Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2005, 08:51 AM
crush her
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test driven a 182 with cup pack

well what can i say.

Pros
Looks good (you wouldn't especially notice it), sounds ok, plenty of equipment, handling and grip very very good (as the Focus RS behind found out), good on petrol.

Cons
Dealer price (£15k they really are having a laugh) and it didnt seem to be all that quick, but it could have been tight.

If the price is right I'm really interested in getting one, but one thing is putting me off. I've owned french cars before and from what I've read from other websites, this car is plagued with problems. Anyone on here got one?
Old 19 February 2005, 09:09 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I had a test drive in a 172 cup and hated it, the interior was awful, the driving position made you feel like you were sat on it and not in it, it was also ofset, it felt tinny, and not that fast. Looked quite nice though, but they will fall to pieces and depreciate like crazy.

Civic Type-R is where it's at mate.
Old 19 February 2005, 09:12 AM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

CRT is a nice car - I test drove one before getting a clio for the wife. It was the 5k difference in price that helped me choose the Clio.

You will get a 182 with Cup stuff for 12k
You won't get a CTR with A/C for less than 17k

I big difference.
Old 19 February 2005, 09:19 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I know the price diff is big but the CTR will hold it's value and give you good reliabilty.
Old 19 February 2005, 09:31 AM
crush her
Scooby Regular

I actually drove a type R the same day (my dad's!) and it did seem so much better put together, with no dodgy French supermini driving position either. The type R also seemed to have more go as well, and that engine sounds sooooo good ! However the car isn't for me but my girlfriend and she won't even entertain a type r (it actually made her physically sick) May try the fiesta 150st but think it will dive bomb in price once an rs version hits the streets.
Old 19 February 2005, 11:53 AM
The_Titanium_Knob_Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crush her
I actually drove a type R the same day (my dad's!) and it did seem so much better put together, with no dodgy French supermini driving position either. The type R also seemed to have more go as well, and that engine sounds sooooo good ! However the car isn't for me but my girlfriend and she won't even entertain a type r (it actually made her physically sick) May try the fiesta 150st but think it will dive bomb in price once an rs version hits the streets.
You might be waiting a helluva long time for a Fiesta RS version.....I'd be surprised if Ford actually made it at all.
Old 19 February 2005, 06:45 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

The Mrs has got a 182 and it's a damn good little car.....

Driving position gets better when you find the secret lever and it is definately quick.

There is a definite step in the power band at about 5k rpm and it steps on it. Ours has the cup spoiler and handling pack and it handles very well and is quite balanced with the throttle on/off to swing the tail out....

It's got 8.5k on it and is nicely loosened up now.

Ours is in Black gold and looks very nice....

They don't fall apart I can assure you (oh the stereotype) and they punch well above their weight....

If you want a pic of ours (just taken today) in the black gold, PM me your e-mail address unless someone can host one...

If you're in the market for a hot hatch, you'd be daft not to seriously consider the 182 or even worse dismiss it due to uninformed advice....

Check out EVO magazine for their thoughts on it....

Last edited by Horico; 19 February 2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 19 February 2005, 07:04 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

My 172 engine was well tight for the first 5000 miles or so, it didn’t really start to give its best until it was about 4-5 months old. When it was run in I noticed at a cliosport.net rolling road day how it reved more free than the newer 172's, on that day all of the "run in" Clios were putting out more than the newer ones I think 12BHP was the biggest difference we saw.

And those who say the CTR is a load faster than the 172 are just plane wrong, I’ve had 1st had experience of this (3 times to be exact) and ive been nose to tail with CTR's till about 100 -110.

And anyone who say the Clio build quality is ****e are write, it is crap mine went back to the dealer 3 time one of them for a serious fault.
Old 19 February 2005, 07:05 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

I like the 182 but not for 15k, like it has been said you can get the 182 with cup pack and spoiler for under 12k,even if you want to use the main dealer this info will get you a very good discount on 15k
Old 19 February 2005, 07:07 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

isnt the 182 11500 quid from car supermarkets such as motorpoint and tradesales of slough
surely youd be mad to buy from a dealer
Old 19 February 2005, 07:09 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

i paid 12K for my new 172 on the road from Motorhouse Cannock
Old 19 February 2005, 07:14 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

u have to search hard to find a supermarket that can do the cup packs tho...we struggled and went for an ex demo car, 3 months old with a couple of extras for a lot less than new.

