Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2004, 08:53 AM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc CLK 55 AMG

My Brother who owned a lightly modified STI-8

I.E STI with PPP full Manifold back HKS System HKS RSK HKS Sequential BOV

And my Dad with his CLK 55 AMG are debating which is the faster car my bro has since sold his Scoob after an unfortunate incident but reckons the scoob will have wiped the floor with the Merc.

And my dad says the same about the Merc to the Scoob

I kinda reckon that the scoob will have it to 60 -70 but after that I think the torque and power of the AMG tuned 5.5 litre V8 will come into it's own and just cruise past.

anyway I'm pretty certain you guys would be able to clear this up for me
Old 02 March 2004, 08:59 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 02 March 2004, 09:04 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

For my money the merc would past it!
Old 02 March 2004, 09:19 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"For my money the merc would past it!"

pass it or paste it but not past it!
Old 02 March 2004, 09:37 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Ah yes, but you are forgetting his brother does have a "HKS RSK HKS Sequential BOV".
Old 02 March 2004, 09:47 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Going off my limited experience of std 32V V8 mercs the AMG would annihilate the scoob. It will keep level up to about 80 then you won't see it for dust.

But the big difference is, all the while your bro is worrying about frying his clutch on the launch & throwing gears at it like a man possessed, your old fella merely has to stretch his right toe a little & spend the rest of the time checking that the climate is set to is satisfaction

BTW you don't state whether your dad's motor is the new kompressor model, or the previous generation N/A version. Not that it matters it merely determines the intensity of the asswhuppin'

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 02 March 2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02 March 2004, 10:05 AM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Going off my limited experience of std 32V V8 mercs the AMG would annihilate the scoob. It will keep level up to about 80 then you won't see it for dust.

But the big difference is, all the while your bro is worrying about frying his clutch on the launch & throwing gears at it like a man possessed, your old fella merely has to stretch his right toe a little & spend the rest of the time checking that the climate is set to is satisfaction

BTW you don't state whether your dad's motor is the new kompressor model, or the previous generation N/A version. Not that it matters it merely determines the intensity of the asswhuppin'
Entirely what I thought, although I do beleive the Scoob would make it a different story in the twisties,

Sorry it's the MY03 STI-8 vs 02 CLK 55 AMG

I admit don't know much about turbo engine's but the Scoob felt a lot quicker

when he had the HKS Racing Suction Kit (RSK) fitted along with the HKS Super Dragger zaust HKS manifold, center section, and de- cats fitted and yes although the BOV made a silly whoosh noise it made the boost feel more positive after a gear change when pushing the car hard. alll of this with the PPP fitted beleive it or not the fueling was fine I guess he was one of the lucky ones,

so it's not a standard car vs the merc

thanks guys for sharing your views I must admit I didn't think that you would all think the Merc would walk it so easily
Old 02 March 2004, 10:19 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Entirely what I thought, although I do beleive the Scoob would make it a different story in the twisties
WHY do you think it'd be different story in the 'twisties' [tm scoobynet] Have you (or anyone else here) tried a CLK AMG? A loose surface on the slower bends may give the scoob an advantage.

Scoob nice but the Merc is in a league (or ten) above the scoob in desirability stakes.
Old 02 March 2004, 10:37 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Dang typo - I mean paste
Old 02 March 2004, 11:28 AM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
WHY do you think it'd be different story in the 'twisties' [tm scoobynet] Have you (or anyone else here) tried a CLK AMG? A loose surface on the slower bends may give the scoob an advantage.

Scoob nice but the Merc is in a league (or ten) above the scoob in desirability stakes.
I know, that's why I told my Dad to buy the Merc,

handling wise the reason I think it'l be different story is the Merc is rear wheel drive where as the Scoob being 4 wheel drive with the surtech (wrong spelling) diffs
Old 02 March 2004, 11:53 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

4WD gives you more traction but not necessarily better handling. That's why Elises, S2000, porsches etc. are faster round a track than scoobs even though they are all RWD. A lot of it is down also to the driver. A very average driver will be faster in a scoob, but ones with more skill with RWD cars will be rather quick too.

Anyway, the merc has enough gizmos to ensure that it stays on the road (traction control, stability stuff etc.) so I'd say that it would be as fast as the scoob in the 'twisties' and certainly more fun getting the back out (turn those gizmos off first though )

Anyway, all these things aside. I think most the time there'll be very little difference between the cars up to 80mph on typical roads. Any differences would be more apparent when the cars are driven harder. Point to point on b roads the Scoob would possibly have it, on the tract the merc would, IMO, be a fair bit faster.
Old 02 March 2004, 12:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

My CLK 430 was faster than a lot of people thought - deffo just a case of press the loud pedal and waft along (11MPG though)..

hmmm £30k whould I buy a new WR1, or a 2 year old (or so) M5 or CLK55 AMG ??? or a Porshe 911/993 series... hmmm decisions decisions...

Last edited by what would scooby do; 02 March 2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02 March 2004, 01:33 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

993 for me, no question.
Old 02 March 2004, 10:55 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Going off my limited experience of std 32V V8 mercs
You mean mine matey?

CrisP took me to collect my SL500 when I bought it, him driving our WRX home with me in the Benz.

As you do, we had to have a play and gun it from a steady 70 side by side on the way home up the M56. The pimpy, 1.7 tonne footballers wives car BURIES the WRX. Although it could be the wenker behind the WRX wheel that did it though

An old shape E55AMG would eat a new WRXSTi, (have driven both), not bad for a £14k used motor these days.

In no doubt that a CLK55 would do the same.
Old 03 March 2004, 11:18 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Olly, yes I was talking about your pimpmobile & even cheating by flooring the scoob before you were ready made no difference BTW I might be a wenker, but at least I don't need a thumping great silver extension on my manhood

Going off the feature in evo when the current CLK 55 came out, I doubt whether a scoob would keep up in the twisties either. With all the toys switched on it gave a hot caterham a run for it's money on the slaloms & handling tests.