Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Appreciate some thoughts on what car to get next

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2005, 02:29 PM
Leagro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Appreciate some thoughts on what car to get next

I’m in the process of deciding on my next car. Having decided to get a medium size car (or small family car as some call them, although I don’t have a small family!) & that for some reason I want a diesel I have the following shortlist.

I’d appreciate any thoughts on these:

(In no particular order. Well except the astra which is definitely bottom of the list)

Focus 2.0 TDCi
Golf 2.0 TDI
C4 1.6 HDi or 2.0 HDi)
A3 2.0TDI
Astra 1.9

Current Criteria for choosing “the one”:
Reliability
Good drive
Low depreciation (compared to an impreza, anyway)
New (or under a year old)

Applying my criteria, I seem to have ruled out the following:
Focus – high depreciation
C4 - high depreciation, suspect Citroen reliability
Astra – depreciation? Reliability? It’s a Vauxhall!

As VW have recently not had the best build quality, I’m not sure about the golf. Along with the fact that 18 months ago I swore I’d never buy another VW, but things change . . .

This leaves the A3, which is the most expensive & also some reports indicate its rather bland.

Anything else I could look at? I’ve not come across a decent Japanese option yet. All seem rather too boring in the diesel range?

Hopefully I’ll be test driving each one over the next week or so to come to a decision.

TIA
Old 17 June 2005, 02:32 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't forget the BMW120D
Old 17 June 2005, 03:22 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I think a Skoda Octavia 2 will supprise you. Try it you might like it.

Skoda Fabia owner [ex M3 /VT5]
Old 17 June 2005, 04:49 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Out of the 5, I'd go for either the Golf or Audi A3. I've driven a Focus Diesel, and to be honest, I could have got out & run faster.
The VAG group cars have better status, and should hold value better. My mate has a Bora TDI 130. Would beat any Focus Diesel any day. Interiors are better in the Golf/A3 too. You can also get the A3 in Quattro format aswell.
As for the Vauxpoo............... poo is the word.

There's a thing....... a VW Bora TDI 130 sport. That's my recomendation.
Old 17 June 2005, 04:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Don't forget, you can get the VAG group Diesels chipped, to 150bhp
Old 17 June 2005, 05:25 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
There's a thing....... a VW Bora TDI 130 sport. That's my recomendation.
The Octavia 2 is based on the mk5 golf chasis, and is a much better ride than the aged bora [although a very good car].

Originally Posted by stilover
Don't forget, you can get the VAG group Diesels chipped, to 150bhp
There is more than VW and Audi in VAG btw - and as far as chipping goes, the Bora 130 can go to 180 and the Bora 150 can go to 190 on a remap. In addition the newer 2.0 TDI's are much more refined

Andy
Old 17 June 2005, 05:33 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

VW and Audi aren't that reliable, its a myth that they are still the most reliable cars you can buy, plus when they do break the dealers charge a fortune to repair them. If you want reliable go Japanese.

VW and Audi will have better residuals but if you are considering nearly new, don't discount the Citroen C4. I've seen them at 6 months old with £4k off new price. A 2.0HDi for £12,995, that's a lot of depreciating done already for you, plus the reliability is no better or worse than the VW/Audi pair at the moment, seeing as they are all new to the market.

The Focus if it follows its predecessor will be the most reliable car in its class! Strange but true. Depreciation is a headache, though if you look around they are out there for about the £13k mark for a used example.

I've looked at the VW/Audi's recently myself, and I just can't justify the additional costs myself. Yes they will depreciate slower in % terms, but they also cost £4-6k more for a new or similar age&mileage used car, the overall costs can't be that much different. Early Golf Mk5's sold for £18-19k are already below the £14k mark.

And even I can't make an argument for the Astra, overpriced pile of poo.

Myself I'd get the £13k C4, and try to keep the most money in my pocket.
Old 17 June 2005, 05:41 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

The Seat Leon FR is a decent diesel car and with a new model round the corner there are bound to be bargains around.
Old 17 June 2005, 05:48 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beefy
The Seat Leon FR is a decent diesel car and with a new model round the corner there are bound to be bargains around.
Only one problem with that, the Cupra and FR models are going to stay on sale until next summer, when their replacements arrive.
Old 20 June 2005, 09:48 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Slightly thrown by the response here ?

Originally Posted by Reffro
VW and Audi aren't that reliable, its a myth that they are still the most reliable cars you can buy, plus when they do break the dealers charge a fortune to repair them. If you want reliable go Japanese.
There is nothing you said that isn't already known.

VW and Audi will have better residuals but if you are considering nearly new, don't discount the Citroen C4. I've seen them at 6 months old with £4k off new price. A 2.0HDi for £12,995, that's a lot of depreciating done already for you, plus the reliability is no better or worse than the VW/Audi pair at the moment, seeing as they are all new to the market.
This has to be a joke. You are comparing VAG stuff to ****roen !?!? I would never own another ****roen as the cars are crap, manufacturer support is crap, dealer support is crap and they loose so much money that they cost more than all the rivals [ppm] !

