Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New shape vectra V6 cool or not cool

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 08:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shape vectra V6 cool or not cool

Settle an arguement for me please ......

new shape V6 vectra .......... £11K ....... something you would have on your drive or not???

my opinion is when i become a double glazing salesman yes, but for £11K god no.....Couldnt show my face in public. Golf / audi yes but vectra NOOOOO

would you yes / no

1. God No
Old 06 January 2005, 09:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Er, no, not cool at all, prob quite a nice car though, The Mondeo ST220 manages a bit of cred though.
Old 06 January 2005, 09:07 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Er, no, not cool at all, prob quite a nice car though, The Mondeo ST220 manages a bit of cred though.
1. god no
2. no

i said the ST220 too by the way ...oh and he is 24 years old too, great bird puller a vectra ........
Old 06 January 2005, 09:13 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ST220 for me too
Old 06 January 2005, 09:17 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's a vauxhall - case closed - maximus pantos
Old 06 January 2005, 09:28 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
1. god no
2. no

i said the ST220 too by the way ...oh and he is 24 years old too, great bird puller a vectra ........
1. god no
2. no
3. no
4. no
Old 06 January 2005, 09:32 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

I drove a vectra for 3 years. It was the car I had before the Impreza. I got it from new with a massive saving on it + £2,500K of GM credit card points, so it cost about £8K new. It was a club SE and I had the Imscher styling pack fitted to it (included in that 8K). It didn't make it very stylish, but it did have a nice exhaust on it that gave it a decent engine note when you were driving it hard.

It was only a 1.8, but it really wasn't that bad. The engine loosened up well and was pretty free reving. I had no reliability or build quality problems with it either.

Would I buy another one though?

HELL NO. It was utterly dull to drive, devoid of any sort of character and was not special in any way shape or form.
Old 06 January 2005, 09:42 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

no-unless it was purely a runaround/work horse
Old 06 January 2005, 10:52 PM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

3.2 V6 is pretty fast...'specially with blue strobes on top ...but once managed 10mpg from a tankful during a somewhat 'frantic' nightshift!! (free juice though, lol)

Good build, bit dull I 'spose.
Old 06 January 2005, 11:13 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

For the money, its not a bad deal to be honest.... but its in NO way cool!!!

Given the choice of the two mentioned, I would take the ST220 in a heartbeat.

1. God No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. HELL No
6. No
7. No
8. No

Cheers,
Grant
Old 07 January 2005, 08:08 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

THIS IS AIMED AT ME FOLKS.

It's very simple. I requite the following from a car:

1. Low miles as I do 20k miles a year.
2. Comfort/4 seats - this is a must.
3. Quiet, smooth and refined.
4. I want a warranty and piece of mind.
5. I do NOT want a diesel or a ***** 4 cylinder car with a tappety sounding engine.
6. I like the torquey, low end grunt of a V6.

I had the earlier shape GSI, the 2.5. Was a 2000 'W' reg. Though it was not a 911 to drive one thing that I liked about it was that NOTHING about the car p!ssed me off. It was reliable, comfortable, refined and casued me no grief whatsoever. Unlike the lesser models it didn't squeek one little bit and felt every bit as solid as my previous 2 BMW's.

So, if anybody can recommend a different car that fits the above criteria, for 11k, with all the toys and a warranty from the manufacturer - please tell me!!!

P.S. Gutmann - cars don't pull birds I thought you'd have worked that out by now. It's a myth. Buy a Ferrari, pull Caprice?? Err, no.

P.P.S. To all reading this. This car is a day-to-day car. I will be going thirds on a track car with my brother and a mate. Car will be left at the 'Ring over apring/summer.
Old 07 January 2005, 08:12 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just remember one thing Steve.........

Your 24 years old not 70.........

nuff said
Old 07 January 2005, 08:23 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Question

Just remember one thing Steve.........

Your 24 years old not 70.........

nuff said

......right.....?

So a GSI for day to day use and a track car is old man??

A Golf TDi and no track car could be considered old man perhaps....

Oh, anyone that said ST220 I agree, nice car but I don't like Fords and they are also 15k.
Old 07 January 2005, 08:33 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Yes mate paying 11K on a new shape vectra would make you an old man in my eyes.

Name one other person who owns one who isnt a salesman??? i sure as hell cant. You may say that makes you Elite? You would also be elite if you bought a Fiat Multipla then i guess.
Old 07 January 2005, 08:45 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes mate paying 11K on a new shape vectra would make you an old man in my eyes.

Name one other person who owns one who isnt a salesman??? i sure as hell cant. You may say that makes you Elite? You would also be elite if you bought a Fiat Multipla then i guess.

I don't know anyone who has one, yes. I also don't know anyone that owns a 911, I don't know anyone that owns an M3, I don't know anyone that owns a Civic Type-R, I don't know anyone that owns a Mondeo ST220.......

Alternatives then ya ****!!!

You know my situation and what is required.
Old 07 January 2005, 08:50 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I see you in a type R, civic or accord mate if i was being honest. Good reliability, fast, holds its value, good MPG,...etc etc ......or skoda VRs?
If not buy an old hack to do the 20K per year, like the vectra you had before and get yourself a weekend car.

Plus of course the vectra will be worth about 47p in a couple of years time ....... (much the same as scooby's)
Old 07 January 2005, 08:54 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

I see you in a type R mate if i was being honest. Good reliability, fast, holds its value, good MPG,...etc etc ......or skoda VRs?
If not buy an old hack to do the 20K per year, like the vectra you had before and get yourself a weekend car.

Plus of course the vectra will be worth about 47p in a couple of years time ....... (much the same as scooby's)

Civic Type-R is a buzzbox. Loud inside, rattley and squeeky. No torque at all and only worth it on track - as a track car I'll get a Mk2 Golf GTI or a Pug 306 GTI-6.

