Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mazda 6 MPS

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 07:48 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda 6 MPS

Anyone else see this http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...470520,00.html - looks quite interesting
Old 06 February 2005, 07:59 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I'd been waiting for that to actually see the light of day for a while. Somehow the car got watered-down between the concept and the final version. In its original form it was a 2.3 litre turbo direct injection competitor to the Scoob and Evo. Then the AWD was shown to be the Haldex system and the designers struggled to make it not have any scoops.

It ended up being a repmobile, front-wheel drive with up to 50% rear if it slips. Probably still a good car, and I've no doubt that it has got the horsepower and torque to make it fun. I guess the weight went up... 0-60 is 6.6 I believe.

In its original concept form it was based on the hatchback variant, now it is using the saloon variant with fixed rear seats. That killed it for me - I wanted folding rear seats.

Mrs. Ricardo has got an RX8 though, and I can't fault the local Mazda dealer (Hiltingbury Motors) - much much better than any Subaru dealer I've encountered...
Old 07 February 2005, 10:19 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by ricardo
In its original concept form it was based on the hatchback variant, now it is using the saloon variant with fixed rear seats. That killed it for me - I wanted folding rear seats.
Yeah, I liked the original concept car as well but they've ruined it with the production version. Not for me at all. I ended up going for a 2.0T Quattro A3 Sportback.