I've looked at the VW/Audi's recently myself, and I just can't justify the additional costs myself. Yes they will depreciate slower in % terms, but they also cost £4-6k more for a new or similar age&mileage used car, the overall costs can't be that much different. Early Golf Mk5's sold for £18-19k are already below the £14k mark.
Auto Express - no. 848

PPM based on 36k / year.

£16000 ish diesel hatch:

Alfa 156 JTD lusso - £0.54 / mile
****roen C4 HDI VTR PLUS - £0.60 / mile
Golf 1.9 TDI Sport - £0.56 / mile.
Astra 1.7 CDI Design - £0.56 / mile

And even I can't make an argument for the Astra, overpriced pile of poo.

Myself I'd get the £13k C4, and try to keep the most money in my pocket.
I think you need to look again at the costs involved.

Good luck with your purchase

Andy
Old 20 June 2005, 10:03 AM
jackgilroy
Scooby Newbie

Auto Express - no. 848

PPM based on 36k / year.

£16000 ish diesel hatch:

thats based on paying the full list price, which you won't as citroen discount like hell.

As for reliabilty VW seem very poor now. I have a polo as a run around, it's 5 year old and has been the most unreliable car I have EVER bought. That inlcudes owning 2 x 205 gti, saxo vts, 309 gti mi16 etc. Will never buy a vw again
Old 20 June 2005, 10:14 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3

Auto Express - no. 848

PPM based on 36k / year.

£16000 ish diesel hatch:

I think you need to look again at the costs involved.

Good luck with your purchase

Andy
Well I had a look for the article from which you quoted these figures but OI can't find it in the issue you mention, can you give me the page number?

Regardless of that, I was talking about figures for nearly new cars, only a fool would buy new, particularly a Citroen, but as 6-month old nearly new buy with £3-4k off, they make much more sense, especially when compared to similar age/mileage/equipped Golf's and A3's. That £3-4k off the new price for the Citroen will easily offset the increased % depreciation, when compared to the Golf.

£13000 - 65% = £4550 = £8450 lost on a C4

£17000 - 50% = £8500 = £8500 lost on Golf

The amount you lose is the same, therefore my choice would be the keep the initial £4k difference in my pocket for a rainy day.
Old 20 June 2005, 10:53 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Well I had a look for the article from which you quoted these figures but OI can't find it in the issue you mention, can you give me the page number?
Pages 78 - 87. [new car price guides]

I can see what it is you are saying - but I have just bought 2 cars new:

Skoda Fabia vRS. I paid £11700 inc met and cruise. This was nearly £1000 of list. At that time (march 05) used cars (ex-demo's and such like) were up at the same money and 3 year old cars were over £10000. So I liked the idea of a warranty and AA cover etc etc - so I bought new.

Fiat Multipla Eleganza 1.9 JTD. With metallic is just over £17000. So I looked around, spoke to my dealer who said he will knock £2000 off if I buy today - blah blah. I then found a company who supply UK cars from UK dealers at a massive discount. So I could have a new car on my drive for £13500.

I looked around for the cheapest new / nearly new car and all of the up to 6 month old 54 plate cars were still £1000 more than I paid !!!

So often being on a mission to buy a 6 month old car is not necessarily the cheapest way to go - keep an open mind.

Once again good luck. And if you are determined to buy a ****roen I can recommend an internet company if you PM me.
Old 20 June 2005, 11:26 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Yep, the Skoda Fabia VRS is one that can be bought new. As you say the prices for used examples justify going for a new car.

The Fiat is another example of what I am saying about the C4. You could have bought a VW Touran for £17000 new, and it would depreciate a lot less than the Fiat in % terms. But you can get deals on the Fiat which negate the additional % depreciation the Fiat will certainly suffer.......
Old 20 June 2005, 11:43 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

It has been pointed out that the pence per mile i quoted on the Citroen is incorrect. The 60 is mpg not ppm. [oops]

As yet the Citroen has no ppm figures -

Andy
Old 20 June 2005, 11:47 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

The Fiat is another example of what I am saying about the C4. You could have bought a VW Touran for £17000 new, and it would depreciate a lot less than the Fiat in % terms. But you can get deals on the Fiat which negate the additional % depreciation the Fiat will certainly suffer.......
This is true, but it when choosing the Multipla it was down to the Seat configuration only. Only the Honda FRV has the same 3+3 seating arrangement, and with no diesel - and either the gutless 1.7 petrol or expensive 2.0 as alternatives we went for the cheaper and quite honestly better car in terms of design and practicality.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:29 PM
Leagro
Scooby Regular

OK, i didn't get a chance to look at any cars over the weekend.

Had a look at the write-up of the Skoda octavia, thankfully it is a little too big for what i want (looks more mondeo size than focus?). Try as i might, i just couldn't entertain buying a skoda. I know, it's not big or clever anymore as they're decent cards now . . . but i just can't (why didn't they re-badge skoda?)

Hopefully, I'll test drive a few soon & then narrow down the search. Then decided if i want to get new\nearly new & look at the depreciation figures as cold, hard cash (as pointed out already, i doubt i'll loose much more on the citroen than a golf\A3 due to the higher initial purchase price).

I would ideally like to get a japanese car, due to the reliability, etc but after looking around i just couldn't see a reasonable model. Maybe i'll hang on till the new look civic is out!!???