Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Just had VXT test drive

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2005, 05:08 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had VXT test drive

I currently run a 02 Sti type UK with 320 hp and a few suspension mods. I have just started my research into my next car, which I want to be more fun to drive without going at insane speeds. The VXT is one of the front running contenders, so I went for a test drive today at my local dealer in Abingdon, Oxon. They have a black demonstrator with only 100 miles on the clock. When I enquired about the test drive they seemed reluctant because they didn't want to put too many miles on the car! What the heck are demonstrators for then? After a phone call to his superiors the dealer relented.

Here are my thoughts on the VXT after repeating the test drive route in my Scoob.

The steering feel in the VXT is in another league and much more sensitive than my Scoob. I didn't notice the steering weighting so it must have been just right. The brakes were effortless and powerful, the ride supple and the gearchange short with a nice mechanical feel. Surprisingly there were no rattles or clonks probably due to the low mileage. The heater was adequate with the roof off and an ambient temp of around 9 C. The driving position is good allowing my legs to be stretched out horizontally, although the steering wheel did obscure the rev counter slightly in the 11 o'clock position.

Unsurprisingly the car is much better to drive with roof off and does not suffer with little wind buffeting. The acceleration is effortless, but it felt slower than my Scoob and less dramatic despite being nearer to the ground! This probably explained by the low mileage on the VXT (tight engine), my Scoob having a slightly higher power to weight ratio by about 5 hp/t and having more turbo lag. I am sure a visit to AMD for a new exhaust and remap would improve things dramatically!

The handling felt very secure with no sign of oversteer. I did encounter some understeer at one point though when I accelerated in the middle of a sharp bend at 40 mph. It corners flatter than my Scoob. The VXT sounds pathetic compared to a Scoob, but I am told that a Miltek exhaust will improve things.

Overall I was impressed, as was my girlfriend who also had a drive. I even worked out a way of getting in and out of the VXT with the roof on that was not too bad!

The other cars on my list to try are: BoxsterS, 996, 993 and Spec C.

Alan