Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Seriously considering a Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo... Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 09:29 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously considering a Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo... Comments?

I knew it would happen, I'm getting a little bored with not having a turbo!!

The CRX has been a fantastic car, handles and brakes fantasically. No power steering gives loads of feedback, but a pain when having to park the car!

I have a list (don't all men) of cars I've wanted since I've passed my driving test!!!

My list included Golf GTI's, Puegeot 306, Subaru Imprezas, Honda CRX.... all of which I've owned recently!

I've always fancied an Italian car, and the Fiat Coupe or an Alfa GTV have really appealled!

I've been offered a good deal, which means swapping my CRX and a very small sum of money for a Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo (so 195bhp, instead of 220bhp from the 20v).

Anything I should look for when checking the car, bearing in mind it's:

P-reg 1996
2.0 16v Turbo
113,000 miles
Full Fiat History up to 109,000 miles
12 months MOT
Flakey paint on the front bumper
Clutch slipping in high speeds in the 3rd and 4th gear!

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old 28 June 2004, 09:41 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Friend has a 20v it is a lovely car to drive, holds pace with the scoob in all but the tightest of turns, he has had a few electrical glitches, leccy windows, dash lights etc but nothing major, only downside is the pricey cambelt change... there is a very good forum but cant recall the name at the mo, but i'm sure a search here will highlight, bascially they are bargain supercar IMHO
Old 28 June 2004, 09:43 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 16v engine wasnt one of the best, personally id look round for a 20v turbo.

Tony
Old 28 June 2004, 09:48 AM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

Yup, good car, but as with all turbo cars thats quite a high milage, but if looked after will still be strong.

I own a 20v turbo and absolutly love it, styling and performance wise. Also (touching wood) ive never had any problems at all with it in the two years ive owned it. Infact you never really hear of electrical problems on the fiat coupe forum. http://forum.fccuk.org

Cambelt changes arn't a problem on the 16v (same angine as Lancia Integrale) either so don't worry about that (even the 20v can be done for £350 inc all tensioners and vat)

Anyway go to the fiat coupe forum and ask there.

But in my opinion they really are the bargain perfomance car of the moment.

Heres a piccy of mine just to wet the appitite:

(how do you put images on ?

Last edited by slimtim; 28 June 2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 28 June 2004, 10:13 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I would check out the insurance first, when I got quotes for a 16v and 20v turbo, it was sky high, really stupidly more expensive than all the other performance cars I thought about!?!

Cheers

Nick
Old 28 June 2004, 12:42 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Tony, I'm not really looking at it as a long term car! Just something to tide over my turbo fetish at not much money! It has the added bonus of being quite a pretty looking car as well!

Thanks Tim, I was scanning the FCC website last night. Loads of info on the cars (and something I read was that the 20v has more problems than the 16v )

Torque Italia are quite close to me, so £375 for the cambelt and £165 for a yearly service!

Nick, insurance isn't a major problem! 31 years old, with 7 years NCB. It will cost me an extra £22 to insure a standard Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo, over my modified CRX!!
Old 28 June 2004, 12:45 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine had a choice between a 200SX and a Fiat Coupe and although it really wanted the Coupe, he went with the 200SX purely from an insurance perspective!

Personally (don't shoot me for it!) I find the look of the 200SX quite bland and I know my driving abilities are not up to coping with a powerful RWD car fish-tailing down the street!!!
Old 28 June 2004, 04:09 PM
Doctorfrag
Scooby Regular

I'm very pleased with my Coupe, never let me down, and despite tuning her quite extensively, (touch wood) nothing has broken, just usual consumables.
The 16vt is quite reliable, but for reasonable money you can get a plus or 'le' version which both look good with the bodykit.
The plus and le have the 6-speed box, strut brace Brembos cross drilled, starter button, but are probably worth the extra outlay.

Joe
Old 28 June 2004, 05:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get on the fccuk website, I have a 20 valve turbo which is a lovely car but I have had a few issues to do with boost control and oil consumption, better made than you would expect and easily tunable, GrahamL on the fccuk website will sell you a chip for the 20VT for 25 quid. The handle quite well but the standard leather seats dont give enough support. Have a look in the for sale section at fccuk as you will get better looked after examples than through dealers.

Fuel consumption is better on the 20VT as well.

I think the prices seem to have stabilised a bit after going into freefall as the first owners started bailing out pre cambelt, now its more of an enthusiasts car as the first owners probably have Audi TT's. I expect the prices will stay the same for a while now, like the Sierra Cosworth did.
Old 28 June 2004, 07:57 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

The 16v engine wasnt one of the best, personally id look round for a 20v turbo.
Agreed...

The 20v ones are rapido though!
Old 28 June 2004, 08:26 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Had a 16v from new driven mainly by my wife, only had it for a year.

Kept leaking loads of oil, had 2 new sumps, broke down a few times, got broken into twice through the door locks, got rid of it beacuse she needed a more reliable car for her work.

Good grip, but very little feel through the steering, wandered a bit on the motorway, asymetric tyres were pricey and the fronts were replaced despite the lowish mileage.

Some lag but really quite quick, good traction, quick for medium to high overtaking speeds.

This one had a sunroof and getting comfy with head room was a real problem for me, 6ft, not the comfiest of seats although interior trim was good.

Used to get positive comments from other motorists
Old 28 June 2004, 08:30 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

A guy at work has one & insists on calling it a Ferrari
Old 28 June 2004, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy on the Fccuk (Nigel, prob will say his piece on here) website has a 355 and reckoned his modded Coupe 20 VT was a match for it in most situations, they are however whatever you do a Fiat not a Ferrari and whoever say otherwise is one step away from owning a MR2 with a Ferrari kit, if you want a Ferrari, save up.

I bought mine because the wife thinks the Impreza is a Chav chariot, then again I have Chav tendencies such as wanting a Staff.

What I like is that it is a rare sight, you see another you let on and generally they let on back, they are rare because only 75,000 were ever made (total worldwide production) and many are in garages being fixed !

Only joking but they are a car that need looking after, you HAVE to check the oil every week without fail.