Saab 9.3 Hot Aero

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 07:48 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saab 9.3 Hot Aero

any verdicts?

How do they compare to the Scoob in terms of performance?

My friend's just bought one (he's a big Saab fan ), but I won't get to see him for a few weeks.

Just wondering what they're like........

Dan

ps, no I won't be racing - I'm a grown up
Old 06 February 2004, 08:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

They're great in a straight line. As long as you like torque steer...
Old 07 February 2004, 12:25 AM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

built on the same floor pan as the new vectra but meant to be a lot better to drive, and i think they look the dogs, good buy and different
Old 08 February 2004, 12:08 AM
Andreas
Scooby Newbie

Handles really well compared to the previous model but the new engines aint much fun.

New model using previous models engines would be cool.
Old 08 February 2004, 01:44 PM
Phil M
Scooby Regular

eh. the engines are more or less the same, low pressure turbo 2.0 jobs.
Old 08 February 2004, 02:22 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Low pressure turbo giving 225bhp?

surely the HOT ones (High Output Turbo) have high pressure turbos??

LPT usually give out around 170-190 don't they?
Old 08 February 2004, 03:34 PM
Saabdriver
Scooby Newbie

IIRC the new Aero HOT has 210BHP. Only the (old model) Viggen had 225BHP (maybe 230BHP in later models).

Unfortunately 9-3's are not my forte so take the above info with a pinch of salt

The handling on the new 9-3 is spectacular. Abbott Racing have done a R3 conversion http://www.abbottracing.com which takes the standard Vector model and turns it into a beast. I've had the very great pleasure of being a passenger in it when Ed Abbott took me for a spin. Wow! I've never been in a Scoob but I suspect that it would struggle to lose the R3 in dry conditions, even in the twistys.

Old 08 February 2004, 08:36 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

Everyone on the Saab Boards agrees that the handling on all of the new 9-3 is far superior to the older shape. Especially on the Aero and Vector models (believe they both get the same suspension set-up). However, some people are not so impressed with the performance - as far as I can remember I think the problem is the gearing, which makes the 210 BHP Sports Saloon feel not as quick as the old shape 185BHP Aero.

There aren't many tuning options as yet, because all cars will still be within Manufacturers warranty - you'd have to wait and see if "Official" Saab tuners Hirsch come up with anything.

Personally, I think the cars look great, especially Aero's and Vectors, though some of the materials in the car seem to have lost out to the accountants, for example the flimsy feeling electric window switches. The handbrake is funkily designed, though a fair few people have trapped their thumbs releasing the handbrake - you need to see a pic to understand what I'm waffling on about! There's no plastic cover on one of the arms that hold up the boot lid either.

Despite the shortcomings, most seem to like their 9-3 Sports Saloons.

I've heard of a few problems with the 9-3ss's - e.g. the display saying the rear door is open when it's not - making the courtesy light stay on and draining the battery. Basically it's an entirely new model and there are always some problems - just like on the new Honda Accord with its rattles, and the new Laguna with bits (most!) falling off.

Go for a test drive and see what you think
Old 09 February 2004, 03:22 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I've had a new 9-3SS aero since June.

Its a decent car. More refined than scoob. Its got loads of low down torque 221lb ft from 1950 rpm which gives rapid in gear urge. Its quoted 0-60 is 7.5 but Autocar have got near that with the low pressure model. I reckon it pushes late 6s to 60. To give you an idea once rolling its no slower than my clio cup.

Its ride handling are good as well - not like saabs of old - It does not suffer any torque steer.

Its not a direct Scoob competitor IMHO but a cut price alternative to the 330/Xtype 3litre.

I have heard some critcism of the trim but I really like it and prefer it to the BMW Audi etc. There is some crappy trim next to the gear stick which lets it down and the hand brake can trap your thumb when youre not used to it. However once you are its no problem.

No probs reliability with mine to date - some earlier cars apparently did suffer niggles though.
Old 09 February 2004, 04:10 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

We've had our 9-3 Aero since May. No it doesn't handle as well as my MY00, it's not as quick and not as chuckable.
However it's better looking, better built, a better cruiser, better equipped, bigger and is still a quick car that handles pretty well. It's not in the same market as the scoob and shouldn't be compared. It matches well with 3-series, A4 and X-type and isn't as common which we liked.
Old 09 February 2004, 09:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Apologies. I thought we were referring to the previous 9-3 (the one that looks like an NG900).

I agree that the 9-3 Sports Saloon is a desirable car.
Old 09 February 2004, 10:04 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

surprised we haven't heard from zippy yet.

I had a 9-3 aero for the weekend before I bought the MY03. Unfortunately I was running an STiRA as a daily driver at the time.

The saab was a really nice drive, smooth power delivery, and the handling wasn't too shabby.

It really did lack the 'grunt' factor though, but its not really fair to compare it to the RA as they're totally different animals.