Although u may be able to get a 182 'cup' which is a slightly spec'd down version but has the handling pack on it
Old 19 February 2005, 07:32 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You won't get a CTR with A/C for less than 17k
How come I did then and only waited 4 weeks for delivery
Old 19 February 2005, 07:41 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

OK, 2 of my friends have these, an 04 and a 54 plate. The 04 is fine with no problems (Other than the water ingress into the boot area) BUT the 54 is a nightmare. It was bought new about 6 weeks ago, main dealer £12.5k.......5 miles from the dealer various warning lights came on (still not fixed), the Boot gets soaking & has had to be silicon sealed, it dumped its coolant on the floor. It's been back half a dozen times for niggly things & currently the car is at the dealer (for 2 weeks now) with a 'problem' relating to a melted aircon belt (!) but no definite answer as to when it will be returned or really exactly what's wrong with it!
Could just be 'one of those cars' but TBH the owner could do with advice as to how to reject it as a lemon!
Looks like things haven't moved on much at Renault since my 5GTT horror experiences
Old 19 February 2005, 07:48 PM
sh4un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STEVECHAPS
OK, 2 of my friends have these, an 04 and a 54 plate. The 04 is fine with no problems (Other than the water ingress into the boot area) BUT the 54 is a nightmare. It was bought new about 6 weeks ago, main dealer £12.5k.......5 miles from the dealer various warning lights came on (still not fixed), the Boot gets soaking & has had to be silicon sealed, it dumped its coolant on the floor. It's been back half a dozen times for niggly things & currently the car is at the dealer (for 2 weeks now) with a 'problem' relating to a melted aircon belt (!) but no definite answer as to when it will be returned or really exactly what's wrong with it!
Could just be 'one of those cars' but TBH the owner could do with advice as to how to reject it as a lemon!
Looks like things haven't moved on much at Renault since my 5GTT horror experiences
What a nightmare that is totally unacceptable, dunno the legalities of regecting the car, but im sure someone in here will........
Old 19 February 2005, 10:02 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Talking

well what can i say.

Pros
Looks good (you wouldn't especially notice it), sounds ok, plenty of equipment, handling and grip very very good (as the Focus RS behind found out), good on petrol.

Cons
Dealer price (£15k they really are having a laugh) and it didnt seem to be all that quick, but it could have been tight.

If the price is right I'm really interested in getting one, but one thing is putting me off. I've owned french cars before and from what I've read from other websites, this car is plagued with problems. Anyone on here got one?
I had a 182 last year. Dont pay 15k though, 13k for a car with cup and metalic max. I didnt have any reason to visit the dealer in the months I had her, more than can be said for the Type R that followed. IMHO, the 182 is a better bet than a type R. 182 is great fun, handles brilliantly and doesnt go too badly. One of my better buys - liked it much more than my old Cooper S

Jonathan
Old 19 February 2005, 10:22 PM
Horico
Scooby Regular

sounds pretty much like any other manufacturer - they can all churn out the odd ****ter....

Ours has been spot on so far....
Old 19 February 2005, 10:25 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

well what can i say.

Pros

Cons

Hi,

I have had a 172 for the last 3 years ( Just getting rid of it for a Scoob ).
I have also been a member of Cliosport.net for the last 3 years so have heard a lot about what goes wrong with them, The most common faults that the majority of owners on the site had ( Me included for all 5 ) are

1. Exhaust rattle at 4000 revs ( F**kin annoying on the Mway ) but covered by the warrenty, needs a new centre section of exhaust, I think the newer 182's may have had this problem curred.

