Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone own a Focus 2.0 Zetec ESP???

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 03:23 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone own a Focus 2.0 Zetec ESP???

Thinking of getting one of these to replace my Clio 1.8 16V.

Want something reasonably quick and that everything works on (fed up with french build quality and electrical bits failing after 2/3 years old). I like good handling cars with a bit of go in them so hope that the Focus is right for me.

Would appreciate anyones comments who owns one.

Thanks
Old 28 June 2004, 03:31 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

what about an ST170 ? probably in the same price bracket as the ESP but you get all the goodies on the ST170, also i think ford are doing a years free insurance at the moment.
But cant comment on what the ESP is like to drive etc.
Old 28 June 2004, 03:38 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

I had an ESP a couple of years back. Very good ownership experience all round. The performance is not especially good, but it is acceptable and cruises nicely. Cabin feels very solidly built and is generally a pleasant place to be, although is a little dated now.

Handling is very confident and is great fun. Steering is expecially good. Only downside is rather a lot of body roll. Grip is pretty good - the 2.0 ESP runs on slightly bigger alloys than the 1.6 / 1.8 which gives it a small advantage.

Insurance is extremely cheap for a 2.0 - group 8. This is the main reason I chose this car in the first place.

Brakes are good - the 2.0 benefits from disks all round as standard unlike the 1.6 / 1.8. The ESP system is very reliable and doesn't cut in unless it needs to. There were more than a few occasions where I was very greatful that I had ESP. It prevents snap-oversteer on wet surfaces and reduces understeer in normal driving conditions.

As an all rounder this car does an exceptional job. It does feel like a quality car and is well engineered throughout. Pick up a low mileage one of these on the used market and you're looking at unmatched value for money. Just don't expect it to blow you away with it's abilities.

The ST170 is even better, but there have been a few reliability concerns with early models and insurance is fairly steep at group 15. There has also been lots of criticism over the ST's massively tall gearing that doesn't suit the engine at all well.
Old 28 June 2004, 03:44 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

Here's my old one:

Old 28 June 2004, 04:04 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

ST170 is a definate no-no. Crazy insurance bracket for an underpowered car when compared to its chassis.

The interior of the Focus is light years ahead of my old Clio and will be a real treat for me when comapred to the usual suspect French build quality.

My performance needs have been answered in the form of a CBR 400 Tri-Arm that I have aquired from my brother which is also why I have put-off buying an Impreza for another handful of years. I had decided on a bugeye unitl realising they were insurance group 19 compared to a classics 17!!!

I really do think the Focus answers the majority of my needs albeit a Ford which I remember saying I would never buy a few years back

Can someone confirm to me if the 2.0 Zetec has a front heated screen???
Old 28 June 2004, 04:06 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

My 2.0 Zetec ESP had a heated front screen, but I bought it used. Not sure if it's standard equipment, I'm pretty sure it is.
Old 28 June 2004, 04:20 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

DavidChief,

As you seem to be a wealth of knowledge, can you tell me;

1) What are the service intervalls?
2) Does the steering have reach and rake adjustment?
3) Do the front seats have height adjustment?

Apologies for the all the questions

Last edited by prodriva; 28 June 2004 at 04:21 PM. Reason: must learn to read before posting

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2004, 04:25 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

1) 12500 miles OR 12 months
2) Yes
3) Drivers only
Old 28 June 2004, 04:29 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

DavidChief,

Thanks for the info mate. Service intervals is great news. Much better than the Clio's which is every 6k.
Old 28 June 2004, 04:33 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Prodriva you say about a Bugeye being insurance group 19 and a classic being insurance group 17. Every insurance company i have called for quotes on both a bugeye and classic have quoted me between £100 and £450 more for a classic than a bugeye. Thats why im planning to get a bugeye pretty soon.

It might be worth phoning some insurance companies and getting quotes on a bugeye.

Other to that a car that really is worth looking at is a Seat leon Cupra, you can pick up an 03 reg with less than 10k miles for around £12k, 180bhp standard, 6 speed box, and insurance group 16, not a bad price package for a VAG car.
Old 28 June 2004, 04:47 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

mgg,

Thanks for the advice mate but the bike is mine now and that will more than answer my performance needs. The Scoob will have to wait that little bit longer. I've waited long enough, believe me, so a few more years wont make a difference.

As for the Seat Leon Cupra, its not an R. A colleague has a black one (Cupra R) and nice as it is bits just keep falling off.

Nope, bike and Focus will do me fine for a few years.
Old 30 June 2004, 11:10 PM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We have had ours for a year now and covered 26k with zero problems.

It does 350 mile per tank regardless of how it is driven which is generally very hard.
It's ony now needing a new set of tyres at 30K which is amazing and all four are evenly worn unlike the scoob! (Conti Sport Contacts)
My only niggle is the seat doesn't adjust low enough but it is still more fun to thrash down a badly rutted A road than the scoob (sad to say but true when compared to our MY01 WRX with Eibachs and Powerstation geometry - maybe somethings up with the scoob or is the focus just very good?) as it seem oblivious to the road condition and the extra ride height comes in handy but obviously it lacks the power.

