Clio 182s

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2005, 09:20 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clio 182s

1. Do they fall apart often?

2. Is the cup version worth finding over a 182 with the cup pack?

3. Are the standard brakes any good for track work?

4. Will I be happy with it in 6 months time or want another Impreza?

Steve
Old 18 June 2005, 09:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can give you an answer on 4

Well if it isnt still with the renault dealer, then you may actually enjoy it (and you think i jest!!)
Build quality sucks on all clio's, i think they need to put their farming money into cars

Tony
Old 18 June 2005, 09:34 PM
MeLLoN Stu
Scooby Newbie

lol

build quality is pretty suckass on the clio's, but thats to be expected with them being constructed entirely of camembert

great fun cars though the 182's. not been in a cup varient before but cant see it being a lot more different, in fact wasnt the cup just a lightened version?

wouldnt defect from a jap car to one unless it was for competition use, in which circumstances like wanting to do clio cups type events make them the only choice lol
Old 18 June 2005, 09:37 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

They don't suck that bad. It is just a bit of a lottery
Brakes are very good, better than the wrx brakes anyway. Most people just upgrade pads for repeated track use.
Given the choice I would have a 182 with a Cup pack as then you get all the goodies plus the tweaked handling.
These cars are sadists and are happiest when thrashed. Treat them nice and they start to fall apart
Old 18 June 2005, 10:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
better than the wrx brakes anyway
So is dragging my feet on my push bike

Dave
Old 18 June 2005, 10:13 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

If you're going to be buying it for track work I'd go for the 182 Trophy. There's one for sale at £13,400 on Autotrader.

It is a lottery re. build quality, I've had two(172's) the first one I rejected, the 2nd one was more or less faultless.
Old 18 June 2005, 10:14 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I haven't got a WRX

I need to run something that's a bit better on petrol but still fun. I've narrowed it down to a 182, DC2 Integra or a Ford Racing Puma.

Steve
Old 19 June 2005, 10:24 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

I used to own a 182. Build quality was fine, only took it back for a new headunit as the CD used to skip.

You have to have the cup suspension if you want any hope of getting a good price come resale.

Certainly prefered the 182 over the Cooper S - had one a few years earlier.
Old 19 June 2005, 10:32 AM
meganeport.net
Scooby Newbie

I had a 172, they do rattle but the chassis and engine more than make up for it. They are ridiculously fast (outpace a standard wrx no probs) Brakes are superb, I never experienced brake fade in 2 years of owning mine, but some people like to change the front pads to greenstuff or whatever.

Probably the best buy is a 2nd hand 172 cup, future classic for sure but no ABS if you definately want a 182 a powder blue 182 with both cup packs will be easiest to sell when it comes to it. Its debatable how much difference there is between the cup and non cup 182 probably just marketing which renault seem to be good at.

I have a megane 225 now, the new cup version or a trophy 225 might be worth looking at too
Old 19 June 2005, 10:33 AM
meganeport.net
Scooby Newbie

oh in answer to your last question It depends what scoob you have, one thing you will like is the 30 mpg you get even when you thrash it
Old 19 June 2005, 12:55 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I had a 172, they do rattle but the chassis and engine more than make up for it. They are ridiculously fast (outpace a standard wrx no probs) Brakes are superb, I never experienced brake fade in 2 years of owning mine, but some people like to change the front pads to greenstuff or whatever.

Probably the best buy is a 2nd hand 172 cup, future classic for sure but no ABS if you definately want a 182 a powder blue 182 with both cup packs will be easiest to sell when it comes to it. Its debatable how much difference there is between the cup and non cup 182 probably just marketing which renault seem to be good at.

Errrrrrr no.
Old 19 June 2005, 01:25 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

I have a mk1 172, step dad used to have an 03 wrx.

Drove them back to back and unless the driver of the WRX is a numpty it was definitly faster on some 0-70/80 starts and mid range it seemed to pull better.
Old 19 June 2005, 03:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a Mk II 172, and I couln't wait to get rid of it.

