Octavia 4X4 Handling??

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2004, 08:19 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octavia 4X4 Handling??

I currently have a new shape Impreza Turbo but the fuel bills are crippling me. As my wife has a Fabia vRS, I was thinking of swapping the Scoob for an Octavia 4X4 as I want something that is comparable in the wet...

Has anyone else done this? Is there much difference in the handling?

I would like a TDI engine - what options do I have? I seem to remember seeing someones profile on Briskoda with their 4X4 revoed to 230bhp - is that petrol or diesel? I'm presuming that's petrol. If I can get close to Scoob power in a 4WD TDI Octavia I think I'd be very happy...
Old 02 November 2004, 08:54 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Go on BRISKODA website. They know loads about Skodas and are really helpful as well.
Old 04 November 2004, 08:02 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

James

Been there and done that. Company car arrived so the Octavia had to go.
I averaged 24mpg in my Impreza and 29.5mpg in my 220bhp Octavia, both over 20,000m. The Octavia does not handle like an Impreza because its got a raised ride height. However, one of 'us Briskodians' took part in the Cannonball run with a modestly revised one and did brilliantly well if you get my drift.

The 1.8T engine is superb IMHO - (some) Scooby owners tend to look down their noses but when you've owned both, you appreciate the torque delivery from low revs and the sheer easy going natire. Its very deceptive and a very robust (ie tuneable) engine.

Can I ask why you don't just have the Fabia remapped to 180bhp by Jabbasport and have the brakes/suspension tweaked. The results are really exceptional. I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind ?
Old 04 November 2004, 08:19 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Yeah I'm eventually planning on a remap for the Furby, but I don't think it could ever handle 'well'... it's absolutely amazing for what it is - a budget warm hatch that can surprise a few people and is genuinely fun to drive at really low speeds - the Scoob seems to need three figures to be fun...
Old 05 November 2004, 04:25 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

I think I might buy a Fabia vRS - what are they like ? I want a station car that is a bit more fun than the average small car and it seems like a perfect match - how have u found it ?
Old 05 November 2004, 05:27 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough I'm in a similar position ( I need a diesel estate for work) and had narrowed my choices down to either the Tav, an MG ZT-T or a secondhand E class. I have test driven a 110bhp diesel Elegance estate this very day, and I think the merc is possibly still on the cards, but the rover isn't even on the scope anymore.

I have to say I was mightily impressed with the general quality of the Tav, the amount of grunt available was surprising, as was the lack of turbo-lag, also neither the ride or the handling of the beast was to shabby, not an understeery barge like the equivalent Audi

To be honest I would say that the 4x4 version probably isn't worth the extra outlay, as it's only the part-time set up as found in a TT, which IMO isn't that impressive. Give me a well set up FWD chassis any day (which this appears to be), over something that has 4WD just for the sake of the badge.
Old 05 November 2004, 05:36 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Funnily enough I'm in a similar position ( I need a diesel estate for work) and had narrowed my choices down to either the Tav, an MG ZT-T or a secondhand E class. I have test driven a 110bhp diesel Elegance estate this very day, and I think the merc is possibly still on the cards, but the rover isn't even on the scope anymore.
Just done something similar and bought an Octavia 110 Elegance TDi. VEry impressed with the handling and quality although it is a little noisier than more modern diesels including my wifes Fabia TDi.
I've fitted a tuning box and currently running around 140bhp and 200lbft. It takes around £38 to fill up when the fuel light comes on and I'm averageing 550miles between fill ups doing mixed driving.

It will also go two years and upto 30000 miles between services and my local Skoda dealer has quoted £140 for the two year inspection service.

Cheers
Lee
Old 05 November 2004, 05:36 PM
willipdarling
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
I currently have a new shape Impreza Turbo but the fuel bills are crippling me. As my wife has a Fabia vRS, I was thinking of swapping the Scoob for an Octavia 4X4 as I want something that is comparable in the wet...

Has anyone else done this? Is there much difference in the handling?

I would like a TDI engine - what options do I have? I seem to remember seeing someones profile on Briskoda with their 4X4 revoed to 230bhp - is that petrol or diesel? I'm presuming that's petrol. If I can get close to Scoob power in a 4WD TDI Octavia I think I'd be very happy...
MY friend who is on briskoda has a 4x4 1.8 turbo petrol estate, and i think that the cars are cool. Handle ok for an estate, and go pretty well too. they aint full time 4x4's tho, they are predominantly front wheel drives with a heldex that splits power to the rear (max of 50%)when you get into a bit of trouble. Go drive one, but turn the traction control off because it prevents the 4wheel drive bit from working properly as it cuts out power!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05 November 2004, 06:17 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

... its the standard ESP that you need to turn off - the 4x4 is the only Octavia that comes with it as standard, the vRS has the traction control.