Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Golf V6 4Motion ..

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 08:22 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for tyre advice/experience from other non-scoob owners (as well as Scoob owners), see this thread:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=173487

It seems the tyre of choice amongst Scoob owners is the Toyo T-1, but I wanted to canvas others too!

Thanks,

- Jon
Old 03 February 2003, 08:52 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Autocar did a high performance tyre test this week if you want to look at alternatives.
It would appear that different makes suit different cars, so the Toyo may not be the best choice for the 4Motion.

Have to admit though, I had Toyo's on my Scoob and I let someone else drive the car who didn't and they said the difference in grip was immense.
Old 03 February 2003, 09:26 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Cheers, will have to pop to Tesco to grab a copy (if it's still out).

I was thinking along different car/different tyre lines too. The only similarities between the Scoob/4Motion is the AWD but the Scoob is predominantly RWD and the 4Motion FWD ...

I haven't managed to find the opinions of any other 4Motion owners yet

- Jon

Old 03 February 2003, 11:02 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

ok, here's one

I run a haldex (ie 4motion) Octavia 4x4turbo, RR'd : 222bhp \ 231lb ft.

On my second set of Toyo's after unanimous support from scooby owners, and the price aspect! There are better tyres out there, but not any I can get for £70 each! (205/55 R16)

Dry performance: Good and predictable, easy to use limits.

Wet performance: Great, especially at high speed in standing water, very stable. In hard cornering, plenty of feedback.

Far better sidewall strength than the P6000's I ran before, and comparable feel to Michelin Pilot Exalto's that I ran on previous cars.

ESP does seem to wear the front shoulders tho, so I would suggest regular FR\REAR rotation.

Ian
Old 03 February 2003, 01:48 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

Ian

That's excellent thanks. Just to confirm, you run 205/55R16 also ? If so I think I might give them a try, they are cheaper than the Yokohamas, and based on the numerous Scoob drivers, and now your testament ... they have to be worth a try!

Cheers,

- Jon

Old 03 February 2003, 02:09 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Yup, 205/55 R16, good ol standard VAG alloys!

Old 03 February 2003, 02:44 PM
ChrisB

That'll be the same as me then - Dunlop SP2000 is what mine arrived with. Seem pretty good actually given the jump from 4WD to FWD.

Eagle F1s when I've wrecked these - don't you love inclusive service and tyres plans?
Old 03 February 2003, 02:56 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

I had wanted to go up to 18" wheels ... but the cost of those + tyres was too much ... thanks for tip Ian, I'm pretty certain to be ordering some Toyos, next week possibly.

Chris - mine came with 3x Michelin Pilot MX & 1x Continental PoS ... so I think anything would be an improvement! If I'd noticed at the time, I would have asked for matching front tyres

The odd thing for me, going from FWD to the 4Motion, is that I never get that front wheel 'slip' I was so acustomed to in the old Tdi ...

- Jon
Old 03 February 2003, 03:21 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

ok, if you miss it

Here's a little trick to disengage 4wd:

To see how much the 4wd system is working, and see how the "other half " live, the haldex 4x4's can be switched to 2wd (FWD).

You might want to turn ESP off for the full effect of this one.

As you know, the haldex can disengage to allow ABS, ESP etc to work without effecting the rest of the transmission, it also disengages when the handbrake is applied.

Gently lift the handbrake to it's first "click" so that the dashboard light has come on.

PLEASE CHECK THERE IS NO RESISTANCE IN MOVEMENT AND THE HANDBRAKE IS NOT *ACTUALLY* APPLIED AT THIS POINT.

Thinking the handbrake is on, the haldex totally disengages the rear axle, leaving the normal EDL handled front axle.

NOTE: Thinking the handbrake is on and you are driving, an intermittant beep will be heard from the dash, as long as you are not smoking \ dragging your rear wheels this is ok.

It's an interesting experience, tried this last night (very cold and icy).

Accelerated in first, wheelspin, changed to second, wheelspin, third - gentle throttle and once grip established, torque steer - 222bhp through the front wheels is not something I've experienced before, great (if childish) fun.

I WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED \ REAR PADS REMOVED, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT APPLY THE HANDBRAKE ENOUGH FOR CONTACT BETWEEN PAD AND DISC AT THE REAR. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 03 February 2003, 05:50 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

nice .. not sure I'll try it ... but nice. LOL @ the disclaimer!

- Jon
Old 03 February 2003, 07:50 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

F1s - F1s - F1s - They are great but wear quickly being soft.

Toyos seem to be a bit cheaper and also have very good reviews.

I stick with what I know F1s.... However has anyone gone from F1s to Toyos and not regreted it. Should I bite the bullet any try them?

Are they as good or better that F1s?...(but a little cheaper per corner)

What do you lot think?

Steve (MY94WRX)