Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Forester replacement

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2005, 07:30 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forester replacement

MrsREV has decided that the Forester is too thirsty and to be honest I expected more than 25mpg out of the non-turbo motor so it's going to have to go. The question is, what do we replace it with?

Things we like about the Forester:

huge boot for carrying the pram and shopping and other baby associated gubbins as well as making trips to the tip at the weekend and fetching stuff from B&Q and IKEA.

High up so easy to get the baby in and out of his car seat, excellent visibility.

Very comfortable with heated seats and armrests

Great cruiser, very relaxed on the motorway

Things we don't like:

Fuel consumption. Er, thats it really.

Basically the replacement has to be as good at everything else as the Forester but be a diesel and cost no more than about £6000. Suggestions on a postcard...
Old 27 May 2005, 08:27 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

You won't like the answer, Mrs Dunk has a HDI Picasso - ave 45 mpg, comfy, a little noisy on the M'way at 88+, but the purpose is to to be the family bus & transport us & the endless kit in comfort, safely. For £200 you can remap to 120bhp, which I haven't done as having a fast bus is as pointless as a owning a fast pair of wellies.

D
Old 27 May 2005, 08:29 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually, I am looking into Picasso's and (God help us) Multipla's. I like the Fiat 'cos of it's startled frog looks and 6 seater layout but MrsREV ain't so keen.
Old 27 May 2005, 09:44 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a LWB diesel RAV4. But I would debate that it's comfortable on the motorway. Bearable yes, comfortable not really - bit noisy.

Otherwise, as above, you've all the MPVs to choose from.

Otherwise, Mondeo estate?
Old 27 May 2005, 10:11 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My wife used to run our Volvo T5 estate - but we needed to get a people mover. My recomendation:

http://www.briskoda.net/gallery/file...8/18052005.jpg

Andy
Old 27 May 2005, 10:14 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

"Try a LWB diesel RAV4. But I would debate that it's comfortable on the motorway. Bearable yes, comfortable not really - bit noisy."

I know this thread is about making recomendations and not being critical of other people's idea's, but my experience of a RAV has no been great, so i need to point out a couple of niggles. The fuel consumption is very high in both petrol and diesel models - The steering lock is hideous, the rear seats are cramped as is the boot. I am not sure about the ride or the noise levels, but i would say it was not an ideal replacement for a forester.

but the mondeo is proven !

Last edited by Andy M3; 27 May 2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:19 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, my experience is of one of the newer models - perhaps yours is of an old shape, the only available in this price range, and then I couldn't comment. Diesel consumption I found very high until I learned not to go over 140kmh (about 85mph), then it almost halved. Steering lock seems fine. I'll agree the boot isn't massive, but I tend to use the trick seats and not to drive with three passengers and luggage.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:25 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Andy, my experience is of one of the newer models - perhaps yours is of an old shape, the only available in this price range, and then I couldn't comment. Diesel consumption I found very high until I learned not to go over 140kmh (about 85mph), then it almost halved. Steering lock seems fine. I'll agree the boot isn't massive, but I tend to use the trick seats and not to drive with three passengers and luggage.
Yeah it is the older shape - i figure with a £6000 budget you could buy a <2000 model.

In addition having children i always have boot space just in case.......