2. Washer bottle splits !! and empties all the screen wash on the floor, again covered by warrenty.

3. Head light washer jets pop out and you end up soaking everthing and anyone within about 5 feet of the car.

4. The airbag light and oil warning light keep comming on, this is to do with a crap sensor that needs to be replaced, If I remember it was under the passenger seat, used to be triggered off in mine if I moved the passenger seat to let people into the back.

5. Alarm system needing to be re-wired, mine kept thinking it had a door still open when you put it on, turned out it was a wire that had been trapped behind the head uniot and was shorting out to the body of the head unit making the alarm think the doors were still open.

Others on the website had a few more serious problems, were a few with clutch and gearbox problems, think they were the earlier MK II 172's a few also had problems with the rear window leaking.

Overall I would say the problems I had diddn't put me off the car I have had three years trouble free motoring and loved every minute of it !! Infact I nearly had a 182 it was only the fact that Renault offered me such a w@nk deal to have it that I looked else where.

Fun car to drive, Very quick, you can suprise people with how quick it is and how it handles, loads of toys and gadets on them, I would say avoid the 182 cup though, its basically the 1.2 dynamic with the 2.0L engine !!! Cloth interior normal seats no toys etc....
But get a 182 with the cup pack !!

The only real down side I would say is the cost of servicing and spare parts from Renault !!! But there are plenty of people that sell the genuine renault parts around if you can be bothered to look !!

Mark
Old 19 February 2005, 10:40 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I had a 172 before I bought the scoob and to be honest if someone offered me good money in part ex I would be driving a 182. As good as the scoob is its a damned expensive beast to own and the clio just wasnt like that.
A renault is great value for money...........

Gary
Old 19 February 2005, 11:54 PM
crush her
Scooby Regular

I know someone with a just a standard megane and it seems renault dealers are truly appalling. I hate the thought of having to keep visiting the dealer.
Old 20 February 2005, 12:08 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

There is no difference between renault dealers and any other. They are all the same.

Gary
Old 20 February 2005, 12:39 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Never had any problems with the old 19 and that was 13 years old, interior was fine and not falling apart.

Only thing that fell off was the wheel when a woman hit me at 70mph

Just picked up a mk1 172 and it's great, much quicker than the old car (least with a mk1 I get the weight + speed of a cup with all the toys still ntact).

As for cheap prices, www.drivethedeal.com or co.uk, you can specify any option that's available for that car from the dealer.

They will also do you a ctr with aircon for 16k, and you actually buy the car from a main dealer at the end of it iirc.

To be honest, if I'd have had the cash it would have been a hard decision between a 182 (they look mean on the road, much better than older models) and a ctr, nd I'd have probably gone with the honda. But I didn't have that much to spend so an older 172 it was.
Old 20 February 2005, 11:40 AM
jonm01
Scooby Newbie

I've got a low mileage climate control 172 cup for sale if anyone is in the market.
Old 09 March 2005, 09:09 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have had no problems with my car and my dealer is very good - not owned by Renault, but a franchise. I think that helps.

Clare
Old 09 March 2005, 10:50 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
I had a test drive in a 172 cup and hated it.

Civic Type-R is where it's at mate.
Having owned both, they have each got their own pro's & con's, but the Clio is a good car!

CTR - larger, better built, superb engine & box, more mature image

Clio - small, fast, fun, sharp handling, better value for money
Old 10 March 2005, 09:29 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

In the market for a Hot Hatch, so have driven 182, Seat Ibiza PD130 and Cupra and Fabia vRS. I thought the 182 had so little front end grip - I am sure you will all say it can be sorted, but it had newish tyres and was the garage demo car, so was very surprising. I have heard so much about the car I was really disappointed, not just by the grip, but the driving position (like a bus), the seats (on not in), bits of trim were dropping off already, mid range was a bit lacking. But then mid range on the TDIs is amazing so not really comparing like for like there.

Overall I preferred the Fabia and got a great trade in so bought the Fabia. Not as much immediate fun I am sure but 56 pct retained value after 3 years cannot be ignored. The fuel savings and insurance are a big bonus too.