Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

tuning a turbo diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2004, 10:46 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning a turbo diesel?

Has anyone stuck a dawes device on a turbo diesel? If so what gain did you get?

What about the electronic tuning devices seen on ebay? Anyone had any success.

I'm changing from Scoob to 307 D turbo and obviously want a bit more ooomph under my right foot !
Old 02 November 2004, 12:04 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

The best mod i made to my TDI was to fit a petrol engine ! :P
Old 02 November 2004, 12:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Weird that...the best thing my cousin did to his Astra merit was fit a diesel engine

Though, it was a 1.3 swapped for a 1.7tdi

He did a stupid thing and put some Gsi bits on, so joyriders nicked it....I'd love to have seen their faces when they started it up and realised it was a diesel and not a Gsi
Old 02 November 2004, 12:42 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Buy one of those black boxes to Add more fueling
Induction kit helps breathing.
Hybrid Turbo helps with spool up.

My TDI 1.9 hits 220 LBS torque at 2000 RPM. VWs are great for modding.

Just a shame the WR1 didnt pull the same from 2000 RPM
Old 02 November 2004, 12:48 PM
ChrisB

Tuning boxes usually deliver a bit more umph and have the advantage of being removable prior to dealer service.

The VAG diesel tunning scene has a lot of options for boxes, re-maps and the like, but I don't know if PSA engines have as many choices.

Jonto, you could have waved back on Monday morning you miserable git
Old 02 November 2004, 12:48 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony_W
Has anyone stuck a dawes device on a turbo diesel? If so what gain did you get?

What about the electronic tuning devices seen on ebay? Anyone had any success.

I'm changing from Scoob to 307 D turbo and obviously want a bit more ooomph under my right foot !
Forget all these so called mods. Either get he tuning box or better still a proper remap. The box is a primative way of extracting more power from a turbo diesel engine. My previous car was an Mk4 Ibiza tdi, the remap took it to 193bhp and 332lbft..... Yes 332.. It was a pocket rocket, in gear times would smoke many a scooby

Dont know what maps are about for he pup but there are bound to be some.

cheers
Old 02 November 2004, 01:48 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Errr I think its a bit different with yours being a Pug 306 - aren't they mechanical fuel injection or something?? I confess to knowing nothing about this stuff!!

Would definately get a remap as its customised to your car - I had a tuning box on my 130 PD Golf and to be honest I lost some of the low down torque (no bad thing in the wet...)

I seem to remember Van Aaken tuning 306 DTurbos
Old 02 November 2004, 03:58 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Yeah, they can both be tuned, either the 2.0HDI or the 1.9TD. The HDI will take either a remap (from 90BHP to around 120BHP) not sure on torque increases, but I know you gain quite a bit, or you can fit a "black box" which sits 'in-series' with the injector wiring loom and holds the injector open that bit longer for extra fueling. The old 1.9TD with the mechanical injector pump can be tuned quite easily yourself. (there are two different types of injector pump though I belive) the fueling can be upped by adjusting fuel pressure, and the boost can be wound up (carefully) by winding out the wastegate actuator. This must be done with caution though, as you could seriously damage the engine if you wind it up too much. (the use of a gauge is recommended). Various websites can be found explaining the method for mechanical injection turbo diesels.
Old 02 November 2004, 06:13 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

AFAIK all 307's were HDi.

Diesel tuning is a little different than petrol as the air fuel ratio does not have to be exact for combustion. Diesel engine manufactures on newer ECU controlled TDi's run with lots more air than is required for total combustion as this lowers the ppm for particulates and the lower fuel rate also allows for poor grade diesel to be used (Non UK).

A tuning box allows you to increase the fueling upto the level that can be burn't without smoke on standard boost. This can be upto 30% increase on some engines. On the 307 the 90bhp goes to 115bhp, the 110 upto around 140bhp and the 130 to 160bhp.
Make sure the model you get is a fully adjustable digital device and not just a cheap resistor in a box.

Have a look at www.mrhoot.com , www.tunit.co.uk or www.dieselcar.com for more info.

Above that your looking at a re-map exactly the same as a Turbo Petrol where Boost will be increased as well as fueling.
Not sure what is available for Peugeot, 1.9 VAG engines seem to be the best choice for tuning.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 02 November 2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03 November 2004, 12:23 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Tuning boxes usually deliver a bit more umph and have the advantage of being removable prior to dealer service.

The VAG diesel tunning scene has a lot of options for boxes, re-maps and the like, but I don't know if PSA engines have as many choices.

Jonto, you could have waved back on Monday morning you miserable git
Where were you ? More to the point, where was i ?

Land of nod i suspect !
Old 03 November 2004, 01:14 PM
ChrisB

In The Brampton - you were queueing for the crossroads near the New Vic. I was cutting through to avoid the A34 given how messed up it (and the A500) was.
Old 04 November 2004, 08:20 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info everyone.
Have bought one off eBay from tandemtuning, which looks like a decent piece of kit, along the same lines as the ones mentioned above.

It might just give it a bit of urge, to comfort me in my old man status without my Scoob (part-exed after 2.5 yrs from new).

I shall miss the Scoob and the ooommph, but not the mpg, insurance and service costs/intervals.

Maybe one day in the future when they stretch beyond 10k+ servicing I shall treat myself to another, but for now it's cruise controls, trip computers and a pair of slippers in a Pug 307 D Turbo.