Nissan Sunny GTi

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2005, 12:48 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nissan Sunny GTi

Hello

I'm thinking about one of these as my next runabout, just the 2 litre GTi, NOT the 4wd GTi-R.

I'm driving a Primera eGT at the mo and the engine is a cracker and the handling is good, so to me it seems like a good idea to have the same engine in a smaller package. They seem pretty cheap, if you can find one that is. Has anyone driven one? What's the handling like?

Cheers

Brian
Old 13 February 2005, 02:08 PM
datsunman
Scooby Regular

I've got one, bought as a 'temporary' measure while I changed jobs and sort my cars out, that was six months ago though! M reg car, just done 100k (100111 miles now...) and paid just over a grand for it.

It's actually very similar handling wise to the GTI-R (had one of those a few years ago) and has the same crap brakes. Handling's not too bad, bit of understeer when pushing hard but can be cured by the usual aftermarket addons. (Not that it's worth it if it's 'just' a runabout).

Despite the looks of the car they are deceptively quick, I really annoyed an 04 plated Civic Type-R the other day, nothing in it straight line performance wise. (Not too sure about the fabled 'twisties' but it'd be interesting!) I'd be willing to place a wage on my car and insurance costing the same as his insurance too!!

Fuel consumption isn't bad, but not brilliant, 300 miles to about thirty eight quid. Probably similar to yours at the moment I'd think.

Overall a good little motor, if not the prettiest.
Old 13 February 2005, 05:06 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

There don't seem to be many Sunny GTIs about on autotrader at the moment. The Almera GTI can be picked up for a little extra. I've had one for just over a year now and I'm really pleased with it. Build quality and performance are more than acceptable.
Old 13 February 2005, 05:10 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Had one of these at the same time as owning a Corolla GTI, so direct comparisons between the two were unavoidable. Thought that the Sunnys turning circle was crap, and that the way the seat backrest came forward under braking was annoying. Also on higher mileage ones, the electric front windows fall out of their guides. The Sunny was quicker, but I thought the Corolla handled better. If you haven't already guessed, I preferred the Toyota....a bit slower, but a better car. Didn't dislike the Nissan though.
Old 13 February 2005, 07:11 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Had a Sunny Gti last year, good strong motor that felt a lot like the Vauxhall XE performance wise, brakes appaling, handly ok in a roly poly kinda way, altho once you trusted it to lean over then grip it was pretty chuckable. understeer a bit annoying, as was the tendency to light the inside tyre up coming out of slow bends, if you were a bit heavy footed. A good solid car tho overall. The windows did do that annoying thing as said above, but otherwise it was a cracker. Almera is a newer slightly heavier version from what I gather, more or less the same performance but not as good looking as the Nissan, to my eyes at least.

I bought the Nissan from a guy on SN as it happens.
Old 14 February 2005, 09:51 AM
dome
Scooby Regular

Chhers for all the input guys, sounds like a not too bad wee car. micared, I may look into the corolla gti route too.
Old 14 February 2005, 02:07 PM
littlemiss
Scooby Regular

i have got a alerma gti and i like mine well i would love it but i drive my parents ra a lot!
it has never let me down (just gonna touch wood!) they go very nicely cheapish to insure and run they are quite big inside as well
Old 14 February 2005, 02:53 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Default corolla gti

Hi concerning the corolla gti every one ive seen are very rusty now.
havent seen many about but heard the engine is a good un.
i dont know if ive seen a sunny gti before what plate are we talking about here a g reg 1990?any pictures?
Old 14 February 2005, 04:40 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies, i'm going to keep my options open I think, I need to sell my Primera first once its through it's MOT. As usual, I'll probably buy wahtevers about when I've got cash sitting

Pics here Sunny GTi's on Autotrader