Chrysler Crossfire???

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2004, 11:15 AM
Edwardt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chrysler Crossfire???

Hi,

My housemate has his heart set on Chrysler Crossfire, and i am very dubiouse about them. Anyone had any experience with them, had a test drive or heard anything about them.

Any comments would be great.

Cheers

Edd
Old 11 February 2004, 11:26 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

There's one getting about in the village i live in, i've seen it twice now in the last week including last night when it was parked up. Sounds nice, a bit of an acquired taste visually (IMHO). Isn't it basically a Mercedes CLK with a different bodyshell? If so then i think i'd rather the Merc personally...
Old 11 February 2004, 11:29 AM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Don't they drive like a dog tho?
Old 11 February 2004, 11:48 AM
Edwardt
Scooby Newbie

not sure really, i know that the auto gearbox is too be avoided like the plague!!
I said to him that he should get the merc if he likes it but he has sat in the crossfire and loves if, and he has booked a testdrive!
For 28k you can get a great car, not just one that looks ok(matter of opinion!?!?)
He was toying with getting a high spec A3 also, which is a better choice!
Old 11 February 2004, 12:07 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Sorry, just to clarify in case there's any confusion. When i said above that i preferred the Merc, i meant i preferred it to the Crossfire.

I prefer my Scooby to either of them!
Old 11 February 2004, 12:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

i know that the auto gearbox is too be avoided like the plague!!
So what exactly do you know about the autobox or is it just the usual cráp that's spouted by uninformed individuals not having a clue just how good auto's really are?

If there was a genuine problem then they wouldn't have the cars for sale, that I am sure.

If the crossfire box is as good as the Cherokee box was then it'll be superb and with an extra 9+ years on development I'm sure it is.

Auto's are the new manuals.
Old 11 February 2004, 12:50 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SilverTurboWagon
Don't they drive like a dog tho?
Apparantly. And also look like one squatting to take a cr4p as Clarkson said!

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2004, 01:05 PM
Edwardt
Scooby Newbie

'Autos are the new manuals' hmmmm........that’s certainly a provocative theory!!!!
Old 11 February 2004, 01:54 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

So I take it from the above response that it was just something you heard from a mate of a mates mate who hasn't probably left school yet?

Ask the F1 boys for the "new" manual.
Old 11 February 2004, 02:23 PM
Edwardt
Scooby Newbie

nah, heard it from top gear and my uncle who works for Chrysler UK. And thanks for the snotty reply, in future just dont bother replying. Thanks everyone else.
Old 11 February 2004, 03:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Edward- it wasn't a snotty reply and you simply confirmed my thoughts of having no direct knowledge of your comment.

I on the other hand have an extensive history of driving all manner of auto's and driven properly are superb.

The "slush box" title so often attributed to auto's is nothing more than pub talk.

Oh, and I'll continue to post too but thanks for your concern, not.
Old 11 February 2004, 04:00 PM
Edwardt
Scooby Newbie

i didnt mention the auto box as generally being awful, just the auto box in the crossfire. any other comments on the car that i can forward to my housemate would be great, cant stand them myself! i may change my mind after going for the t/d!
Old 11 February 2004, 07:02 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I like the Crossfire looks in a "I've never ever 'got' the Audi TT" kind-of-way.
I've seen it in every colour - the shape is also very colour dependent.

Bit like a PT cruiser in the way that you buy one because it actually looks different to anything else. Like a Forester doesn't
Old 11 February 2004, 10:12 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've seen a couple on the road. Personally, I wouldn't go near one with a 10ft barge pole. They look exactly what they are: a cheap imitation of a Merc SL. I'm really not a fan (you guessed?). I think the styling is all over the place and that horrible little spolier that pops up at the back is just plain wrong.

Clarkson isn't far wrong on these things and rarely slates a car like he did with the Crossfire without good reason.

Chris

Last edited by Chris L; 11 February 2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11 February 2004, 10:47 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

My father-in-law sells them and went to have a noisy before christmas, mixed impressions really, it doesn't look that bad and to me seemed a lot smaller in the flesh but I think the interior lets it down, very plastic, the car had full leather but the seat inserts looked like plastic and what about the boot, strange.
In my opinion I'd save myself about 8k and buy an RX8, the garage he works at sells them aswell, quality car, cheaper, more seats, quicker and it's jap.
But then again it's only my opinion, everyones is going to be different, we're only human after all.
Spoon, have to agree with edwardt, your response did sound a bit arsey, but on the topic of gearboxes, I've also driven a lot of both (like I said my father-in-law works for a massive car garage so it's a case of "That looks interesting can I have a go" or "We've got a new model in fancy a go") and have to say it's usually down to the car you're driving whether you like it or not, you know what it's like, 2 cars, same make, model and gearbox, one can be a pig the other a dream. Have you ever driven a Jeep Cherokee, the autos are lovely to drive but the manuals are a nightmare, notchiest box I've ever used.
Personally I prefer a manual, but again that's my choice.

Dave
Old 11 February 2004, 10:49 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

I quite like the looks, but isn't it basically an old/current model SLK in drag? It'll be the next "style car" for about 6 months.
I believe Jonathan Woss has one.....
Old 12 February 2004, 10:54 AM
Howee
Scooby Regular

Spoon,

All your replies have been snotty on this thread. Have you driven a crossfire? Probably not, so why get arsey because someone posts an opinion. It wasn't aimed at auto box's in general, just the crossfire, so reel your neck in . I don't need to say that the motoring press has alot of influence so if Clarkson says it's the worst gearbox he's ever used the majority of people will believe him, and quote him. Personally I don't believe a word the guy says.

I like the looks of it, having seen one in the flesh, but if I had £28k to spend on a car it wouldn't be one of those so I'll never know how bad it really is.

Oh, BTW, I am well out of school and don't wear nappies anymore
Old 12 February 2004, 10:59 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Automatics are for lazy fat arsed Americans, women and people who can't drive- on road cars at least. Real men like to handle a "stick" .

edited to add: Saw a Crossfire parked inside our local shopping mall along with some other Chrysler tat- it looked like total ****, reminded me a bit of a plasticky 50/60's toy.

Last edited by NACRO; 12 February 2004 at 11:00 AM.