Need cheaper car...

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2005, 10:10 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need cheaper car...

Ok I've owned my Scoob WRX from new (53 plate) and have been putting this off for months. I aren't using the car as much as I should (5,800 miles) because I can't really afford the fuel when giving it a bit of stick (or maybe I don't WANT to afford the fuel). The wife has a Fabia vRS which I use more than her (partly because it is fun at lower speeds,and partly because of the economy - 600 miles to a tank, anyone??). Not to mention cost of insurance and one attempted break in for the keys...

So....

I need a new car - not second hand as I am very unlucky with s/h motors. I want something that feels quick/quicker?? than a 205 with an MI16 conversion cos my Scoob doesn't feel as quick as my old 205 once moving (I don't do the drag race thing...lol).

If I'm honest, the Scoob scares me by how fast I have to go to get a thrill...and I'm an advanced driver. lol.

Anyways I want to spend less than 20 grand (would prefer to spend a lot lot less than that - as I have negative equity in the car ) and need air con. The car MUST get 40 mpg driving like a grandad - cos the daily commute is 12 miles of 40mph zones and the Scoob's 25 mpg on this run is taking the ****. Not bothered on 2 or 4 doors, boot space or any other practicality apart from fuel. BUT MUST HAVE LOW SPEED THRILLS.

I'm thinking the usual suspects - 172 (any pre regs still around?)/182/cup??/CTR/Mini errr WORKS??/Ibiza TDI thingy??

Used to have a Golf MKIV 130 TDI before the Scoob which handled terribly but gave me a lot more fun than the Scoob.

Any new car advice?
Old 16 February 2005, 10:20 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart Roadster. Or S2000.

Tip - calculate how much you'll lose through depreciation, and how much petrol that loss could buy you. Where's the break-even point when it's better to sell for cheap fuel, rather than keep and avoid the depreciation hit? In financial terms, I think you'll find it'll cost you more to sell it than to keep it.
Old 16 February 2005, 10:26 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

That is a fair point but there is also insurance and monthly HP paymets - was hoping to drop both of these. Don't mind losing money but want to reduce outgoings.

Potential car list also to include Leon/HRV boxy turbo thingy - is it a Daihatsu??
Old 16 February 2005, 10:54 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

If you can put up with the hairdresser comments (I can and do ) then one of the usual suspects in the roadster market will probably satisfy you. Low cars tend to increase the feeling of speed more. So any of the Smart Roadster, MR2, MX5, Elise, VX220 would suffice. Obviously insurance is less on some than others.

My mate has the Smart Roadster and it feels a lot faster than it is because you are seated so low. I currently drive an '04 MR2. I actually find it a lot more fun and involving than the Scoob was, running costs are cheap too
Old 16 February 2005, 10:54 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Interesting scenario.

Diesel seems to be favorite, judging by your need to do lots of mpg, which rules out the 5 and 6 pots such as the BMW's / Volvo's / bigger audi's.

So a decent 4 pot diesel would be choice, and i think and nice Golf 5 GTTDI 2.0 would be a start. Nice and punchy engine with the ability to chip to 180+hp and 280+ lb/ft if required. I think they are about 18k new, but i am positive a dealer will have a nice spec'd ex-demo which will save a few £££

The other way of being economical, is loose the weight, so something along the lines of a super mini would be another choice. A Mini cooper will achieve mid 30's and up to 40 in theory. Circa 115 hp nice and nippy, very safe with nice german build quality and supurb residuals.......
Old 16 February 2005, 11:06 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mate of mine had a Mini Cooper (non-S, non-Works) which he reckoned was as much fun as my old 205 GTI (1.6).

What about the new C2 VTR?
Old 16 February 2005, 11:17 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Do you really want a brand new car if you want to save money? You could buy a year-old model and use the remainder of the factory warranty.
Old 16 February 2005, 11:28 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

OK then - doesn't have to be new but no older than 6 months (I'm planning on taking finance over 5 years).

Started this thread hoping to save payments each month...been looking around and I can get a new Golf TDI 140 DSG for £18k...oh god!!! what am I thinking Still at least I wouldn't have to fuel up as often
Old 16 February 2005, 12:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Suggest you take a test drive in the Golf before doing anything. I tried the 2 litre 140 GT TDI yesterday, with sports suspension pack on it.

Er. Hum. Harumph. Yuk. Engine was strong, but the amount of understeer was painful. Admittedly, I need to learn to drive a FWD diesel rather than a petrol scoob, but I was seriously underwhelmed at the handling. Safe, but boring - although I wasn't trying to get any lift off oversteer with the salesman in the car too...

I'll be interested to see where you go with this thread. I'm considering doing the same

This was a 54 plate ex demo at 10k miles with quite a few options, on at £19,250. "Optimistic" was my way of describing the pricing structure of the garage in question.
Old 17 February 2005, 11:57 PM
ellisg
Scooby Regular

You have very limited choices and have to face upto facts, you can't compare 20 year old cars to modern cars. Modern cars are safe, handle, quiet and very heavy.

The Clio 172 Cup or 182 is as close as you will get from a new car to a 205 1.9, they still do not compare to a 205 mi though.
The safety laws means they can't be so raw anymore, its for your safety remember, 205 was a tin can, paper thin, noisy and raw.

If you can't afford/don't want 20mpg why are you spending 20k on a car that would be worth half that price in 3 years, that costs more than the petrol.

Either get a Clio 182 or go back to your roots and get yourself another 205 Mi thats been professionally rebuilt and has air con and save a big load of cash.
My Mi does 20k miles a year, 34 mpg, £250 to insure and has been far more reliable than my wifes new cars for a tenth of the price. Its a hoot to drive and always gives a smile at sensible speeds.
I'm going to have to service it again soon, I might get up to £100 for a years worth of service parts Actually I also bought 4 new toyo t1-Rs this year at £30 each, ouch!
I keep thinking of getting a Clio 182, I can never make up my mind, seems alot of money for little difference.
Old 18 February 2005, 12:07 AM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
Suggest you take a test drive in the Golf before doing anything. I tried the 2 litre 140 GT TDI yesterday, with sports suspension pack on it.

Er. Hum. Harumph. Yuk. Engine was strong, but the amount of understeer was painful. Admittedly, I need to learn to drive a FWD diesel rather than a petrol scoob, but I was seriously underwhelmed at the handling. Safe, but boring - although I wasn't trying to get any lift off oversteer with the salesman in the car too...

I'll be interested to see where you go with this thread. I'm considering doing the same

This was a 54 plate ex demo at 10k miles with quite a few options, on at £19,250. "Optimistic" was my way of describing the pricing structure of the garage in question.
Exactly my son.... you need to lern to drive again my GT TDi Mk5 out handles my old MY99 second to none and on the home A road spint I've shaved almost 2 min off a 30 min journey in the scoob

That besides I'm picking up an STi 8 for the weekends in 3 weeks time
Old 18 February 2005, 07:15 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

BMW 320d, 1 year old.

Handles well, reasonably quick, 45mpg, great to own
Old 18 February 2005, 08:28 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Nixon, I'll bite, what's the secret? Slow in to get the front turned in? Turn in on the brakes? I'd genuinely like to know as I was really disappointed. By comparison, a 330d felt unbelievably good in the handling stakes...