Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Campers: good uns, modified uns forums?

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2005, 08:46 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Campers: good uns, modified uns forums?

Just stumbled across http://www.powervehicles.com/cars/in...6_94_hiace.htm & it is clearly bonkers recall a similarly mad one at one of the shows last year.
Anyway dunno as i'd fancy sumin quite so fruity but just started me thinking about the subject are there any good actual campers or anything else which can & is a bit bizarre or slightly intregeing (no not a transit with a matress in the back pmsl)
Got no money so not after sum F1 home on wheels but just wondered if there were any good sources of info?
Ta
Si
Old 13 January 2005, 11:17 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

mate there is so much too this i didnt realise.

there are diy converted vans, which are normally badlty done.
proper conversions by holdsworth arto ect.
coachwork conversions.
custom built A class ect.

they range from a few hundered quid upto 100's of thousands of pounds.

getting something chic like a 60's vw is fun but i wouldnt want to have to push it everywhere.

cheap old coachwork conversions still go for lots in comaprisions to their underlying vehicle. for example a 88 talbot coachbuilt would still go for 3 or 4k yet the same as a van would be 3 or 4 squid. if you are looking at this end of the market you need to look at the auctions and not dealers or home sellers.

my parents invested in one ready for their retirment, lcd tv, surround sound, automated dish, microwave, freezer air con, the works but they could of bought a nice villa in spain for the same amount.

there are some good mags about but havent seen any good forums.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:41 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

We sell motorhomes at work, and they can be fooking dear. We havent had many of the cheaper 2nd-hand stuff in lately, and those that we have had have been ****ters that we took as trade-ins and sold on as trade sales. Last cheapy was a an old Sherpa van conversion, with brush-painted beige bodywork. lmao
The new stuff we sell ranges up to about 50k, and you can easilly spend 3 or 4 times that much on the really posh ones.

As for something cool, It definately go for an old VW camper, they have a huge following in the dub clubs so there are bound to be forums.
There are some very nice ones going about too. That **** chef Jamie Oliver has a very nice split-screen one with a white leather interior iirc. It also has a porsche engine and running gear fited, so doesnt hang about. I believe The Stig has taken it round the Top Gear track before.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:56 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

As Pbee said there are all sorts available. I bought this new last August for shall we say, 'financial reasons'
I've only been away in it a couple of times (Assen WSB and Oktoberfest) but it is pretty luxurious. Nothing like watching people scratching about trying to put a tent up while you have a shower, drink cold beer from the fridge and try to decide whether or not to put on the TV

I'll be getting rid in August but they hold their value far better than cars do.
Old 14 January 2005, 12:10 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

LMAO at the spoiler on the Hi-Ace camper in the link

Plenty of stuff in the MMM (Motorhome & Motorcaravan Monthly ).

Our last family camper was an Elddis Autostratus 6birth based on a Fiat Ducato with an AL-Ko chassis....first vehicle I got my mucky hands on to tweek (a few choice odds and sods on the engine, and she would do 3 figure speeds - back in the day when gatsos didn't exist and plod would collapse in shock at seeing a camper travel so fast ) - engine sounded the dogs too

Good investment...bought it for £12500...sold it 4years later for £12500...try doing that with a scooby

If you go for a medium/largish coachbuilt or an A-class, try to get one with the Alko chassis conversion...as they handle miles better than the standard van chassis

Avoid the home DIY built vans....I have yet to see a decent one

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 January 2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 14 January 2005, 12:24 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

[max and paddy]and the best bit is we don't pay council tax[paddy and max]
Old 14 January 2005, 12:39 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Taff107
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...ymer/hymer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...07/Hymer/2.jpg

As Pbee said there are all sorts available. I bought this new last August for shall we say, 'financial reasons'
I've only been away in it a couple of times (Assen WSB and Oktoberfest) but it is pretty luxurious. Nothing like watching people scratching about trying to put a tent up while you have a shower, drink cold beer from the fridge and try to decide whether or not to put on the TV

I'll be getting rid in August but they hold their value far better than cars do.
thats bloody lovely that what mpg do you get out of that thing!

Lucky swine
Old 14 January 2005, 12:50 AM
pmacFTO
Scooby Regular

That Hi-Ace has actually been sold!! Was up the other day and Andy said some guy begged to buy it...so he now has another Vengabus coming and it is bright yellow!!

There was a meet of these in Japan recently and the pics looked like a collection of Transformers (Hi-Ace's in Disguise!) lol
Old 14 January 2005, 12:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I should add that we sold the thing beacuse you couldn't take it anywhere in the UK

Refer to height restrictions everywhere (supermarkets, shopping centres, towns) and limited town/city parking where you there was no restrictions

Except campsites, where you get stuck...as most don't offer hard standing parking plus most are miles away from any decent pubs...and you pay for the privilige

Never had a problem overseas.....which is where we ended up going most of the time (English tourist board at it best in promoting UK citizens to go on Holiday within the UK )
Old 14 January 2005, 01:26 AM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Talking

As well as our scoob we have a 1987 vw camper, they are great fun and plenty of following in forms of stuff on the net and meets. A now defunct outfit in Birmingham droped a golf VR6 engine into a Type 25 camper and i am sure that was quite well appreciated, you dont rush anywhere in these things. We have a friend who fitted a 2litre (ish) porsche engine in his old swiss import split screen and whilst it will **** over many boy racers from the lights you need to have ear plugs in to get any where near enjoying the experience.
Old 14 January 2005, 12:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

lmao quality yeah remember the monkey man Oliver getting thraped round the track i was sitting in front of TV hoping for it to roll lol.
Just got my mind working seeing that Hiace (lshins at the transformers comparison i did a search on autotrader when i first saw model to see how common such things were & was like that's not the same car/van:confucsed: pmsl) you got any of the jap meet pix?
Not really looking for owt i can live in or anything with a fin which make a cossie owner blush but just made me laugh & is so different as i say it got me thinking... (no not just about how many chavettes you could impregnant if you dfrove to a cruise in one lol)
Cant afford jack ATM anyway but sumin to think abotu ongoing.....might even email a few importers see what kinda thing they come across on the hi-ace front.....
Si (hypocrit cause i recall going WTF is that abomination when i saw one at a Jap show)
Old 14 January 2005, 12:49 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

as in i dunno first thoughts are it's be nice to have sumwhere to stay warm in the shows especially ones where it's wet/cold when the RX7 dont come out to play anyway & there are many scooby owners & their children who've had to put my tent up cause i was far too rat arsed last year
Can you get 'em with tow bars then i could take both a silly pimp wagon where i could look a **** get drunk & pass out in a nice ready assembled metal tent while having performance car for any driving (pre **** up) events.
Ahhh bugger it anyone wana buy my *** i got too many dreams & not enough cash....
Si
Old 14 January 2005, 12:54 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

LMAO at vengabus too i'd have to get some big subs & put that song on repeat till i drove everyone insain........
Anyone got any links for the holdsworth arto etc type folks.
Stupid qustion mode on coachworks is that just a name for the genre of companies which do work on busses, coaches travveling type vehicles/conversion etc or is it actaully a very big company/brand?
Si (a la retardo)
Old 14 January 2005, 12:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

PPPPPPS what the heck is the story behind the bumper the size of a small country on the back of the hiace is it just for "show" or is it sum bizarre kinda balcony? Presume you can actually stand on it like else sum punk wood just bust it off.......
Si
Old 14 January 2005, 01:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I think it's a bike rack

Which I suppose the roof spoiler doubles up as a ramp for BMX stunts