Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

OK am I missing something 996 c4s vs turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2005, 10:47 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK am I missing something 996 c4s vs turbo?

Just had a "heated debate" with someone who to be honest I think was jealous

I haven't seen him in quite a while and dropped in to see how he's getting on, he's bought a 996 a c4s, sees my turbo and say's "you've got the same car as me but with a turbo on" at which time i say "not quite"

then ensues a well I could have had one if I wanted blah blah blah.

My question therefore is this :- if you could afford a 996 turbo WHY would anyone buy a c4s???

this goes to other models aswell...

if you could afford an Sti why buy a sport lets say???

i am to say the least bewildered by his statements, especially as he's then telling me how he's going to exhaust and chip his c4s

hawk
Old 09 July 2005, 10:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not driven either, but I can entirely see why someone would prefer a normally aspirated engine to a turbocharged one. Throttle response, linearity, balance, economy, exhaust note, maintenance, weight and thermal management are all possible factors.

Don't be bothered what other people think and enjoy your car You've got nothing to prove or defend.
Old 09 July 2005, 11:20 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Not driven either, but I can entirely see why someone would prefer a normally aspirated engine to a turbocharged one. Throttle response, linearity, balance, economy, exhaust note, maintenance, weight and thermal management are all possible factors.

Don't be bothered what other people think and enjoy your car You've got nothing to prove or defend.
hi john

i was just gobsmacked as to his attitude but it got me thinking IF and it's a big IF he was telling the truth why would he pick a lower model over a higher one, when i asked him why he just changed the subject.

wierd how as you get older you realise so called "friends" are not really friends at all just people you tend to talk to
Old 09 July 2005, 11:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Smacks of jelousy to me! You know you have 'issues' when you have a 911 and are still green eye'd over the guy with the model up ----- maybe he should go for a drive and note the beaters that 95% of the population drive (I'm including scoobys in that )
Old 10 July 2005, 12:34 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I'd be happy with either car!

I think it really depends on what you buy a car for, it would seem in his case its purely a status symbol and so thats why he got a little green eyed when you turned up in the turbo.

I don't have that problem, I'm happy if other people have nice cars, good on them for having good taste, the financial ability etc...
Old 10 July 2005, 02:21 PM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Seems like pure and simple jealousy. I'm sure the guy has never driven a turbo, or he wouldn't come out with that!

The turbo is in another league, you'd need your head examined if you could buy one, but didn't.

You did tell him it has a different engine didn't you?
Old 10 July 2005, 03:40 PM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is no good without pics, of the TURBO not the paltry C4s :-)

RAZ

Last edited by RAZ492; 10 July 2005 at 03:40 PM. Reason: dodgy spelling
Old 10 July 2005, 06:37 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

sounds like your being a little RUF with him
Old 10 July 2005, 06:41 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Yeah sounds like you RUFfled his feathers
Old 11 July 2005, 03:05 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think that's bad, I lost what I thought was a good mate as soon as I bought my UK MY98 because he became a massively jealous child, haven't spoken to him since, over a bloody car!

The C4S is an absolutely gorgeous car, I guess jealousy is relative.
Old 11 July 2005, 07:41 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

tis a sad world though hawk - funny how expensive things have a way of highlighting friends who aren't really friends

enjoy your car, it rocks, i would love to own it. i know after a while how you get used to things but you have an extremely nice car so just enjoy it for what it is and don't look back.
Old 11 July 2005, 08:58 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

No need to get heated, just stick to some very factual RMS information, nothing like catching up with an old acquaintance, and more of the friendly "so if you can afford a 996 c4s, and like the wide body look, why not just buy a turbo ?"
Old 12 July 2005, 09:26 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Other than looks, I'd choose my 996 C2 over the C4S.

1. The 996 does not need 4WD unless it's pushing out over 400bhp. I also think 4WD takes something away from the NA 996's, they just don't drive the same.
2. The C4S is the slowest 996 (heaviest, transmission losses.)

As for choosing one over a standard Turbo, let alone one breathed on by Ruf? your friend is on crack, surely?!

However, horses for courses bla bla bla....
Old 12 July 2005, 10:39 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I know that some people prefer the purer shape of the C4S compared to the TT - no side scoops and rear spoiler, and given that any 996 is more than adequately fast for our roads nowadays, I can see why some people may take a C4S in preference.