The build quality was rediculous, I had it back to the dealer to get the glovebox fitted properly. They couldn't do it. The dealers are a total bunch of w***kers. I got sick of being lied to. The handling for me, was that I thought they understeered too much. A 106GTI (the car I traded in for the 172) was a better handling car.
The Brakes I though were ok, but sustained use on my favorite road over the pennines, saw the pedel hit the floor, and me nearly hit a wall !!!!!! (The Focus RS I got after the Clio, never had brake fade. Just as a reference)
The cost of servicing is a joke aswell. Cheaper to service a BMW.

For me, I'd never buy another Renault again for as long as I live. That's after the bad experience I had with owning one.
The only up side, is like what Meganesport said. No matter how hard I thrashed it, it never went below 32mpg. (My Focus RS never got above 20, even driving like I was driving Miss Daisy).
Old 20 June 2005, 08:28 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Owned a 172 for 2.5 years and 25k miles. Nothing has gone wrong on it yet. And build has been just as good as 3 prev scoobs and P1 owned previously ie it rattles no more than any of them did.
Old 20 June 2005, 04:04 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

got a 182 at the min, just coming to 12months of ownership and could not be happier with it, a hell of a lot of car for 11k...

oh and fao cookstar, believe me standard wrx's are no problem at all... dont beleive manufacturers figures for second...
Old 20 June 2005, 04:07 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar

Errrrrrr no.

Errrrrr yes.

Although the build quality of my old 172 was sh!te and it squeaked and rattled like a 25 year old Metro I have to say that once it managed to get off the mark it was quicker than a UK WRX on most roads apart from perhaps the motorway.
Old 21 June 2005, 11:40 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep i'll agree with that !!
Old 21 June 2005, 12:07 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

My wife had a Clio 1.2 Dynamique. Not quite a 182 - but i lost £3000 [on a £9000 car] within 6 months. I sold it because of various faults. My wife was pregnant and the airbag light was on and off like neon under lights. The dealer said they can't see the car for 5 weeks !!! I said will the airbag randomly go off. Not sure he said, but i doubt it. Will you put that in writting i said - no he said. So the wife drove my 10 times more reliable unreliable ****roen saxo. I drove Clio and noticed the PAS reacted 0.5 seconds after you turned it. The brakes were over servo'd but **** - the glove box fell off, the car used to stall 30 times (every time it went to tick over) when cold. We rejected the car within 2000 miles, and the MD [Richard Lamb of Gordon Lambs] said the car is fine - live with it. We can buy it off you for market price though...........etc

£3000 lost - i would have lost £5000. I will not make the same mistake twice.

Either the LCR 225 or the CTR are the choice hatches. If you want cheap running get a Fabia vRS.

Andy
Old 21 June 2005, 12:37 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
1. Do they fall apart often?

2. Is the cup version worth finding over a 182 with the cup pack?

3. Are the standard brakes any good for track work?

4. Will I be happy with it in 6 months time or want another Impreza?

Steve
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
4. No - you will want another Impreza.

I had both, the renault forums and dealers are crap too !
Old 21 June 2005, 04:48 PM
LINX
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I say save the cash and get a GTI 6, cheap as chips, very very sweet handling and in the real world just as quick, or even a Rallye if you don't need ANY toys.....
Old 21 June 2005, 06:03 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

I recently traded my 172 Cup in for a CTR. The clutch went after 7000 miles then the saga of getting the dealer to repair the cocked up repairs they made when fitting the new clutch became too much hassle. I need a car that I can use and isnt in the dealers all the time.

The car was great fun, I hillclimbed it once and tracked it once and it withstood everything I could throw at it, including a grassy bank! Well actually half the car fell off from that but fortunately we managed to stick most of it back on using the original mixture of prittstick and balsa wood!

If youre happy to put up with the bits that fall off, and the dealers then go for it, they are an absolute bargain. Should be able to get a 172 Cup for 8k-ish easily with pretty low mileage (part ex on a 53 plate is now under 8k).

You will want another scooby probably but if you want some cheaper motoring then its not a bad option, provided you get a good example.