I still want a nice daily drive though - my Vectra LS is "ok" but it's a bit of a wankbox.

I don't wanna spend big money on a trrack car that I'll end up f$cking up. On a track, imo, its about fun and I think I'll have a lot of fun in a stripped out bomber.

So, that leaves me a daily drive - that needs to fit my criteria. I don't want an old shed like my Vectra LS,it's embarrassing.

Need practical alternatives to the GSI cos so far I've seen nothing as good for the money.

Even a Vectra hater surely has to asmit a GSI is a hell of a lot of car for the money?

Last edited by Senior_AP; 07 January 2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:01 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Urm...Skoda Superb 2.8V6?
Old 07 January 2005, 09:02 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
Urm...Skoda Superb 2.8V6?

No ta.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:03 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with this....

Engine Data
Engine Capacity 3175 cc
Cylinders V6
Power 211@6200 ( bhp / rpm )
Torque 221@4000 ( lb / ft )
CO2 Emissions 235 ( g /km )

Performance
0 > 60 mph Acceleration7.2 seconds
Maximum Speed 154 mph
Old 07 January 2005, 09:04 AM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I was in a similar position a few months ago.. wanted a newish big car.. looked at the vectra gsi too but couldn't get excited about it. Considered an Octavia Vrs but I thought the seating position was crap, kept banging my knees off the steering column. Also didn't like the big bars behind the seats that made the boot useless for big long objects.. Also the white seats wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes with 3 kids.
Bought an ST220 and i'm pretty happy with it.. I think it looks really nice.. plenty of toys.. lovely drive... just have that nagging feeling in my head that I should have bought an impreza.. lol if I wasn't on the doorstep of manchester I would have.. oh well.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:15 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Walker
I was in a similar position a few months ago.. wanted a newish big car.. looked at the vectra gsi too but couldn't get excited about it. Considered an Octavia Vrs but I thought the seating position was crap, kept banging my knees off the steering column. Also didn't like the big bars behind the seats that made the boot useless for big long objects.. Also the white seats wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes with 3 kids.
Bought an ST220 and i'm pretty happy with it.. I think it looks really nice.. plenty of toys.. lovely drive... just have that nagging feeling in my head that I should have bought an impreza.. lol if I wasn't on the doorstep of manchester I would have.. oh well.

We are on a similar wavelength pretty much.

I'm with you on the ST220, nice motor. Vectra is basically identical though (not looks) and is 4k cheaper for a like model/year.

I'm not looking to be excited by the Vectra - I'm looking for comfort, practicality, power, modern, warranty. My previous GSI 2.5 was a very good all round car, and the new one is considerably better.

When it comes to fun and excitement, my track car will be for that.

I prefer look of ST220 but it's cost.

11k is maximum really.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:23 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Vectra sounds like a good choice to me, capitalise on their unpopularity and get what is IMHO quite a nice car.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:27 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Vectra sounds like a good choice to me, capitalise on their unpopularity and get what is IMHO quite a nice car.
I think the devaluation is due to their popularity as apposed to unpopularity.

The name "Vectra" is stigmatized cos the old models were ****e, the 1.6, 1.8 and diesel efforts anyway.

11k for a 2 yr old 22k car with all the toys and fast to boot. The Police use them as well so they must be a good motor cos you never see a cop car break down.

John, a "nice" car is exactly right. That is what I want. Not someting I **** and jizz all over on a sunday afternoon.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:32 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...chassis Vauxhaul.

Could always put Koni shocks on it though (before your time, I fear...)
Old 07 January 2005, 09:32 AM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about the cost of the vectra but hopefully my st will be worth more than the equivilent vectra in a few years time when I come to sell it.

I paid just over 12k for my st. plus I got £800 more for my old car than other places were offering me. 18months old with 18 months warranty remaining. 23k on the clock. Not had any problems with it so far.

Saying that I sort of wish i'd saved a bit more money and got one of the newer ones with a 6 speed box. 5th on mine is a bit high geared for the motorway and the fuel consumption suffers a bit.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:33 AM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

How about a late model Omega or a Signum? I know Mr Clarkson took the pi$$ out of the Signum but Autocar have one on long term testing and they're pretty happy with it. The only problem was a rattling cool box between the rear seats.

I'm not sure if this is in your budget but I think these cars depreciate pretty quickly so they are second hand bargins.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:34 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Most neighbours would think an Impreza owner was going up in the world if it was exchanged for a Vectra. Would look like those "ideal" Harry Potter or Kevin/Perry streets

Senior AP, your Chav detection powers are unparalleled, I'm sure you'll make the correct choice
Old 07 January 2005, 09:39 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Walker
I know what you mean about the cost of the vectra but hopefully my st will be worth more than the equivilent vectra in a few years time when I come to sell it.

I paid just over 12k for my st. plus I got £800 more for my old car than other places were offering me. 18months old with 18 months warranty remaining. 23k on the clock. Not had any problems with it so far.

Saying that I sort of wish i'd saved a bit more money and got one of the newer ones with a 6 speed box. 5th on mine is a bit high geared for the motorway and the fuel consumption suffers a bit.
Mondeo will hold it's value a bit better yes.

Vectra costs less and sells for less.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:42 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Most neighbours would think an Impreza owner was going up in the world if it was exchanged for a Vectra. Would look like those "ideal" Harry Potter or Kevin/Perry streets

Senior AP, your Chav detection powers are unparalleled, I'm sure you'll make the correct choice
That's it. If I was buying a Vectra cos "I want a cool car" i'd understand some banter - but I'm not buying it to show off.

Quick Reply: New shape vectra V6 cool or not cool