I'd still take the TT myself though...
Old 13 July 2005, 03:19 AM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

I have been told that the torsional rigidity of the 911Turbo and GT models is 27000Nm/deg of torsion. Which is very rigid. Probably about 25% more so than the C4S. I'll try to find the web-site I read that on.
Old 13 July 2005, 09:06 AM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
I have been told that the torsional rigidity of the 911Turbo and GT models is 27000Nm/deg of torsion. Which is very rigid. Probably about 25% more so than the C4S. I'll try to find the web-site I read that on.
excellent then I can throw that carrott at him aswell
Old 13 July 2005, 10:26 AM
DrunkenPikie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkthescoobslayer

wierd how as you get older you realise so called "friends" are not really friends at all just people you tend to talk to
Perhaps if you drop the "considerably richer than yow" attitude and develop a better attitude towards other peoples and races you might have some real friends.

On topic I'd take the turbo over the C4S anyday but I'm notone of the congnoscenti.
Old 13 July 2005, 01:18 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

My question therefore is this :- if you could afford a 996 turbo WHY would anyone buy a c4s???
hawk
Sorry, I agree with DrunkenPie and think this thread boils down to "considerably richer than yow" attitude. WHY would your friend HAVE to buy the turbo if he can afford it? He might not want the extra speed. Geez, just that someone has money; it doesn't mean they have to buy the best products within the category. If he doesn’t have the money then who cares! Money isn’t everything in life.

IMO - life is too short and it’s not worth fighting over something so trivial. Looking to get back at him with deg of torsion should be left in the kids play ground!. Come on! I thought the majority of people on here were sensible adults. Guess I’m being proven wrong.
Old 13 July 2005, 01:48 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
Sorry, I agree with DrunkenPie and think this thread boils down to "considerably richer than yow" attitude. WHY would your friend HAVE to buy the turbo if he can afford it? He might not want the extra speed. Geez, just that someone has money; it doesn't mean they have to buy the best products within the category. If he doesn’t have the money then who cares! Money isn’t everything in life.

IMO - life is too short and it’s not worth fighting over something so trivial. Looking to get back at him with deg of torsion should be left in the kids play ground!. Come on! I thought the majority of people on here were sensible adults. Guess I’m being proven wrong.
you missed my point he said he could have bought one but didnt then said he goes to exhaust and chip his current car. It just smacked of strange

drunkenpikie - your not worth the effort
Old 13 July 2005, 01:54 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I think perhaps you bring it on yourself Hawk?

Very much like your fastest point to point thread where you blow away a 360 modena and said you couldnt think of a quicker car.

Not many of us can afford a £100K and a ruf at that, well done. Maybe you should just try to be a little LESS conspicuous about the fact.
Either that or ask the same question on a Porsche forum.

Gary
Old 13 July 2005, 02:02 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Very much like your fastest point to point thread where you blow away a 360 modena and said you couldnt think of a quicker car.

Not many of us can afford a £100K and a ruf at that, well done. Maybe you should just try to be a little LESS conspicuous about the fact.

Gary
point taken

scoobynet seems not to be the place for me anymore, it's riddled with jealousy, sicko's, trolls and the genuine lovers of cars seem to have gone.

I have asked the question on a porsche forum and got far more mature and informed answers.

unfortunately I thought to ask it on scoobynet first, m mistake
Old 13 July 2005, 02:04 PM
DrunkenPikie
Scooby Regular

Gary
That wouldn't get him the attention he requires though would it?

If he financed the car he's a d1ck and unless he has more than 20 times it's value in freed up capital he's also a prize ***.

If I wanted to I could go and waste 100K or more on a car but what would be the point? To brag on some jap car site about what I've got? To drive the car in a country where you can't break the speed limit or even overtake without fear of losing your licence?

It seems to me that for some people it's about bragging rights and having the better toys than their acquaintances (not friends they haven't got any of those remember).

Let me hazard a wild guess that hawk also has an X5 somewhere in the family.
Old 13 July 2005, 02:06 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Doesn't mean we are not interested in your opinions and your car. I have seen a couple of Ruf's at the ring and as yet havent been impressed. Maybe they are all on cool down laps

Do some real stuff in your car, video it and post it up, then I will be more than interested.

