Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

So its not just Subaru UK that rips us off

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2004, 09:28 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face So its not just Subaru UK that rips us off

Seen the EVO article on the new Euro EVO VIII???

ONLY 261bhp....

FIVE gears rather than the normal 6.....

and to get the "normal" spoiler... £2000+ option

BUT

They will tell you - you get a three year warrenty with it - Yipee

So add Mitso to the list of manufacturers bringing in lower spec cars than the japenese equivelant to the uk

I think i'd go for a UK STI any day. At least they give you the vaseline before you pay.......

Jza
Old 02 March 2004, 10:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: anyone who thinks British car-buyers get a decent deal, is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

While Honda make a higher spec Civic, and export it to Japan for less than we pay for the lower spec version MADE HERE, and subaru et al, import cars of lower spec to us at inflated prices, we're fooked.

And before anyone says owt about alarms, underseal, tracker etc etc, please don't bother. Just tell me how much a JDM STi is in Japan, and how much we'd have to pay here.

Alcazar
Old 02 March 2004, 11:00 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Errr can you tell me please
Old 02 March 2004, 11:15 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

i always wondered, just exactly how much is a jdm sti gl out of the showroom?
Old 02 March 2004, 11:40 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I think the new de-tuned Evo is a pretty good idea. Think about it and it's target audience - it's aimed straight at the STi buyer and is a grand cheaper - same power, same performance. The gearbox is supposed to be better ('less crunchy' than the six-speed according to Autocar) although not quite as close as the full-blown Evo. The 260 comes with two exhaust cats, which I suppose if you removed at least one and tweaked the ECU you'd have the power of the more expensive version. And the lack of the 'look at me, I'm gay' spoiler is another bonus, IMO of course and no offence to spoiler-lovers
Old 02 March 2004, 12:06 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I was surprised when i read the article as (being stupid) i never realised Evo's were imports. I thought they were mitsu sanctioned uk cars, like the type UK.

So that makes it quite annoying that everyone compares it with the STI uk when in fact they should be comparing them with JDM STI's like the spec C!
Old 02 March 2004, 12:15 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
I was surprised when i read the article as (being stupid) i never realised Evo's were imports. I thought they were mitsu sanctioned uk cars, like the type UK.

So that makes it quite annoying that everyone compares it with the STI uk when in fact they should be comparing them with JDM STI's like the spec C!
Agree completely...

Jza
Old 03 March 2004, 09:18 AM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
Evos have always JDM models. Initially only available a grey import, but then Mitsubishi UK started selling imported models (I'm not sure if they are SVA-ed versions or not).

Main difference between is that Mitsu will service grey import cars, hence the aftermarket support is better and I guess it has kept the residuals higher

Andy
Old 03 March 2004, 10:14 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The Evo 260 is one of the cars I'm considering changing to. Just waiting for them to announce the service intervals.
Old 03 March 2004, 03:44 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

for alcazar...
I got a quote for a JDM Impreza STi 6 months ago. Drive away price after all the taxes was 3,130,000 yen. At the then current exchange rate that equated to around 16,920 pounds sterling. At current exchange rates (about 202yen/pound) that would come down to 15,495 pounds sterling!

Purchase tax here is currently 5% compared to 17.5% in the UK. But annual car tax is considerably more expensive than UK plus all the expressways are toll roads. Swings and roundabouts.

BTW, Japan is cold in winter and they use lots of salt on the roads to keep the ice at bay. Can there really be a big difference in the amount of underseal used for JDM and UK spec cars ???