Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

92 Passat problem

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2004, 09:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Passat problem

ok, ok, I *know*, but hey, why not abuse SN every once in a while.

As some of you know, I now have a rather tastefull 92 Passat GLS.

It has a bit of a problem with overheating in traffic, get's pretty damn hot (110+ on the temp gauge) and the little coolant light starts flashing and then I go all spazzy and start worrying (it's cos I'm getting old, if the CEL light came on in the beast I'd just ignore it until it went away )

It is going into the garage on friday, so they'll have a look, but I'm after ideas as to what might be up with it. I know it could be a myriad of things, but ideas are welcome for things I can check and how to check them.

I know the radiator is not leaking as there is no crap being leaked out, plus the coolant level is staying where it should, I've not topped it up for the past two weeks and it has got hot a few times between there (I'm avoiding sitting in traffic when I can, just in case).

Could gunk from years of coolant cause a blockage or something, which might cause and overheating problem?

So, what to check? Coolant level (have done so) radiator leaks (done, does not seem to be leaking) fan running (guess just get the car warm and get out and pop the bonnet and see if fan is working) Water pump? Thermostat? Anything else?
Old 24 August 2004, 09:28 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say you've covered the key points -- the only other one I can think of is head gasket failure but you'd see water in the oil / oil in the water. It would also pressurise the cooling system so you'd lose water.

Maybe a good flush through and a new thermostat would do it ...