Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What are the disadvantages of buying a stolen/recovered motor?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 10:43 AM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question What are the disadvantages of buying a stolen/recovered motor?

cheers
Old 25 June 2004, 10:56 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you come to sell it. price will be lower and most people will avoid it if it is not hpi clear.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:57 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree.....if you care about resale then avoid
Old 25 June 2004, 12:58 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
agree.....if you care about resale then avoid
....though you will have paid less for it in the first place, so in relative terms you should not loose any more money than with any car.

I had one once. Paid less as it was stolen recovered, but sold it for just as much as if it wasn't when I came to sell. So only good in my experience (though mine was stolen recovered 2 years before I got it, so there were no real damage issues to worry about).
Old 25 June 2004, 03:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

but when you buy it you are not exposed to the hardship of selling it.....as far as you know you see it, like it and buy it.

when you sell it you will have to deal with the ppl that dont think like you did and when its sat on your drive for months you wont care how much you saved on buying it!
Old 25 June 2004, 03:53 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
but when you buy it you are not exposed to the hardship of selling it.....as far as you know you see it, like it and buy it.

when you sell it you will have to deal with the ppl that dont think like you did and when its sat on your drive for months you wont care how much you saved on buying it!
You have a point, but from experience I didn't see a problem. It isn't easy selling any car, but I found it easier to sell an equivalent car for less that everything else that was around. You do get people that will not touch it, but if you put it in the advert they should hopefully stay away.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:44 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Although it may seem ok when bought, just say lock damage etc. it may have been thrashed to a brink of within its life, or whacked off a kerb. We used to buy loads of s/r cars and generally went well if looked with at with care,but some bad experiances to, just be careful and should it be ok.
Kam
Old 25 June 2004, 10:50 PM
SJJ84
Scooby Regular

Thats the same with any car tho, you don't know how it's been driven or what damage has been done to it in the past. Just a risk you take buying second hand. Bloke I know only buys stolen recovered or accident damaged cars, buy them cheap and then sell them cheap.
Old 26 June 2004, 09:31 AM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

There are loads of cars out there that have been bumped,stolen recovered etc....that are not on the hpi.Just look in the back of the auto trader in the breakers section and you will see damaged cars etc that are not recorded,so not on the hpi.
Old 26 June 2004, 11:15 AM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

if the price is right deffo worth buying...
Old 26 June 2004, 12:32 PM
SteveV-WRX
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I do exactly thisas a hobby, buy and sell either lightly accident damaged or stolen recovered cars to make a bit of extra money. As it happens ive got a lightly damaged scooby at the mo for sale at the moment in general.

The salvage trade is very heavily regulated, especially after the very bad press 10/15 years ago with shut and cut cars stories and EEC regulations.

With any purchase of a second hand car it is all a chance. I'm very honest with all of my sales, I tell buyers where I brought them from, what the damage was and what I spent to repair. Also insurers and salvage companies have a structured system to rate the damage to a vehicle, and only the lightest damaged are allowed to be put back on the road, and half of them have to be Vehicle Identity Checked even before that!

Would I buy one, yes, purely because according to government stats, 1 in 10 cars have had damage to them so at least I know what it is and i'm getting a cheap car for it.

Steve