impreza vs elise

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2004, 09:57 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default impreza vs elise

good evening all,

Just a little question, it probably has already asked but hey it dont matter!!! . I have an impreza P1 and my b-mate has a impreza 555, and are mates have two series 1 elises and a series 2 elise and 1 with a clio 16v and one with a clio cup.

Me and my mate are getting sick off them taking the **** out of are cars so we are going to take them all to a track to see who is king . now i know that elises are great cars and that both clios are capable. all i want to know is has anyone ever been on a track and actually raced any of these?

Thanks

trb
Old 24 October 2004, 10:06 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yep - and you'll find it very hard to shake them off - especially if it is a tight track. Did a track day about 18 months ago (more of a driver training day - but you get the idea). By the end of the day, both Scoobs and Elise's were lapping at the same speed.

Don't know about the Clio - but that is also a good car.

The P1 is a fine car, but it will come down to driver skill, not which car is quicker on paper. We always go on about the Scoob being quick A to B (which it is), but so is an Elise. It would depend on what state of tune the Elise's are in, but they are very fast cars.

They probably take a higher degree of driver skill to extract the ultimate speed (Scoob's ALWAYS flatter the driver ), but they carry such speed through corners, with very little roll, that they soon become the more rewarding car to drive. Scoobs have more mechanical grip (an Elise will spin out long before the Scoob), but their handling is in a different league.

Enjoy it, you'll have great fun, just don't be too cocky!
Old 25 October 2004, 10:12 AM
ocean
Scooby Regular

The Clio cup will beat the P1 on track, mark my words. The Elises will be fastest of all.
Old 25 October 2004, 10:24 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ocean
The Clio cup will beat the P1 on track, mark my words. The Elises will be fastest of all.
Sounds like someone is trying to bait the scoobs again
Old 25 October 2004, 10:26 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The Clio cup is a reasonable match for a UK car on track- the P1 will be quicker, but this is larglely dependent on the circuit. I have a clio cup race car (not a road car) and its about a second a lap slower round Oulton than my mates STi5 RA- pretty much identical to the P1.

The Elise handles like no other, but the basic 1.8s struggle for power against and Impreza. I love elises, they handle like s dream, and the 160+ bhp models, and even the 111s, are incredibly quick and fun. However I have to fold my spine in two to get in and out and this gets a little tiring after a while

Whilst I appreciate that everyone will have differing views of the above, the above information is based on actual experience.

/flame suit on/
Old 25 October 2004, 11:49 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Try a new 111R (I did last week) - stunning car That is certainly quick enough to embarrass a lot of very exotic cars. RRH is right - if the Elise's are the basic 118bhp S1s then they will struggle for straight line speed. But then the car only weighs about 700 Kg. If the Elise's are Sport 160's or 111S's / R's - then they will destroy most cars on a track.
Old 25 October 2004, 11:55 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

agreed
Old 25 October 2004, 12:00 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

One of the most impressive laps I've been a passenger in was at the Nurburgring in a bog standard 118bhp S1 Elise. It really makes me want to buy one I am getting very close to buying a 111R, as long as I can get the right finance package and then it's off to the track
Old 25 October 2004, 12:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Do you still have your Clio Race car?

I thought you were trying to sell it?
Old 25 October 2004, 12:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

bought another
Old 25 October 2004, 12:31 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The elise is a more focused track car than the Impreza. On the open road with twists or without would leave you with the advantage. Or down the dragstrips.

The elise is really quite weedy *zips up flame suit*

Bob
Old 25 October 2004, 12:46 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Weedy, but at a recent sprint, a weedy 118bhp Elise was faster by 4 or 5 seconds than a classic Impreza. Was 2 or 3 seconds faster than 2 Evos running quite large number BHP(I think). Faster than an M3 CSL, and a TVR by about 5 seconds. All in 2.1kms!

Although it should be said that the Elise drivers knowledge of the lap was better than any of the above. How much that accounts for I dont know.

Last edited by CTR; 25 October 2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 25 October 2004, 12:53 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CTR
Weedy, but at a recent sprint, a weedy 118bhp Elise was faster by 4 or 5 seconds than a classic Impreza. Was 2 or 3 seconds faster than 2 Evos running quite large number BHP(I think). Faster than an M3 CSL, and a TVR by about 5 seconds. All in 2.1kms!
What are sprints? Aren't they all twists and turns?

Bob
Old 25 October 2004, 12:56 PM
ocean
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by CTR
That's right - when will people realise that WEIGHT is the enemy of speed/acceleration/braking and - most importantly on a track or twisty - cornering speed? That is why the "weedy" elise spanks the tanks.

For example - enough bhp and my house could out-accelerate an Elise but would never corner as fast and change direction and brake properley due to the momentum and inertia.

The BHP arms race is just crass: manufacturers would be far better advised to look at ways of cutting car's weights.

Last edited by ocean; 25 October 2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 25 October 2004, 01:02 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
What are sprints? Aren't they all twists and turns?

Bob
Yeah it had twists and turns, although there was quite a long straight with a right left in the middle of it, and you came back half way along that straight too. Im cr@p at judging distances so cant tell you how long it was.
Old 25 October 2004, 01:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The BHP arms race is just crass: manufacturers would be far better advised to look at ways of cutting car's weights.
The majority of people need 5 seats and a boot, so manufacturers would be ill advised at looking at cutting weight....or you end up with a low volume car like like the elise.

