goodbye WRX, hello ????????

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 08:26 PM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy goodbye WRX, hello ????????

Hi,

I need some serious advice! I have an 04 WRX wagon company car, but am changing jobs to a company that dont do company cars. They offer an allowance. The deal they offered was enough to run a WRX - but I will be doing 30k miles a year, and dont fancy filling up every other day. So Im going to have to go to an oil burner - yikes!

so far Ive considered:

Mondeo ST TDCi
Mazda 6 2.0D sport
BMW 320d sport
Honda Accord 2.2D sport
(and a few other no chancers!)

Have driven the ST - good figures for oil burner, but a Ford! Also brakes felt crap - but have to lower my expectations after the WRX.

Any thougths anyone?
Old 18 January 2005, 09:00 PM
stone-islandM3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buzz_lightyear
Hi,

I need some serious advice! I have an 04 WRX wagon company car, but am changing jobs to a company that dont do company cars. They offer an allowance. The deal they offered was enough to run a WRX - but I will be doing 30k miles a year, and dont fancy filling up every other day. So Im going to have to go to an oil burner - yikes!

so far Ive considered:

Mondeo ST TDCi
Mazda 6 2.0D sport
BMW 320d sport
Honda Accord 2.2D sport
(and a few other no chancers!)

Have driven the ST - good figures for oil burner, but a Ford! Also brakes felt crap - but have to lower my expectations after the WRX.

Any thougths anyone?
I had a few company cars (diesels) over last couple of years:
VW Bora 1.9 tdi-should be called Boring not Bora
VW Passat 1.9tdi-huge car with huge boot but not very inspiring.
BM 320D Sport-I'm biased cos I love BMs but this looked good and with a smartbox/chip was getting better drive and about 170ish bhp. Without the chip it takes a bit of getting used to as the turbo kicks in about 2krpm but abruptly drops at 4250rpm and it leaves the car wheezing.
My brother-in-law drives a Honda Accord 2.2D sport-nice car with good spec but not a brilliant drive.

The 320d used to fill up about £40 and get 450 miles of 'enthusiastic' driving.

HTH,John
Old 18 January 2005, 09:23 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

What about a Saab 93 Diesel to be different from possibly the obvious choice of a BMW 330 Diesels, though they are very good !

Richard
Old 19 January 2005, 09:10 AM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

If *you* are buying it ie not the company - then it has to be the 320d - simply from the residuals point of view.
I wouldn't go fo the Saab - a friend of mine had one (had 3 turbos replaced in 80k miles !) - and residuals of Saabs is generally poor.

Gastro
Old 19 January 2005, 09:22 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I'd like to contradict the comment above. 3 series residual values have been on the slide recently, and they won't be helped by the new model 3 going on sale in March. The best private buy would be the Accord, which isn't due for replacement, and has excellent residuals to go with it. Plus it also has the best engine in the class.

Though if you are tempted by the ST TDCi, I know someone who will supply a Brand New UK sourced car for £16700 OTR, which is a useful £5400 below list price......

Last edited by Reffro; 19 January 2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 19 January 2005, 11:52 AM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

Thats another thing Im unsure of! To buy, lease, PCP or Contract Hire? I think I would prefer one of the options that means I dont own the car, favouring the Contract Hire. Not sure what residuals any car will have after 3 years and 90k miles. At least I could walk away. With maintenance cover its also a fixed monthly cost.

boradspeed.com offered the ST at around £17k OTR with a couple of options.

The Honda is an ok car, but I hate the steering feel (or lack of it) and I would prefer a hatchback. The honda estate is the ugliest looking thing on the road and thats comes from someone who chose an 04 WRX Wagon! But the engine seemed to be the most refined of the oil burners tried so far.

Tried a 330d ES tourer today. Not bad, **** all in it though, and I (more like the wife + kids) wants a bit more space, after being confined in the WRX!

Saab looks ok - but again, only saloon option.

I hate choosing cars!
Old 19 January 2005, 01:54 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Golf GTTDi too small?
Old 19 January 2005, 04:49 PM
buzz_lightyear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Golf GTTDi too small?
Yeah tis really. went to VW dealer, ended up looking over R32 until the boss got wind of what it was and put a stop to that!