740i though. Fully loaded, my wife's bosses Wife's car - he'd let me have it for £24/25k
Old 09 December 2002, 02:15 PM
cool-pt-fresh
Scooby Regular

Just been down to Damon Hill BMW.
Nice lady in the service dept has given me service costs:
Major service = £300.
Minor service = £70.

One service every 10,000mls. I thought this was very reasonable.
Basically you get a 20% discount on labour on all cars over four years old.

Brakes etc same costs as Scoob.

Makes you wonder what an independent charges.

Looks like I'll be changing to a '98 728i in the new year.
Old 09 December 2002, 03:17 PM
Mr evolution
Scooby Regular

Should get an S reg 740 4.4 v8 (296bhp) with TV sat nav etc for 16k 20mpg is the highest I've had engine solid as anything but the electric gizmos prone to annoying problems. If you get one don't ever let the battery run flat as this can lead to the tv sat nav traffic master and abs all going pop.
Old 09 December 2002, 05:13 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

I have an old style (E32) 740i, a '93 car bought sh in '96. Cost new in '93 was well over GBP40k, bought as an approved used car from main dealer for less than GBP20k in 1996. Very reliable so far, suffered no glitches at all even tho car is 10 years old. The OBC and other systems funtioning correctly to this day.
When I bought the car, I was it's 4th owner (car was just over 3 yrs old then), turns out the first 3 owners have had a lot of warranty claims on the car, the most serious being a short-block change. I guess the first 3 owners were tired of the car being in the service dept all the time. By the time I have the car, all glitches were sorted out & I haven't had any trouble from day one.
Servicing is once a year if the mileage is low (i.e. <12k p.a.), & service intervals can be very long if the car is driven very gently.
The car is a great Motorway cruiser, top speed is limited to 149mph but at 70mph it is only revving at 2000rpm. Mid-range acceleration is also very good too.
If petrol is not a problem, then go for it. It's better than an S-class or a Lexus or a Jag.
Old 09 December 2002, 05:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a 523iSE? As an all rounder for the money a pretty good proposition second hand...

Less weight in the nose, better steering than the V8s, better insurance and economy, good second hand prices, cheaper tyres. Been around since 1995 with no significant changes (except minor cosmetics, much more recent change of engine from 170 to 192ish BHP) so some good bargains to be had. At least as quick as a 728 and a bit less cumbersome? Looks better too? Or a 530d for good running costs and more depreciation proof - but more recent and cost more to buy?
Old 09 December 2002, 05:28 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Ausi A8 4.2 Quattro or maybe even an S8!!!
Old 09 December 2002, 07:14 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just be warned that servicing costs assume that nothing needs replacing/repairing --> BMW parts don't tend to be cheap !
A £300 service can soon become £500 once a few parts are required and you add the VAT...

Gastro
Old 09 December 2002, 08:07 PM
roee
Scooby Regular

Get a 5 series, unless you need to haul your extended family there's no point in getting the 7. The 5 can be real fun, if you go for a newish 520 (with the updated 170hp engine, as of 2001), you get a truly brilliant car for not much money. Steering, engine, handling, ride - are all top.
And you wouldn't believe how relaxing it is.

Old 11 December 2002, 09:41 AM
cool-pt-fresh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the advice fellas.
A guy in the office keeps saying I should get a 5, but I just like the idea of owning a top of the range bm. I like the road presence of the 7 also (and the fact that lots of em have got a telly!).

I realise the 5 is a better all rounder, but to me it is not special enough.

If I was looking for an 18 month old car, which I normally do, I could never afford such a car, so I figured I'm gonna treat myself and get a 4/5 year old, even if I only keep it for a year or two.

I still think they look the bees knees, and it'll be at least a few
years before they turn into yardie wagons!
Old 11 December 2002, 05:59 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

cool-pt-fresh,

Take it you're local to Damon Hills then? I'm just down the road. If you want a ride in a 5 series to make your mind up I'll pop over in mine! Used 7 would be good to have provided it's 4plus and maybe has an extended warranty. These can be bought at £550 per annum or £1000 for 3 years.

Matt
Old 12 December 2002, 09:07 AM
cool-pt-fresh
Scooby Regular

MattOz,

Thanks very much for the offer. I have driven a couple of fully specced up 5s in the past and know how nice they are. I just fancy the idea of owning a car that I could never afford new.
(Could just about stretch to a base model 5, but certainly not the £54k for a 7).
It will definitely be 4plus, probably a P or R plate, which I'll keep for a year or two as an infill car before I spend all my money on something newer.

Thanks for the avice on the extended warranty. I was sure I'd read the cost of these somewhere before but couldn't remember. Definitely worth the bucks.

Again, thanks for the advice.