Bob
Old 25 October 2004, 01:22 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
bought another
A new one with sequential box?

I REALLY need one of those.
Old 25 October 2004, 01:29 PM
ocean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
The majority of people need 5 seats and a boot, so manufacturers would be ill advised at looking at cutting weight....or you end up with a low volume car like like the elise.

Bob
The original Golf GTI was 850kg: now even a Polo is well over a tonne, with the Golf nealry 1500kg. 5 doors and a boot both. Anyway we are talking performance cars not workaday family cars. if you just want that then weight isn't such a big deal.
Old 25 October 2004, 02:39 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The original Golf GTI was 850kg: now even a Polo is well over a tonne, with the Golf nealry 1500kg. 5 doors and a boot both.
Safety standards have moved on (thankfully) since 1980s.

Anyway we are talking performance cars not workaday family cars. if you just want that then weight isn't such a big deal.
I dont remember anybody specifying non-workday performance cars?

Why not go the whole hog and buy a westfield or 7? Useless to me though.

Bob
Old 25 October 2004, 03:05 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I own an Elise pretty much standard, and you can have massive variances in the drivers ability, an Imprezza/Clio is very easy to drive compared to an Elise. When I first got mine I used to be very slow, now I know the capabilities through training I would say Im one of the quicker drivers on track.

As for who's the quickest it will be the one with more knowledge of the track, and more experience usually.
Old 25 October 2004, 03:17 PM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Definitely depends very much on the track. The impreza will out accelerate the elise, but the elise will carry more speed through the corners. Therefore windy track is prob better for the elise, and lots of slow corners and long straights should help the impreza. Don't know about the clios though
Just ask the elise drivers how many passengers and sets of golf clubs they can carry though
Horses for courses really. I'm seriously thinking about an elise by the way, so am in no way putting them down. Just not as good an 'only car' as the impreza (the elise will be a replacement for the Skyline ! )

All IMHO of course.

Dave
Old 25 October 2004, 03:27 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Racing on a track has alot to do with 1) Driver ability 2)***** 3) Car ability

Personally would never go on a track to 'race' or prove anything as it can be costly.

I would much rather go out on safe open roads and the dragstrip.

Cant understand them taking the **** out of you....at least you have more than one friend (and seats for) in your motor than the go karts

Bob
Old 25 October 2004, 03:31 PM
John STI 8
Scooby Regular

Why not go for a VX Turbo, a little heavier than the elise, but with a more drivable engine and better handling (I'm not comparing to the latest Toyota engined elises as I haven't driven them). I know it's ugly, but it's just as badly screwed together, so from the inside you could be in either. J
Old 25 October 2004, 03:31 PM
mc5
Scooby Regular

Car magazine did a handling test a few years ago and the classic impreza was a couple of seconds quicker than a series 1 elise.
Old 25 October 2004, 04:41 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

I must admit that i am considering changing my scoob for a s1 elise early next year.
My scooby is now a second car, so the elise would be just a weekend play thing.
Are there many scooby owners that have made the swap that would care to give me some advice, ie how much would i miss the relative comfort and practicality of the scoob. How easy is it to fit a small tent etc in an elise for weekend camping/car shows.
The dream of the elise is zipping down a twisty country lane in the sunshine with the roof down. How near is this image to the real truth.
Old 25 October 2004, 04:42 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Talking

Let's change the goal posts slightly,

All three cars go to Tescos, you all come out with the months shopping, who gets home first???
Old 25 October 2004, 04:51 PM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5193
Let's change the goal posts slightly,

All three cars go to Tescos, you all come out with the months shopping, who gets home first???

in "the real world" you'd buy all your shopping online and tesco would deliver it in the most shopping friendly vehicle
Old 25 October 2004, 04:59 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by bobfrog1
in "the real world" you'd buy all your shopping online and tesco would deliver it in the most shopping friendly vehicle
OK let me rephase that, you run over a fellow forum member, who can get the body in the boot and down to the woods before your seen!!

Toshay Monsieur Pussycat!
Old 25 October 2004, 05:17 PM
bobfrog1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5193
OK let me rephase that, you run over a fellow forum member, who can get the body in the boot and down to the woods before your seen!!

Toshay Monsieur Pussycat!
again, that would be the tesco van, in the woods (usually moist and full of leaves) in the desperation to hide the body the scooby would understeer and crash, the elise would over steer and crash, the tesco van is chilled slowing down the body's rigormortice so could leisurely drive to the woods and dump the body

lol, I'm going now
Old 25 October 2004, 09:13 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

LOL @ bobfrog

greg.g test drive one. The biggest thing for me when I first got mine was the noise, but you get used to it. If youve got a passenger, the boot is tiny, so forget getting much in there. In fact with the roof off, I can fit one and a bit bags in the boot. Have to say its nice driving with the roof down in the summer, however, if you get one, take it to the track. Soooooo much better than on the roads! BTW I went from a Scooby to an Elise via a couple of other cars.

Quick Reply: impreza vs elise