Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ar*e

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 11:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ar*e

Just checked out my time (!!) for the 1/4m at Crail on the 22nd August - Crail site for those that care

The 406 put in a bloody amazing time (15.105) relative to a lot of other cars that were running that day especially when you consider it was my first and only run - so I was a little rusty off the line - and that the engine blew up 15m from the line!!! It was faster than the VTS's/106 GTI's, the 206 GTI's including the one that looked well rapid on the day and was around the same as some of the modded hondas of which there were a few. I'm pretty gutted she let go on the first run as I feel it could have defo set a few cats amoungst the pigons had she even lasted half the friggin day!

It also set a far better time than the Vectra V6 GSI that run that day and tanked a 325i on the way up.

I've bought another 406 V6 but I think I'll wait until next year to run it because I'd hate myself if something went wrong again so soon

Still, its a lot of kit and a good whack of performance for £2k........or £4k if you blow them up every 15 thousand miles

I'll put the next one in the 14s and hopefully more than once
Old 31 August 2004, 03:05 PM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Bad luck about the engine
I know how it feels though
I blew the turbo on my Scooby at Crail. still managed a 13.6 sec run though and drove it home to Ayrshire
Old 31 August 2004, 04:59 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

Very good time! Is it all standard?
Old 31 August 2004, 06:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It has a cat back exhaust but its pretty restrictive and I'm sure does f-all power wise. I'm hopeful I can take her into the very high 14s with a good start and a completed run! I just hope the one I'm getting tomorrow is as good as the old one. It would suck if the previous one was a 'good un' and the new one is just 'normal' Either way I'll be treating it with kid gloves until my bank account looks a little healther

Driving home on a blown turbo - are you nutts!?!
Old 01 September 2004, 11:11 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Driving home on a blown turbo - are you nutts!?!
Obviousley

Bit far to walk though

Last edited by allywrx; 01 September 2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01 September 2004, 12:29 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Kenny - where did you find the new 3.0 406? I've been keeping my eyes out.
Old 01 September 2004, 02:03 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Good time - well done mate
Old 01 September 2004, 02:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

IIRC I think he mentioned that it was on ebay.....
Old 01 September 2004, 02:13 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Ah - good idea. I've been spending most of my time looking on Autotrader.
Old 01 September 2004, 06:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah I see running a 406 up a drag strip is a bit like the Spitfire in WW2, it had extra performance available at the touch of a button to get you out of trouble but the engine was buggered when you get home.
Old 01 September 2004, 09:06 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Kenny - where did you find the new 3.0 406? I've been keeping my eyes out
Yeah I got a new one form ebay and just got back with it 2 minutes ago The bodywork is nowhere near as nice as my other one (different colour unfortunatly) and the interior is a little more worn and scuffed but I really couldn't stay off the road and she drove well so I got it. The suspension, gearbox, clutch and steering all feel tighter and more positive than in the other one and the engine is pulling well and is slightly smoother. There is a nippy noise coming from somewhere in the trasmission but when I find it I have lots of very healthy donor parts available

I am VERY paraniod driving it though Every time I gave her some in 3rd to overtake a lorry I was totally sh!tting myself when lifting off at high(ish) rpm. I guess until my bank balance is a little healthier I'll continue to be worried. It sounds kind of feeble without the custom exhaust as well so I'll have to get that and the bigger alloys switched over pronto

Happy to be mobile again - just a shame the previous owners of this car weren't as careful with the bodywork/interior as John was with the last. Ho-hum.
Old 01 September 2004, 11:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Swap over the best bits from each car and break the other?

I was nice to the engine honestly

But I think you drive your cars pretty hard. No shame in that, ask Job about how long his Alpina and Cosworth company cars lasted.... lifetime of new cars was in days he drove them that hard, yet his Legacy is on 227000 miles on the original engine and turbo

French cars and hard drivers don't go together IMHO for a long time, things tend to break.
Old 02 September 2004, 09:02 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I won't lie, the engine did get a good thrashing! On the flipside I've always maintained this is why my cars always seem to perform fractionally better than book. When I picked up the new 406 last night it felt strangled and slow but halfway up the A1 from Newcastle after a good few miles and a few hard overtakes, high revs and high load she seemed to clear her throat and come good. My auntie had a gsi corsa (pish) and the injectors clogged because she didn't trash it (ever!). The garage actually told my uncle to take it out once and month and spank it

There are some bits I can swap over but unfortunatly given that one car is green and one car is blue I can't use the panels from the old one Or I could and I'd have a very strange car If you could perfectly merge both cars you'd have the most mint R-reg 70k miler ever

"French cars and hard drivers don't go together IMHO for a long time, things tend to break"

Should that not read:

"French cars and any driver don't go together IMHO for a short time, things do break"

Old 02 September 2004, 10:38 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Stick the running gear in the green one then?
Old 02 September 2004, 11:06 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Do you know what let go on the engine? Just curious as to what actually happened ... dropped valve? Holed piston?

It's a morbid fascination I have, dating back to my youth spent on motorbikes ... too many forensic examinations of knackered old Yamaha and Suzuki 2-strokes
Old 03 September 2004, 12:26 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Still don't know the exact cause of what happened. I'll have a dig around when I get it back in my car port. I went down to the garage today to get some bits and bobs out of the old pug and it was very depressing to see the two of them together. The old one looks so much more classy and is in even better condition than I remembered in my head Ah well, for £2k what can you expect

Probably going to have to switch the gearboxes over as well as I've identified the 'grating' noise and coming from the gearbox. At least when that is done the blue pug will run sweeter than the green one did which is, at the end of the day, the important thing from a primary mode of transport.
Old 03 September 2004, 09:21 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

B*gger Sorry to hear it
Old 03 September 2004, 05:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Was back down today to get my sunglasses from the green one and it seems some local ****** (its parked outside a garage in Leith (dodgy)) has ran a key down the side of it. Great I f*cking love my luck
Old 03 September 2004, 05:25 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate