Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Balanced opinions on the MGZR please..

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2005, 06:28 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balanced opinions on the MGZR please..

Im looking for something cheapish, reasonably comfortable and above all reliable and considering the price these go nearly new for i cant think of anything better for the money. Im not bothered about residuals and dont care that they arent particularly fast as its going to be strictly an A to B car. It should be (given the age of the car), hassle free motoring which is what i am after after years of driving French tin cans.

Can anybody give me a good reason why i shouldnt buy one as i think i have just talked myself into it...
Old 14 June 2005, 08:23 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

MG rover cars now have no warranties as they went bust is a good enough reason.

Something goes **** like an engine or gearbox and you've had it unless you purchase a 2nd hand warranty.

Poor build quality and a 10 yr old bubble shape that has seen the rover 200/25/ZR mk1/ZR mk 2 utilize the same shape.

They are so common, and they are having an image problem with all the max power lot buying them. Lexus lights/bodykits and stickers are plastered over the majority of zr's round my area. It is the new saxo for the teenage plebs!

Nice cars when they come out 4 years ago but engines are sluggish and over all as a package i'd go for something else.

BTW i had a ZR 160 when it was first released 4 years ago. I loved it at the time but i dont think much of them now!

Last edited by Mitchy260; 14 June 2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 14 June 2005, 08:53 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
MG rover cars now have no warranties as they went bust is a good enough reason.

Something goes **** like an engine or gearbox and you've had it unless you purchase a 2nd hand warranty.

Poor build quality and a 10 yr old bubble shape that has seen the rover 200/25/ZR mk1/ZR mk 2 utilize the same shape.

They are so common, and they are having an image problem with all the max power lot buying them. Lexus lights/bodykits and stickers are plastered over the majority of zr's round my area. It is the new saxo for the teenage plebs!

Nice cars when they come out 4 years ago but engines are sluggish and over all as a package i'd go for something else.

BTW i had a ZR 160 when it was first released 4 years ago. I loved it at the time but i dont think much of them now!
I know most of that to be honest but basically i have seen some year old ZR160's no less, with 10k on the clock for sale at c.£3k.

I am well aware of all the warranty issues etc and residuals but surely as an A to B car this cant be a bad idea for the price, can it?

It strikes me as a massive amount of car for the money.

Wise??
Old 14 June 2005, 09:25 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

That's much cheaper than I've seen. There was a similar thread on ZT buying not so long ago - consensus seemed to be that people would start to think about it at half price for a new car.

I can only see MG prices going down more tbh. Never driven one, so can't really comment more. Good value, probably... horrible image imo but if that doesn't bother you, good for you!
Old 14 June 2005, 09:49 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt85
Im looking for something reasonably comfortable and above all reliable...
Well that's rules out the MGZR then.

My boss's wife had one and had nothing but trouble. My dad has a 25 and that's been the same one thing after another.

The ride is very firm and the driving position is awefull. The seating is high and the wheel comes up at you out of the low dash at a steep angle. The wheel is also offset to the left so you sit twisted. The wheel adjusts for rake but not reach. If you are over 5'8" your knees will hit the wheel even with the seat on the lowest setting and the wheel at the highest.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 June 2005, 09:58 PM
logbrog
Scooby Regular

Wink

ZR160 for 3K, 1 year old?
What nonsence!!!

I'll have at least 2 for that price and i'd double my my money in a week

Is this the same source that that was selling ZT 260 V8's for 9K
Old 14 June 2005, 10:06 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

the wifes dads got one ,,,,AND THERE SHI*E,,,,sh*t drive etc,etc,etc,etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps and he is now selling it,,hes seen sence
Old 14 June 2005, 10:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know most of that to be honest but basically i have seen some year old ZR160's no less, with 10k on the clock for sale at c.£3k.

WHERE !!!!!

The old BRM model still goes for 3 grand (1999 V reg). I had a BRM and it was a quick car, headgasket went which is common on the K series, particularly the higher powered ones, the 1.4 does do it but its less common plus they did improve matters later on.

Its the wrong place to ask on here, the dont see it as cheap transport, they try and compare it to stuff at 5 times the price. Alright not the most modern hatch but still gets from A to B, not a bad shape (better looking than many newer hatches), economical, handles really well considering how old its underpinnings are but then again all cars still run on 4 tyres and have springs and dampers so not that much has changed, as for warranties my uncle got the cheapest REAL ZT 260 I have come across (15,500) and that has a warranty included in the price, not a Rover one but an indepandant one.

Just make a silly offer but I dont think the owners are panicing that much as they do have a following.