Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MGZS 180

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2004, 01:52 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGZS 180

I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these cars. It's the V6, 52 plate 12k miles and he's looking for 9-91/2 grand for it.

Heart wants Scooby and always will, but finding exactly the right one... in the right area is prooving difficult..

Thanks,

-mark
Old 27 August 2004, 03:49 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

So when do you retire then mate???
dave
Old 27 August 2004, 05:10 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Pretty good chassis for a FWD'er, dated interior but chassis set-up is still amongst the best IMO, nice sounding engine, not that fast in the scheme of things but certainly fun....
Old 27 August 2004, 05:28 PM
tallsteve
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice enough, and as previously said it's rated as one of the best FWD motors - but don't compromise and get yourself a scoob! 9-ish thou should get you a nice tidy example, keep checking the For Sale threads and one will turn up!! 2nd hand values on scoobs are relatively low - and buyers are hard to come by so you're in a good position!

I spent about a year waiting for a UK Legacy Turbo to turn up (I had a much lower budget!) - worth the wait!
Old 27 August 2004, 06:22 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Most magazines rate them well apart from the dated interior, the handling is quite raw and has been compared to a classic scoob.

The price for the 52 private example is too high though. Motorhouse 2000 car supermaket has 2003 UK ZS180's for £8699

Cheers
Lee
Old 27 August 2004, 09:32 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

You want to speak to MGJohn, i think i read on another thread that he has one.
Old 28 August 2004, 02:18 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by madfiddler
I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these cars. It's the V6, 52 plate 12k miles and he's looking for 9-91/2 grand for it.

Heart wants Scooby and always will, but finding exactly the right one... in the right area is prooving difficult..

Thanks,

-mark
Follow your heart.
Old 28 August 2004, 11:31 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

The MG ZS......ask moi ....?

I like mine very much - but then I would say that wouldn't I? .... one of the finest 'ordinary' production cars around IMHO.....

One or two others like them too. Have a look at :

http://www.xpower-mg.com/forum/showt...threadid=17247

Just noticed ... 'madfiddler's' been there done that...lol... but, the url may be of interest to others here.

Mind you, I prefer driving my old MG and Rover turbos ...but then, I'm 'funny' like that...always have been...

Best advice... don't take any notice of what others may tell you either way about these cars. Wisest course of action.... drive at least one example .... have a long demonstration - not a quick buz round the block. That's what I did although previously I had a run in a pre-production 'mule' about four years ago.... that did it for me... I had to have one... above all I like the ZS's handling.. suits me exactly.

Had it 15 months now ... 10,000 miles... I've driven it about a third of those, my wife and son the rest. Never missed a beat in all that time. Just returned from an extensive continental round trip. Flawless. The oil level is still the same as when I checked it the day I took delivery last year !! .... surely that can't be right ... but, it is! The tyre pressures have never needed adjustment either. Never known that before on any car! The car in Trophy Blue has the attractive 17" straight spoke alloy wheels... I do keep an eye on levels and such things though ... always wise to do so as my 'better half' never does so.

When I first got the car, I was just a little concerned with the stiffness of the suspension.... on some less than smooth surfaces jolts were noticeable but the benefits of the better handling far outweighed that aspect of the cars ride quality. However, after about 5,000 miles, that aspect of the ride quality became progressively much improved - I dont think it was a case of getting used to it as I drove other cars more frequently - I can even take those 'speed humps' at any angle and the jolt is much less severe than in other cars with apparently superior suspension travel. Amazing! This improvement in ride quality is still with the original taught handling which for me is the car's greatest asset and the one I most appreciate.

But I stress, DON'T take my or anyone's else's word for it - find out for yourself and then decide.

Last edited by MGJohn; 28 August 2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 30 August 2004, 06:16 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone.. As for retirement... I'm must be getting younger then... cos my car at the moment IS (sic) a Rover 216GSi.... and the MG isn't quite as 'old' *grin* And yes.... the interior is pretty much the same in both cars

I've looked around price wise and believe that 8-8.5k is a more realistic price for it...

