Focus TDCI Sport vs. Leon Cupra TDi

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2004, 09:28 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDCI Sport vs. Leon Cupra TDi

Still looking at alternative cheaper cars for when I sell my 03WRX PPP

Am considering the turbo diesel route for obvious financial reasons, but still want something enjoyable to drive. Also low running costs, practicality, reliability, etc will be important.

Anyone driven both these cars?? Is there much to choose between them?
Old 31 October 2004, 09:38 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

What version of the Leon are you looking at 110, 130, 150?

The Focus handles nice, the engine is smooth and refined with a decent amount of torque but the 115bhp Focus is no ball of fire and the TDCI's currently have limited tuning potential.

The Leon doesn't have a good a steering feel and the ride is harsher without any improvement in the handling department. The VAG diesels are not as refined as the TDCi, you will never convince anyone they are petrols.
The VAG diesels do have vast scope for reliable tuning though, the 110 will goto around 150, the 130 to 185+ and the 150 to near 200bhp all for the price of a £400 remap. If you drive normally you won't loose out on fuel consumption either.

Cheers
Lee
Old 31 October 2004, 10:10 PM
ChrisB

Leon Cupra TDI means it's a 150 Lee
Old 01 November 2004, 09:20 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
What version of the Leon are you looking at 110, 130, 150?

Yes the 150 as ChrisB says

I'm thinking that the only way I'll 'cope' with driving something slow again is if it handles really well so I can at least sling it around the twisty lanes and have some fun.

I used to have a 306gti-6 and tbh would go back to one of those if I could find a mint low-miler, but they are like the proverbial! Loved that car and although not as cheap to run as a turbo diesel it had 20k service intervals, mpg in the 30's and the purchase price would obviously be a lot less than either the focus or leon.
Old 01 November 2004, 12:14 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
If you drive normally you won't loose out on fuel consumption either.

Cheers
Lee
And the point of getting the remap is what exactly??????????? If you are going to drive the car normally.
Old 01 November 2004, 01:51 PM
m
Scooby Regular

Default focus

love the 'old' shape focus. drives so well for a front wheeler, used to have a 1.6 zetec after my WRX left me and really enjoyed it, have a TDCI as a hire car today and think the engine feels much more refined the the VW derived diesels in the leons.
Old 01 November 2004, 04:56 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Leon Cupra TDI means it's a 150 Lee
Note to self, "Must read posts properly".

Brain didn't register the Cupra bit.
Old 01 November 2004, 04:58 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
And the point of getting the remap is what exactly??????????? If you are going to drive the car normally.
The point is you have a fast car to have some fun in and for safe overtaking but also a car that will still do 50mpg+ if you do a 100mile a day drive to work.

Cheers
Lee
Old 01 November 2004, 05:12 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

We've just bought a Fabia vRS to go with the WRX... The first day in the Skoda shocked me - I'd forgotten how bad FWD cars handle in the wet...

Luckily in the dry its a different story (well sort of) - if you want something cheaper that handles really well then what about a Clio 182 ? I don't really think that you will get the same handling thrills out of any TDI (as much as I really really love the new generation of diesels...)

The Focus leaves me a bit cold - what about an Ibiza Cupra if it has to be a diesel? That new car mag has a review...
Old 01 November 2004, 05:30 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

FWIW, I have a 03 WRX PPP and the wife has a Cupra TDi (I have not driven the diesel Focus but the petrol versions handle better than the Seat Cupras IMO).

The Cupra handles OK (not its strong point) but is not what you would describe as chuckable (front end feels too heavy). If that is what you are looking for then I would forget it.
It is reasonably quick though, and on a motorway it is plenty fast enough, comfy and quite. It is easy to average 45+ when pushing on at motorway speeds.

Whilst it does not have the speed of the WRX it is a better place to sit with the climate, 6 cd changer (though this may not be available on the FR model) etc.

In all honesty when going out on a weekend I enjoy driving the Cupra and do not miss the WRX (though this may be partly down to the novelty factor as I us the WRX all week). If I were to buy one or the other I would gety the Cupra as a better all round package - just dont tell the wife
Old 01 November 2004, 05:40 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraT
FWIW, I have a 03 WRX PPP and the wife has a Cupra TDi (I have not driven the diesel Focus but the petrol versions handle better than the Seat Cupras IMO).

The Cupra handles OK (not its strong point) but is not what you would describe as chuckable (front end feels too heavy). If that is what you are looking for then I would forget it.
It is reasonably quick though, and on a motorway it is plenty fast enough, comfy and quite. It is easy to average 45+ when pushing on at motorway speeds.

Whilst it does not have the speed of the WRX it is a better place to sit with the climate, 6 cd changer (though this may not be available on the FR model) etc.

In all honesty when going out on a weekend I enjoy driving the Cupra and do not miss the WRX (though this may be partly down to the novelty factor as I us the WRX all week). If I were to buy one or the other I would gety the Cupra as a better all round package - just dont tell the wife
Thanks CupraT - how do you find the build/trim quality on the Leon? I briefly sat in one ages ago and just remember thinking some of the trim was iffy/plasticky, and the seat fabric was naff.

As far as the handling goes I guess I just want something that I can still make fairly rapid cross-country progress in, as opposed to being a hooligan for the sake of it

I do quite like the look of the Leon Cupras too...
Old 01 November 2004, 05:50 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

The trim is pretty good for the price (you can get them for around 14k if you hunt around) and it generally has a much more solid feel to it than the WRX. I actually ran a petrol Cupra for 20k miles before the diesel and had no problems with it.

Whilst it doesn't handle brilliantly you can make pretty rapid progress as the engine has decent low down pull. It you chip it, the mpg does not suffer much (if at all) and it turns it into a decent performer.

Well worth a look at.

Good luck with the sale of your car.

Originally Posted by blip
Thanks CupraT - how do you find the build/trim quality on the Leon? I briefly sat in one ages ago and just remember thinking some of the trim was iffy/plasticky, and the seat fabric was naff.

As far as the handling goes I guess I just want something that I can still make fairly rapid cross-country progress in, as opposed to being a hooligan for the sake of it

I do quite like the look of the Leon Cupras too...