Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2005, 02:54 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4

It's that time of the year, insurance is due, service next month (£400), Tax starts me thinking. Hardly get chance to use the Evo as I take my wife's diesel for work, when I do I'm stuck in traffic, when I do get the chance to open her up a bit I'm watching for speed cameras and doing 15mpg .

Started thinking about an Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro, any experiences?
Old 15 February 2005, 03:14 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My mate has just got his 54 reg A4 back. Not sure whether this info would be of interest to you, but it is a sad story indeed. My mate went out drinking with his mate. My mates mate doesn't drink and my mate Dave asked his mate if he wouldn't mind driving him back to his place, rather than leaving his new Audi in town. The car had a little over 1000 miles on it and my Daves mate was giving it some beans down a duel carrigeway. The time was 2am and obviously there was not much traffic, so he tried to negotiate a round about and let the quattro bit do it's thing as he launched in at 70 mph. Out of nowhere a transit van appeared and he 't-boned' it pushing it around 20ft sideways onto a round about. The van driver was absolutly fine, but naturally very upset. He managed to wedge the car between the front and rear wheels which wasn't as bad as it could have been. The audi was spanked good and proper, and some £16000 later it is back on the road.

So to get to a point, i can verify that Audi's are a choice car in the safety side of things, something not many people like to think about, but rest asured you can count on the Audi A4.

Andy
Old 15 February 2005, 03:43 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Not my first thought, but good to know. 16k, must have been a hell of a state!!
Old 15 February 2005, 04:11 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

It'll bore you ****less .

Had a 3.0 Quattro Petrol for 6 months about a year ago. It was a great car but in the end I got fed up with being cossetted and not feeling like I was in a car never mind driving a relatively fast one !

Go for something "nippy" - Elise, mini cooper, VX220 etc - might be more fun for less bucks.
Old 15 February 2005, 06:00 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
It'll bore you ****less .

Had a 3.0 Quattro Petrol for 6 months about a year ago. It was a great car but in the end I got fed up with being cossetted and not feeling like I was in a car never mind driving a relatively fast one !

Go for something "nippy" - Elise, mini cooper, VX220 etc - might be more fun for less bucks.
Wife and two kids - no can do with those cars.
Old 16 February 2005, 08:08 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Get them 3 bus passes .

Maybe the Audi is the answer - but I would get a long test drive before you part with any cash - and get a 2 year old one to minimise any potential losses if you do get bored with it !
Old 16 February 2005, 08:56 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
Get them 3 bus passes .

Maybe the Audi is the answer - but I would get a long test drive before you part with any cash - and get a 2 year old one to minimise any potential losses if you do get bored with it !
Tok the Evo on my commute up the Fosse way today.....ahhhh bliss.

DELETE THREAD!
Old 16 February 2005, 09:06 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Not my first thought, but good to know. 16k, must have been a hell of a state!!
it was a bit of a mess. Because it was a S-Line, with every extra there were very expensive parts like xenon lights @ £500+ each and parking sensors in the front bumper, new rad, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, turbo (i think) intercooler, wings, inner wings, slam panel, front bumper, grille and lights, bonnet, windscreen, dash board, x4 airbags, steering wheel, lower arms, full front suspension and anti roll kit + x2 18" s-line alloys and x2 tyres. That is to name but a few parts required, then fitting and spraying, all of which was done at a BMW body shop !?!?

As far as the car itself goes, i am supprised my single 24 year old mate has got one. Especially when he sold his Golf GTTDI and a MZ3 roadster for the audi !!!

His 2nd choice however was a Volvo S60R. Which was a very nice choice indeed.

P.S If the Volvo is of interest there is one at my local dealer, you can steal for £25995. It is a 54 reg pre reg with no miles. Manual in that light green colour !!!!!

Andy
Old 16 February 2005, 10:08 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
P.S If the Volvo is of interest there is one at my local dealer, you can steal for £25995. It is a 54 reg pre reg with no miles. Manual in that light green colour !!!!!
But you might want to check how much this will depreciate!!...... spect you'd lose 20k over 3years with the Volvo - the Audi might cost more in the first place, but you'll see a hell of a lot more of your cash back when you come to sell.
Old 16 February 2005, 10:48 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
But you might want to check how much this will depreciate!!...... spect you'd lose 20k over 3years with the Volvo - the Audi might cost more in the first place, but you'll see a hell of a lot more of your cash back when you come to sell.
True. German cars hold there money better, but a £35k Volvo will not loose that much from the £25k it is at now. You can't get a 850 T5-R for less than 4k now and they are 1994 M reg's. So the R model will do better than the other Volvo's.
Old 16 February 2005, 02:15 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MattW
DELETE THREAD!
Good Choice !

If you do come out of the Evo then my advice would be not to try and get something that you think will give you anything like the "buzz" you get from the Evo. Your best bet would be to get a replacement that is not even in the same league - You'll just end up missing the Evo more if you think you'll still get the thrills from your fast, soft German cruiser !

Jase

Last 4 cars before my current Shogun.

UK300 - A4 Quattro - ST170 - STi8.

Eventually came to my senses and got a Shogun 4x4 So I could get a New House too ! The Move from the STi8 to the Shogun has been easier to live with than the move from the UK300 to the A4 !

ps The move to the ST170 only lasted 3 months
Old 16 February 2005, 02:56 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Think about it seriously before you sell the Evo.

I'm now regretting selling my P1 and am looking to sell the Skabia and get another Scooby. Nothing wrong with the Fabia, it's great. Just not as much fun as a Scooby.

I'll be a chav again soon, and able to come drinking with you again.

What do you want for the Evo?
Old 16 February 2005, 03:21 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Iwan
Think about it seriously before you sell the Evo.

I'm now regretting selling my P1 and am looking to sell the Skabia and get another Scooby. Nothing wrong with the Fabia, it's great. Just not as much fun as a Scooby.

I'll be a chav again soon, and able to come drinking with you again.

What do you want for the Evo?
I was gonna ask that too

But I thought it was being too cheeky !!