Gary
Old 13 July 2005, 02:11 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrunkenPikie
If he financed the car he's a d1ck and unless he has more than 20 times it's value in freed up capital he's also a prize ***. .
don't call me a dick or prize *** then

If I wanted to I could go and waste 100K or more on a car but what would be the point? To brag on some jap car site about what I've got? To drive the car in a country where you can't break the speed limit or even overtake without fear of losing your licence? .
because i used to have a subaru and used to enjoy coming on this board until people like you came along
It seems to me that for some people it's about bragging rights and having the better toys than their acquaintances (not friends they haven't got any of those remember)..
whats to brag if I drive the car people will see i've got it, should I then not drive it or even have one.
Let me hazard a wild guess that hawk also has an X5 somewhere in the family
wrong but close a Range Rover
Old 13 July 2005, 02:12 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

Doesn't mean we are not interested in your opinions and your car. I have seen a couple of Ruf's at the ring and as yet havent been impressed. Maybe they are all on cool down laps

Do some real stuff in your car, video it and post it up, then I will be more than interested.

Gary
will do plans are already in place
Old 13 July 2005, 02:20 PM
DrunkenPikie
Scooby Regular

don't call me a dick or prize *** then
I seem to remember you saying you didn't have that amount of money in freed up capital some other time on the board and that you'd financed the car. Maybe you didn't and I'm thinking about someone else. I also said if you did then you were a prize ***, if you can ACTUALLY afford the RUF and it's mere pocket money to you then that's great isn't it? Shame you didn't bother reading what I actually wrote on this thread.

Get your videos up, stop posting BS about how everyone's jealous of you and how fast your car is. We already know what an RUF can do, the question is what can it do with you behind the wheel? Or are you just some *** who drives it around for the pose?

Doesn't surprise me you have a rangie, getting the sport model next are we?
Should look nice next to the Bentley Continental GT.
If you want to have a how a "how high can we **** against the wall" competition then **** off somewhere else.
Old 13 July 2005, 02:40 PM
hawkthescoobslayer
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember you saying you didn't have that amount of money in freed up capital some other time on the board and that you'd financed the car. Maybe you didn't and I'm thinking about someone else. I also said if you did then you were a prize ***, if you can ACTUALLY afford the RUF and it's mere pocket money to you then that's great isn't it? Shame you didn't bother reading what I actually wrote on this thread.

Get your videos up, stop posting BS about how everyone's jealous of you and how fast your car is. We already know what an RUF can do, the question is what can it do with you behind the wheel? Or are you just some *** who drives it around for the pose?

Doesn't surprise me you have a rangie, getting the sport model next are we?
Should look nice next to the Bentley Continental GT.
If you want to have a how a "how high can we **** against the wall" competition then **** off somewhere else.
never mentioned i'd financed it because I haven't so you must be thinking of someone else

If he financed the car he's a d1ck and unless he has more than 20 times it's value in freed up capital he's also a prize ***.
hence my comment about dick or prize *** maybe you should read your own posts.
Old 13 July 2005, 02:42 PM
DrunkenPikie
Scooby Regular

never mentioned i'd financed it because I haven't so you must be thinking of someone else

hence my comment about dick or prize *** maybe you should read your own posts.
IF is a very big word in the way it changes the meaning of a sentence you dumbass. Your money hasn't bought you much in the way of more brain power has it?
Old 13 July 2005, 02:44 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

you missed my point he said he could have bought one but didnt then said he goes to exhaust and chip his current car.
Point taken Don't get me wrong, you should be proud to show what you have achieved in life. Enjoy every moment of it. Who cares what over people think. It does sound like your friend has realised his mistake after seeing your car! But hey, there is no point in falling out over something trivial nor is there any point in putting more salt in the wound by quoting further differences between the two cars. If I was in a similar position, I would look to make up over a few beers.

Also, you shouldn't leave scoobynet because of some silly rantings. Anything I read on scoobynet is taken by a pinch of salt. Must admit, reading some of the ranting on here make my working day more fun!

It would also be good to hear about your stories in your car and even see some videos Makes a change from the flying insults in the other threads

Quick Reply: OK am I missing something 996 c4s vs turbo?