Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo 260

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2004, 08:09 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 260

Seriously considering one of these. I currently have a 02 WRX PPP and have been offered a decent part ex against the 260.
Haven't been able to test drive one but had a good hour out in the FQ 300 which was fantastic. I am hoping the 260 will be the same driving experience but with slightly less power.
Has anyone had any experience with the 260?
Cheers
Mal
Old 05 June 2004, 08:13 PM
Rollers
Scooby Regular

have been told these put out 280hp standard??go for it!!

Originally Posted by Mal K
Seriously considering one of these. I currently have a 02 WRX PPP and have been offered a decent part ex against the 260.
Haven't been able to test drive one but had a good hour out in the FQ 300 which was fantastic. I am hoping the 260 will be the same driving experience but with slightly less power.
Has anyone had any experience with the 260?
Cheers
Mal
Old 05 June 2004, 09:34 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Default Keep your eyes peeled!

On Monday, I have a day off work & am going to Perth....

.....have pre-arranged a test drive in an 04 STI and an Evo 260 back-to-back!!

The Evo will have to MAJORLY impress me though, as I cover 22k per year.
That would be 4 services plus 2 AYC services for the Evo.... i.e. well over a grand.

Will post back here on Monday night with what I have ordered.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:20 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Default My verdict on the EVO 260 vs STi 8

OK, here we go.... a bit long, but this was my experience today.....

As you can see, I preferred the EVO for raw thrills..... but in practicality & comfort stakes, it was a no-brainer for the Scooby.

Just make sure you try BOTH!!!!

I had my test drives back-to-back today: Scooby STi, then Evo 8 260.

VERDICT: The Evo is the DADDY.

END RESULT: I bought the STi.

Here's why......

The guy who took me on the Evo test drive was great..... he didn't know the town at all, so he let me go wherever I wanted!!! About 25 miles in total. And I took the EXACT same route I took in the STi just hours before.... Perfect!!

The Evo steering is RAZOR sharp compared to the Sti, which is almost "soggy".... but if you hadn't driven an Evo, you'd think it was as sharp as you could get!!
Straight line power delivery was close, but the Evo DID have an edge... I pulled up the same (steep) hill at similar speeds & revs, and the Evo did a lot more damage to my kidneys...
I can TOTALLY believe the "rumour" that it's putting out closer to 280 brake.

RIDE: the Evo is definitely more firm. Coupled with the steering; it feels like it will change direction in much less time than the STi can.

WHY I CHOSE THE STi........

1.....I am an incredible short@****, and the recaros in the Evo have NO height adjustment..... I know that could be remedied, but it was so much easier to get instantly comfortable in the STi.
2.....The part-ex deal by the Scooby garage was better by £1200
3.....Tyres for the Scoob are a common size (225/45/17).... same as BMW 330D, Volvo V70 SE etc. etc. Good rubber is about £160 a corner..... Tyres for the Evo at 235/45/17 are flippin' hard to come by in my part of the country...... I'll be getting through at least 2 full sets a year.
4....Fixed price dealer servicing for the Evo (I do 22k per year) for the first year are about £1400 versus about £500 for the Scoob.
5....THAT EXHAUST NOTE!!!!

So sadly, it was a no-brainer.

I loved the Evo...... and I believe it is a better car in terms of pure focus, and I will always respect that when I get my STi in 12 days time!!

But it just goes to show..... you just HAVE to try them both & decide for yourself, based on your circumstances.
Old 08 June 2004, 08:47 AM
Biggins
Scooby Regular

Now that is how you compare 2 very good cars without resorting to biased juvenile slagging off of a rival model. Well done sir!!! Hope you have many happy miles in your new STI.
Old 08 June 2004, 09:57 AM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Cheers, B!

I posted the same "review" on the lancerregister forums, and someone (quite rightly) pointed out that my assessment was based mostly on cost....

....I think the final message is... if you drive both & prefer the Evo, the step up in running costs from the Scooby is such that you'd be better getting a 300/320 Evo instead, because there probably won't be much difference between their running costs.

I know I will love my Scooby..... I can't wait to get behind the wheel.... And who cares about inevitable "Top Gear"-type conversations?? The Scooby is now, and always will be, a very quick & brilliant car. That's enough for me!!
Old 09 June 2004, 04:54 PM
McRash
Scooby Regular

Default Very Objective - good on you!

Good review and having owned both I would agree wholeheartedly. I had the WRX 03 PPP for a year or so and loved it but hated the fact that it felt "soggy" after driving my company car - Honda CTR. I bought the EVO.

The Evo now makes the CTR feel soggy :-(

The Evo only does about 8k miles p.a. though - if I was doing 22k I would probably have opted for..............................an M3 OR a WR1.