Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Which is faster R32 or Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2005, 12:26 PM
VWV6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which is faster R32 or Impreza?

As the title which is quicker in these scenarios all up to say 120-130mph

UK Impreza old UK model V R32

Bugeye V R32

Blobeye V R32

All standard- I haven't bothered including any STI or Prodrive or modded cars because I know they are faster than an R32 except maybe top end.
Old 11 January 2005, 12:39 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my personal opinion they are totally different cars. The golf is much better built (read solid ) and more refined where the scoob is a little more raw and tuneable. Performance is pretty close and doesn't actually mean anything in everyday driving. The scoob does have 1 advantage though because it's a turbo car it's easier to tune.

Paul
Old 11 January 2005, 12:41 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

R32 would beat bugeye/blobeye WRX but not a classic.

.....in a straight line race.
Old 11 January 2005, 12:41 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

There are so many different permutations of Impreza/conditions/drivers etc it's hard to tell.

I suspect an R32 would have the legs on any standard car(esp 02 onwards), exlcluding STi's and probably prodrived ones.
Old 11 January 2005, 12:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask Chins. He's owned both.
Old 11 January 2005, 12:44 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Skyline R32 or Golf?
Old 11 January 2005, 12:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pedant
Old 11 January 2005, 01:06 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Pedant
I deny that I honestly wondered
Old 11 January 2005, 01:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Try here...

http://www.jsread.com/tvr/quartermile.htm

P1 beats an R32 easily
Old 11 January 2005, 01:24 PM
VWV6
Scooby Regular

My user name should have been a hint as to which R32 I was referring to.

I'm not interested in the P1, Type R, STi, Prodrive or other fast variants of Impreza.

I wanted to know people's opinions on which would be faster an R32 Volkwagen MKIV Golf or the Imprezas I mentioned.

It's obvious they are different cars, as I'm sure you know the R32 features a really quite excellent interior as well as a great feeling of solidity.
However all this costs in weight it is a lard *** SOB but I love it..............

I already know the answer to one of my VW R32 MKIV Golf V Impreza questions. It's the ugly looking Impreza the bugeye- it's quite a bit slower even upto 100 which is weird as the figures seem to indicate it should be faster. I guess that's why they binned them, because they are so slow?
Anyway back to the question do any of you have an opinion on whether an R32 would be faster in a straight line than either an older original Impreza or the latest car- all standard.

If not I'll understand
Old 11 January 2005, 01:39 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

You could try looking in the back of EVO magazine. I think they quote 0-60 and 0-100 times, possibly quarter mile too.

Personally I have no idea
Old 11 January 2005, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

R32 would be faster in a straight line than either an older original Impreza or the latest car- all standard.
You see...it's not as easy as that for the classics.

The older ones had the bigger turbo, the later ones had the smaller turbo, different engine design and bigger intercooler. Only 7bhp difference on official stats (although rolling road figures for bog standard cars suggest anything upto 230bhp and more is possible). But there is a difference in the way a MY94 accelarates to a MY98, bear in mind that 0-60 times have been clocked as low as 5 seconds for the latter which is a standard car.

As for the latest car - a standard UK version WRX. I'd guess it's about the same, maybe slightly slower than a R32
Old 11 January 2005, 01:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Oh great, another speculative "this v that" thread.

You obviously own one - so go find an impreza owner to play with or this will degenerate into the usual quoting of every timed figure from every motoring journal ever printed

MB
Old 11 January 2005, 01:58 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
You could try looking in the back of EVO magazine. I think they quote 0-60 and 0-100 times, possibly quarter mile too.

Personally I have no idea
MB, done it for him to keep him happy

evo quote

R32 - 0-60 @ 6.6, 0-100 @ 16.3. 1477kg, 154 max mph
WRX - 0-60 @5.5, 0-100 @ 15.7. 1395kg, 143 max mph
STI - 0-60 @ 5.2, 0-100 n/a. 1470kg, 152 max mph
WRX PPP - 0-60 @ 4.8, 0-100 n/a. 150 max mph
STI PPP - 0-60 @ 5.2, 0-100 @ 12.9, 148 max mph?
WR1 - 0-60 @5.3, 0-100 @ 13.1. 155 max mph

Handy when u have latest issue on yr desk

to me 0-60, 0-100 waste of time except 4 pub talk. Mid range in gear on the road is where the fun begins
Old 11 January 2005, 01:59 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Noooooooooooo - the figure quoting has started

The next phase of these threads is that someone will start abusing the golf, and saying how they punished one so it must be slower....

MB

Last edited by Dark Blue Mark; 11 January 2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Spooling
Old 11 January 2005, 02:04 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
MB, done it for him to keep him happy
ps I think the R32 looks V nice, saw a met blue @ the w/end and looked good. Mind u it was clean & mine is minging at the moment but I would consider one.
Old 11 January 2005, 02:11 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Noooooooooooo - the figure quoting has started

The next phase of these threads is that someone will start abusing the golf, and saying how they punished one so it must be slower....

MB
Well they did ask

I don't really care which is faster, all I know is that I like my car
Old 11 January 2005, 02:14 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Plus everyone knows the electric windows would fall out the golf in a race, or a coil pack would give up

MB
Old 11 January 2005, 02:17 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
ps I think the R32 looks V nice, saw a met blue @ the w/end and looked good. Mind u it was clean & mine is minging at the moment but I would consider one.
Hope you've cleaned it since I last saw it?! If not it must be virtually all black now! Love the R32's looks and build quality. Not been in one though, I assume they feel nice and torquey from low down in the revs unlike my 'bog it' machine. I've heard the gearbox is bit ****e though.....

