Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

cyprus imports

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 09:03 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyprus imports

has any one tried to import a car themselves from cyprus????????????? And got a good deal?
Old 08 June 2004, 09:08 PM
the chosen one
Scooby Regular

think someone imported a toyota corolla from there, the carlos sainz edition but can't remember who it was exactly, was about a year ago i think.
Old 08 June 2004, 09:15 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

I nearly looked into importing a subaru from Cyprus.
My folks live out there and when over there last year, i stumbled across a blue 3 door coupe, i wasnt sure what model it was exactly but it had '555' seats, gold alloys etc. Wasnt sure on the milage but when i converted it back from Cypriot pounds to UK pounds, it worked out to about £9000!
Looking back now it was a bargain, the only thing that put me off was the fact i would have to source a shipping agent etc and didnt know how much import tax i would have to pay, therefore i didnt bother looking into it any further.

One thing i will say, if you can find a shipping agent and find out how much import tax you need to pay, you can pick up some propper bargains, the amount of Impreza Turbos and Evos that are for sale out there is silly, excellent prices aswell, all right hand drive also. Only thing to watch out for is spare parts and servicing back here in the UK.

Look into it though and you will land yourself a bargain!
Old 08 June 2004, 11:34 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

If your parents live there, then you'll know the state of the roads over there, as well as the amount of abuse they take on the nightly runs to and from Nicosia...personally I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole, unless it was VERY carefully checked over
Old 08 June 2004, 11:37 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I guess it's all changed now that Cyprus is a member of the EU?
Old 09 June 2004, 09:20 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder if this means it is now possible to import ex-MOD stuff from Cyprus? Previously - due to some silly law, non military personal couldn't touch them. Thus there are loads of Lightweight Land Rovers rotting away there.

Maybe handy as the bodyparts and bulkheads for those things are like rocking horse excretment.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:42 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Aye my parents live in Paphos and I've been to look at a few of these shops over the years.

They look really cheap on the surface and it only costs approx £300 to ship, however you then have to add on import tax which is something stupid like 20% (been a while so I can't remember correctly). The money you save just doesn't make it worthwhile.

Particularly as pointed out the roads are naff and although most of these have come direct from Japan the garage owners like to test them out

Remember being in Nicosia and seeing some lovely stuff at the local Mitsubishi garage including a bling bling black Evo Pajero, full black leather, blacked out windows etc.

Probably not worth the effort really.
Best idea would have been to get your parents to buy it tax free, keep it for 6 months and then ship it over here. That's changed now Cyprus has joing the EU..............May 1st.