Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi A3 3.2 DSG...a good car?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2005, 10:48 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audi A3 3.2 DSG...a good car?

Saw one today at my local dealer, what's the general opinion on here of these?

Fully loaded with the s-line kit and options this ones a 30k car, 10 months old with 4k miles and it's up for 23k, which seems a reasonable price.

Wonder what it'll be worth in say 3 years time (the time I'd be keeping it for....will probably have around 22k miles on by then as I don't do many miles...)

A better buy for resale value than an STi??
Old 24 August 2005, 09:17 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got one and I'm quite happy with it. Before going for DSG, I borrowed a manual 3.2 for the day and both myself and the wife found it quite difficult to do smooth gear changes. I'm sure with time, you would learn to match the revs etc. but it did make my mind up.

As it's German, the build quality is good and the car feels solid. The brakes are phenomenal, but then you only need look inside the front wheels to work out why. After a WRX you will notice the lack of feedback, but you quickly get used to it, and it more than makes up for it in other area's.

Fuel wise, mine is knocking out an average of 24mpg, but on a run I get 31mpg with cruise set at 80. At 70 you'll be knocking on the door of 35, but I don't see the point in having a car like this if your at all bothered about mpg. 90 will return about 26mpg.

Value wise, the current figures IIRC are something like 48% of initial purchase price after 3 years.

Your exactly where I was about this time last year, and I was down to placing or order for an STi or the A3. My experience with the WRX made my mind up.

If your in the area, your welcome to come take a look/ride.
Old 24 August 2005, 09:31 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Yes. It is a good car.

A Ford Fiesta 1.1 is a bad car.
Old 24 August 2005, 09:57 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Yes. It is a good car.

A Ford Fiesta 1.1 is a bad car.
Depends what you buy a car to do? I've also got an 11year old Ashtray 1.4 which I drive up and down the M62 to Leeds and back, five days a week. That's also a fantastic car
Old 24 August 2005, 12:46 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

Previously had a TT 3.2 with DSG, DSG is great in traffic and on a lazy run but less fun on A/B roads. Launch control is a great gadget to amaze passengers at the lights. I think the DSG suits the 3.2 engine, which also makes a superb noise. There is also that certain quality feeling you get with an Audi. More WRX quick than STi stunning and still more than fast enough all the same. Less steering feedback than a Scoob, less tyre wear tho too.

I would say its an excellent car and if you are spending that kind of money its more to with personal taste. The new 3.2 Golf (4motion?) seems to be getting some good press too.