Last edited by Silvafox; 11 January 2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11 January 2005, 02:24 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Got rid of my R32 at the end of August.

In my experience - figures quoted - as implied - don't tell the whole story.

The standard WRX (any) would struggle. The classic Turbo would be around the same. The R32 suffers from the same problem as the Sti - it won't hit 60 in second gear - and third is only good for just over 80!
Old 11 January 2005, 02:26 PM
VWV6
Scooby Regular

I know what the figures are, I just wanted some opinions from people that might know. I'm obviously not in the right place for that.

While I'm here though I have found an Impreza that wants to 'race'. Last week in Sussex I don't know if the guy comes on here but if he does then- you are a bad loser.

My findings were this the ugly Impreza bugeye is a fair bit slower than an R32, I just wondered if any of you had run against them on the strip or on a "private racetrack" and what the results were so I know how cocky to be when I come up against one.

Must be a lot of numpties out there with rally/Sti stickers on their boggo WRX as well judging by the runs I've had with some of these people.

The only Imprezas I need to respect then are modded cars, TYPE R's, STi's, 22B's and other tasty editions- thought so.
Old 11 January 2005, 02:31 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VWV6
I know what the figures are, I just wanted some opinions from people that might know. I'm obviously not in the right place for that.

While I'm here though I have found an Impreza that wants to 'race'. Last week in Sussex I don't know if the guy comes on here but if he does then- you are a bad loser.

My findings were this the ugly Impreza bugeye is a fair bit slower than an R32, I just wondered if any of you had run against them on the strip or on a "private racetrack" and what the results were so I know how cocky to be when I come up against one.

Must be a lot of numpties out there with rally/Sti stickers on their boggo WRX as well judging by the runs I've had with some of these people.

The only Imprezas I need to respect then are modded cars, TYPE R's, STi's, 22B's and other tasty editions- thought so.
Take your golf, your 4 posts, your trolling and f*ck off back to the VW site you came from.
Old 11 January 2005, 02:34 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Man, are you in for a shock!!

The words 'standard' and 'scooby' don't appear too often in the same sentence!!

Some apparantly standard looking ones are running big bhp and you'll need to ask for directions as to which way they went!!

Alternatively you could get the HPA Twin Turbo conversion stage 4, then you'd only need to watch out for an Enzo.........

NOTE: I put watch out for not respect - all cars such as Scoobs, R32's etc - cars which raised the bar - should be respected.
Old 11 January 2005, 02:37 PM
Mosquito
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silvafox
Take your golf, your 4 posts, your trolling and f*ck off back to the VW site you came from.
And there was me trying to be nice!!!
Old 11 January 2005, 02:53 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Hi there everyone just want to say ive got a my02 wrx totally standard and have had a little race with a r32

there where 4 in the R32 and 4 in my scoob
I look in my rear view mirror and seen it so i though mmm i will see what these R32 are like i could see him wanting me to go for it so it was into third and away i must have dropped a gear earlier than him as i seemed to pull away i was doing about 120-130 mph and then all i could see was him coming up behind me fairly quick but there was a car in front of me so we had to slow right down and my turn off was just ahead
Apart from that i don't think they are anything that special as perforance goes as it is a 3.2 litre im mean top end it would have got me no problem
Old 11 January 2005, 03:21 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Don't discount the driver, can account for a lot in a race, which you shouldn't be doing on a public road. Can't see why you expected a fountain of R32 (Skyline - always has been in my eyes ) knowledge on a Subaru board? Have you tried getting to a track event and seeing how it fares on track against other marques (and I'm not just talking Subarus here)?

If you had a more open approach to your questions without the instant put-down, then you might have had some more serious replies. I thought the thread started off OK (maybe with some undertones of trolling) but has gone the usual way due the vs debate

Oh well
Old 11 January 2005, 03:31 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Troll looking at this post and the last one he posted:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...63#post4172563
Old 11 January 2005, 03:46 PM
VWV6
Scooby Regular

Troll schmoll, silva just shut your hole, I haven't come from any VW site being new to the whole R32 thing. I'm here to ask a question if you don't like it then stick it in your under orifice.

As I said I've had a go at a bugeye and beat it, I was surprised at this, especially having seen the figures I would have thought it would have whupped me. The driver with the stickers all over his blue WRX ugly car will confirm that he lost. His was obviously standard. Why the bad atittude when you lost fair and square mate? Why keep trying it on? To perfect your launch- well that's OK I guess you obviously need the practice judging by the way you kept bogging down.

I reckon one of the older lighter cars would give me a run for my money and a modifed Impreza should easily win due to being lighter and having more powered. I'm not dissing all Impreza or their owners, some of them are pretty quick and will actually beat a fat old MKIV.

I can see I'm probably wasting my time looking for an unbiased answer as certain members are 'cheesy members' judging by the replies.
Old 11 January 2005, 03:51 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

.....i thought kids were back at school today?
Old 11 January 2005, 03:55 PM
VWV6
Scooby Regular

Dude if you don't like it then you can always try ignoring it your pathetic comments about 'kids being back at school' is the usual crap some lightweight moron comes out with when he doesn't like what's being said.

Back on to the topic........which standard Impreza models are faster than an R32 and what info does anyone have to back it up other than figures.

If you don't want to reply I'll understand why, just ignore silva he's obviously got some 'issues'

Quick Reply: Which is faster R32 or Impreza?