Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Current Generation Merc E500

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 11:25 AM
PompeyP1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current Generation Merc E500

I'm afraid the P1 will be up for sale soon. With my first baby on the way very shortly, I just don't have enough doors or boot space to accommodate the rising amount of 'stuff' accumulating around the house and apparently requiring to be transported on every journey

Still need some power Have looked at and driven an M5, but also wondering about the E500. Anybody have experience of one of these. ANy comments on usual stuff - speed, handling, space, costs???

Cheers all

Paul
Old 06 February 2005, 11:49 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

I has a similar circustance - got a previous generation E55 AMG in the end, the W210 98-2002 model. Budget couldnt run to the latest E55. The w210 is buyable for about 20-25k for a low miles very nice example and has 350bhp/400ft/lb so is fast but will certainly not handle like a p1. Understeers and cannot cope with crests and compressions well at all. I think the M5 would be a better sports saloon but I just could not cope with the BMW ownership baggage.

Will get a 911 plus a diesel family hatch/estate for my next move I think.
Old 07 February 2005, 12:32 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

I went from a Classic Impreza Turbo to a New Shape E320cdi Avantgarde Estate. Might be worth considering if you fancy a total change.. Not as quick as the E500 I'm sure (although they can be easily chipped). In general I've been pleased with it so far. Build quality is excellent, the dealers have been better than top gear etc suggests and I'm getting around 30 to the gallon with my heavy right foor and mostly A / B road driving. I gather there is a new "sport" pack which looks nice on the petrol models (7 speed auto, 18" alloys, sports steering wheel etc). Otherwise go for Avantgarde spec or they look a bit dufferish. My only regret is that I didn't order COMAND.

IMHO the estate looks nicer than the saloon.. Same with the new 5 series too..Maybe I'm just getting old!
Old 08 February 2005, 10:43 AM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by PompeyP1
I'm afraid the P1 will be up for sale soon. With my first baby on the way very shortly, I just don't have enough doors or boot space to accommodate the rising amount of 'stuff' accumulating around the house and apparently requiring to be transported on every journey

Still need some power Have looked at and driven an M5, but also wondering about the E500. Anybody have experience of one of these. ANy comments on usual stuff - speed, handling, space, costs???

Cheers all

Paul
Paul, I am a previous owner of two scoobies & most recently a CupraR, but with birth of our daughter 6 months ago realised that I needed more space & comfort, but still wanted good performance. I ended up buying a MY00 E39 M5 and haven't looked back! Our daughter seems to like it too and often a trip in the M5 is the easiest way to make her sleep. Feel free to mail me if you have any questions & oh it was cheeper to insure than an STI too !

Regards
Steve