Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Alfa 147 GTA anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2005, 11:34 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa 147 GTA anyone?

opinions? one parked next to me in tesco tonight. sounded amazing and looked top dog in gunmetal grey. just done some research and the interior looks shat. they any good?
Old 06 July 2005, 11:49 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

interior looks shat? sounds like brilliant research to me... the interior is better than most jap cars i've been in!

Yes they look nice...sound nice...and lurvly inside (red dials, leather seats, bose sound system, sat nav...)! With an aftermarket exhaust they sound like a baby Ferrari would
Old 06 July 2005, 11:52 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

its just the dash looks lame like a ford ka. ive only seen pic's, prob better in the flash.
Old 07 July 2005, 07:51 AM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

I think everything about the GTA, in either 147 or 156 spec is great, until the driving experience starts, then it goes a little awry.

Give me an SZ any day
Old 07 July 2005, 03:36 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

anyone own one?
Old 07 July 2005, 05:06 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

I am looking at one at the minute as well, bit more insurance friendly than scooby/evo and they look mint. Only thing that puts me off them is the depreciation. I was looking at them around 6-7 months ago and most were around the 19k mark, it's possible to pick up a low miler for 16k now.
Old 07 July 2005, 06:00 PM
newby_to_the_scooby
Scooby Newbie

very unreliable and loose value quickly but do look mint that i do agree with we have one has a compony car in pearl white
Old 07 July 2005, 06:12 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

I had one on an extended test drive some time ago, they are nice inside and sound lovely, but i just could'nt help thinking it would fall apart after about two year's (i've had previous experience with Alfa/Fiat), there quite well specced as standard, but in the end i just could'nt live with the massive understeer and torque steer, and alway's wondering when/what was going to fall of it next. The depreciation will make you weep as well, and putting front tyre's on it every other week is no fun either. They do sound amazing though, if you do buy one, just leave it in second gear all the time, it'll make your spine tingle.
Old 09 July 2005, 06:10 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Poor old Alfa are still dogged by peoples out of date opinions about their reliabilty.

I had a 147 2.0TS for over two years and it never failed. Autocar had an article about a reliablity test done in Italy where they ran loads of mainstream hatchbacks for many hours on a test track. The 147 came top! OK, this was in Italy so there might have been some bias, but I think every new model Alfa bring out gets more and more reliable.

So I wouldn't worry about the reliability so much as the depreciation and that the GTA is meant to understeer around corners quite badly.

My advice would be to drive one thoroughly on as many different roads you can find and if you still want one buy second hand.
Old 10 July 2005, 09:37 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Echoing what DS66 says, if Alfa's are so unreliable, how come they p!ss all over Mercs AND Beemers in Top Gear/JD Power type owners surveys?

TBH I would imagine bits are gonna fall off one occasionally, bits fall off most cars, I would be a bit more concerned about fuel & tyre bills personally but me, I'd forgive a car if it murdered my granny, just for looking and sounding like that
Old 11 July 2005, 10:17 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Been in one for a very brief passenger ride.

Bloody hard suspension was the overwhelming memory. The owner said it was easily unsettled on bad roads.

Looks great, sounds great and has nice seats.
Old 11 July 2005, 11:26 AM
Jon B
Scooby Regular

Freind of mine has one who thinks it's great, but is selling it. I think he's only after 13-14k for it. I'll get some more info if anyone's interested.

Cheers
Jon
Old 11 July 2005, 02:25 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by DarkStar66
Poor old Alfa are still dogged by peoples out of date opinions about their reliabilty.

So I wouldn't worry about the reliability so much as the depreciation and that the GTA is meant to understeer around corners quite badly.

My advice would be to drive one thoroughly on as many different roads you can find and if you still want one buy second hand.
I don't know if the opinions are outdated. Evo did a test involving the GTA and it suffered an engine failure before the end IIRC. Don't people still complain about their reliability in JD Power? They do look and sound great, but 250bhp through the front wheels? No thanks! Maybe the depreciation is due in part to doubts over their robustness. It's certainly not throught lack of desirability.

NS04
Old 11 July 2005, 09:27 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

try www.alfaowner.com for more info...
Old 12 July 2005, 06:56 PM
stiggbert
Scooby Newbie

Used to have a 2.0 TS. (before the GTA came out) The interior is vey good IMHO. Go have a look at one. They don't come much worse than my classic.
Has a few problems with it but others I have spoken to did not have the same experience. Warnings - Dealers and service are sh*t. Find yourself a good independent. Don't go anywhere near a pothole or a rough road.
Dive it like an Italian and it will make you smile.
Old 14 July 2005, 03:46 PM
Smurftech
Scooby Regular

My cousins a mechanic at a Nissan/Mazda/Alfa combined dealer............he looks after the nissans but says more alfas come back for warranty repairs (inc. loads for new engines) than nissans/mazdas combined, yet they sell many more nissans/mazdas!

Lets just say none of the mechanics/workers drive alfas but lots drive nissans/mazdas!