Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Seat Leon Cupra Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 11:55 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seat Leon Cupra R - Diesel?

Anyone driven one yet? Just considering a move to something cheaper to run than the scoob and have heard about these.

Are they identical to the standard Cupra R apart from the engine? Is the ride/handling/equipment the same??

Last edited by blip; 28 February 2004 at 12:12 PM. Reason: missed off the 'R'!
Old 28 February 2004, 02:41 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by blip
Are they identical to the standard Cupra R apart from the engine? Is the ride/handling/equipment the same??
They're identical to the standard Cupra not the Cupra R.

Autocar ran a side by side test of a Cupra 20vT and a Cupra Tdi a couple of weeks ago and decided that for day to day use there was sod all in it. The Petrol was ultimately faster but only when wringing the nuts off it.
Old 28 February 2004, 06:33 PM
JayBee
Scooby Regular

I am looking at moving to one of these as a company car.

Need to claw back some money to invest in the TVR and as I currently run a CTR , the tax is significantly lower (by about 180 pounds) and as it is below the monthly allownace, the company will give me 100 quid back! Net result about 200 notes a month back to me!

So, had one from SEAT corporate for 1 whole week. Fantastic service and could not be more helpful. Even left it with me for an extra day!

The car - Fantastic, Great handling, bloody quick well built and ultimately a more relaxing drive than the CTR. Actually ended up going quicker as it is so silent. Great shove from that 150 engine. Spoke to some companies (REVO/TDI/AMD) and for a few hundred notes you can get a switchable map the see around the 185-190 bhp and 300ft/lb toque....mmmm.....interesting.

Oh and had plenty of kit inside - Climate, CD Changer etc. Really a golf underneat but somhow handled better and felt a bit more....alive.

Got one more test to do but this is DEFINITELY at the top of the list.

TRY ONE!

Last edited by JayBee; 28 February 2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 29 February 2004, 12:36 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Thanks JayBee - I'm hoping to get a test drive myself in the next week or two. Only thing worrying me a bit is the amount of reports I've seen online of Leon owners with problems. It sounds like build quality/reliability/etc could be an issue.

But on paper the Cupra PDi 150 sounds very appealing!
Old 29 February 2004, 02:42 PM
JayBee
Scooby Regular

Blip

If you went on a Seat BBS then you will get a concentration of faults. Go on any VW/BMW/Porche/Audi site and you will see the same.

God I would never have even driven a TVR if I had taken some of the postings on Pistonheads too seriously. Most reliable car I have owned.

As with all cars, some good, some bad.

Now, if it was and independent survey you saw...mmm

JB
Old 29 February 2004, 03:57 PM
zesty
Scooby Regular

Blip:
I know this isnt related to this post but are you still selling your wagon If so can you PM me

zesty