However, like a lot of people have said... Go where your heart is. I have driven it now... and I felt the handling was pretty nice, tyres were a little squealy for me... but it just didn't feel fast..... However, it'll be a damn site cheaper to run and with the missus talking about 'family expansion' I'm thinking it may be a better bet...

I just know if I got it, a couple of days later I'd probably be back here.... dreaming...

One member's selling what sounds like a mint 04 wrx and it sounds right up my street, but wifey if says no to the price then I have to be to good husband

You're gonna think I'm REALLY stupid here... but have never driven a Scooby... I just know I want one....

*Sigh* maybe I should just pay the money and get the Rover through the mot.......
Old 30 August 2004, 08:50 PM
Dave C.
Scooby Regular

If you buy it i have in my garage a brand new piper full stainless exhaust for a 180 saloon £100.
Old 30 August 2004, 08:58 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

>>tyres were a little squealy for me<<...

That could simply be under inflated tyres ....

>>but it just didn't feel fast<<

That quality is typical of many 'fast' cars ....
Old 30 August 2004, 10:12 PM
bloke
Scooby Regular

MGJohn and I may have ihad a few run-ins about MGs but I do think the MGZS 180 is a decent car.

But in all honesty it sounds like you really want a scoob so I think you would always regret buying the MG. Get a scoob and enjoy. They are expensive to run so maybe set your budget lower to allow for the running costs. Maybe a slightly older but standard UK model would be a wise buy for you and you should be able to find a private used one for 7 and a half fairly easily.

Old 01 September 2004, 12:12 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

thanks all...

Last edited by madfiddler; 19 October 2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 19 October 2004, 12:21 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Well, ended up getting the 180. Had it almost a week now, and honestly... it's bundles of fun. Really pleased I went for it. I'll get a few years out of it I guess before the inevitable, but for the time being, finances being what they are.. it was the best option, and I'm pleased I went with it...
Old 19 October 2004, 12:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I'd of got a year older model for £6k to be honest

sounds like you are enjoying it though
Old 19 October 2004, 12:41 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Ended up costing £8k, so with 14k on the clock I don't think that's a bad deal.. ? !
Old 19 October 2004, 12:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Old 19 October 2004, 04:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoying a Rover product, are you sure, is that allowed on here ?

My dads just bought a ZT190, a year old with all the bits like + pack and intelligence pack for 11,700, he is really thrilled with it, and I think its one of the best looking cars on the road, the MG stuff really lifts the grandad wagon the 75.

How does the engine differ in the ZS 180 to the ZT190, they are both the 2.5 v6, have MG slightly detuned the ZS motor so as its not too much quicker than the flagship model ?

I can sort of see some of the points about MG rehashing old models but I think a lot recite what they read in EVO rather than actually trying one.
Old 19 October 2004, 04:26 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Haha

I haven't been in the 190, and only had the 180 for less than a week.

The engine appears to be nice an pokey, need to control it in 1 + 2 gears otherwise it can be wheelspin city... but it handles nicely, little twisting around bends. I was really pleasantly surprised. I had a little test drive of it originally, but that didn't do much for me.. It wasn't until I got it, and started playing that I decided it was an awefully good car for the cash.. Mind you, I've only had a Rover 216, Fiesta 1.4s, and a Metro to compare it too..

If only the rear lights didn't have Rover embosed on them
Old 19 October 2004, 10:13 PM
Rokerlad
Scooby Regular

If the interior is anything like my brothers old MG ZR 160, it looked it had come straight out of a Montego. Nasty, nasty nasty!!!! Couldn't live with that every day...sorry.
Old 19 October 2004, 10:19 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Well the ZS isn't as bad as my old Rover.. The indicator stalks didn't manage a design change, but that doesn't really bother me. You've just got to look at classic Porsches in the lates 80's early 90's for really poor interior.

Seats are nice and comfy though..