Look around and bargains are there, we paid £7100 last june with only 4K from new for a 2001 Y plate three door from a private seller. Still see them advertised for more than that now.
We looked at replacing it recently but couldn't find anything to compare with the overal package at a decent price

Good luck

Stephen
Old 01 July 2004, 08:38 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen F
We have had ours for a year now and covered 26k with zero problems.

It does 350 mile per tank regardless of how it is driven which is generally very hard.
It's ony now needing a new set of tyres at 30K which is amazing and all four are evenly worn unlike the scoob! (Conti Sport Contacts)
My only niggle is the seat doesn't adjust low enough but it is still more fun to thrash down a badly rutted A road than the scoob (sad to say but true when compared to our MY01 WRX with Eibachs and Powerstation geometry - maybe somethings up with the scoob or is the focus just very good?) as it seem oblivious to the road condition and the extra ride height comes in handy but obviously it lacks the power.

Look around and bargains are there, we paid £7100 last june with only 4K from new for a 2001 Y plate three door from a private seller. Still see them advertised for more than that now.
We looked at replacing it recently but couldn't find anything to compare with the overal package at a decent price

Good luck

Stephen

That's an absolute bargain. I hope I can find a similar deal as I'm after a 3-door with low low miles, prefererably in black or anything other than silver.
Old 01 July 2004, 11:09 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I had a 2.0 Zetec ESP and my workmate has it now.It's now 4 years old and done 56k miles without any problems apart from a blocked windscreen washer pump.

I still enjoy the odd drive in it, the steering feel is excellent for a family hatch and so is the handling.
The ESP is not intrusive and you can have a play with it, keep your foot flat to the floor on a roundabout and it will check the understeer, turn in a bit sharper and the back will step out a touch and then be help by the ESP.

Another workmte has the st170 but the 2.0ESP is it's equal for nine tenths of the time. The ST170 only makes any sort of impression on the 2.0ESP above 5500rpm and on the very limit of handling. Workmates ST170 does have ESP although it is no standard on the ST170 or the later 2.0 Zetecs.

Cheers
Lee
Old 01 July 2004, 02:04 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

The 2.0 looks very smart in magnum grey. Mine was silver which I liked.
Old 01 July 2004, 05:02 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your comments people.

One thing I have forgotten to ask is, can the ESP be switched off or is it permanently on???
Old 01 July 2004, 06:46 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
Thanks for all your comments people.

One thing I have forgotten to ask is, can the ESP be switched off or is it permanently on???
There is a button that turns off the ESP and Traction control if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 July 2004, 09:16 AM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

You can turn it off, although it's mainly the TC you would want to disable. Turning off the ESP in the Focus is like turning off the ABS... no point! It's not intrusive, so it's not a problem unless you want to get the back end out.
Old 02 July 2004, 11:31 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I meant the Traction Control.

Thanks for all the commnents Just got to find one now. Not many for sale round here and they're all asking top whack.
Old 09 July 2004, 12:18 AM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

They are excellent cars for the money and over sweeping B roads they will hold their own.

Esp I found, is very intrusive. The button is next to the gear lever and easy ti turn off.

Great cars for the money - we bought ours 2 years ago and it was 20 mths old with 11K miles for £7,500. Air con, CD, heated front w/s, black, great spec.

Drove a Leon TDI the other day, much more fun though!
Old 09 July 2004, 12:50 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu-exScoobOwner
Drove a Leon TDI the other day, much more fun though!
What the Leon is more fun than the Focus? How come, I thought the Leon's chassis was supposed to be average at best.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:35 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can't comment on the 2.0 but I sold my MY99 scoob in Feb and bought a 1.8 zetec and can honestly say that the Focus pisses over the Impreza's chassis.

Ok .. the lack of oomph took a while to get used to.. but you can stil have nearly as much fun through the twisty bits...!

Never thought I'd say that .. considering the Impreza had Prodrive springs and bumpsteer mod etc but it's true..

And as for petrol..... PMSL .... Bring on the £1.50 litre..... it would still work out cheaper

PS Buy yourself a silver one and you'll find the total anonimity can be bliss after going from the scoob
Old 14 July 2004, 12:00 AM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blip
What the Leon is more fun than the Focus? How come, I thought the Leon's chassis was supposed to be average at best.
Blip,
Focus chassis v.good but 2 ltr engine is all about top end and no urge. Leon tdi definitely quicker and more fun to drive. Front end bite and responsiveness similar, although steering lighter in the Leon.
Old 14 July 2004, 08:11 AM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

If you want diesel style power delivery get the diesel Focus rather than the petrol. The 1.8 TDCi is a very good unit.

The Leon isn't a bad car, but IMHO is dull to drive. It's much the same story with all the other Golf spin offs.
Old 14 July 2004, 11:27 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu-exScoobOwner
Blip,
Focus chassis v.good but 2 ltr engine is all about top end and no urge. Leon tdi definitely quicker and more fun to drive. Front end bite and responsiveness similar, although steering lighter in the Leon.
Stu - which Leon TDi was it: 110, 130 or 150???