Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Car Prices

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2005, 05:21 PM
supna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Prices

What would you say is a reasonable amount of cash to haggle off a brand new car circa 8-10k mark? Outright cash sale btw.
Old 26 August 2005, 06:19 PM
fgn
Scooby Regular

look at what car or top gear target price as a starting point.

whats the car I will look it up.

FGN

Originally Posted by supna
What would you say is a reasonable amount of cash to haggle off a brand new car circa 8-10k mark? Outright cash sale btw.
Old 26 August 2005, 08:37 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Cash, discount ?? If you buy from the company I work for, you don't get one coz dealers don't make money out of cash deals.

Discounts are generally a myth - which car etc sell magazines by telling you that you can get huge discounts - the only way to get close to the "aim to pay" prices is to get a dodgy import.

If you haggle really hard and the sales person is desperate, you might get a couple of %.

Also, best time to haggle is the end of the month - you're more likely to get the non-existent discount.

my two cents

ewan
Old 27 August 2005, 01:50 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Check out www.drivethedeal.co.uk - they offer UK cars and even if you don't use them, its a handy bartering tool to take into your local dealer. It worked when I bought my Fabia vRS!
Old 28 August 2005, 11:48 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewanrw
Cash, discount ?? If you buy from the company I work for, you don't get one coz dealers don't make money out of cash deals.

Discounts are generally a myth - which car etc sell magazines by telling you that you can get huge discounts - the only way to get close to the "aim to pay" prices is to get a dodgy import.

If you haggle really hard and the sales person is desperate, you might get a couple of %.

Also, best time to haggle is the end of the month - you're more likely to get the non-existent discount.

my two cents

ewan
Dealers make less profit from cash sales as they always get a commission on the finance. But they always make a profit.

Discounts are certainly not a myth. They're readily available except for high in demand cars, you wouldn't get one on a X5 but you will on a XC90. Saying that try selling a 12 month old X5 back to a dealer and you'll find out about the depreciation that it suffers despite what the dealers say.

Dodgy imports? Oh please! Haven't you learnt anything about imports over the last ten years?

Back to the question regarding discount.

It all depends on what type of call you're buying?
Old 30 August 2005, 02:20 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Discount on price vs. lots of goodies thrown in for free....
Old 30 August 2005, 03:07 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Well in my experience you can get pretty close to What Car's target price especially if you play a few dealers off one another.

You can even ring What Car's advice line and they will put you intouch with a dealer or broker that can get you a UK car for near target price.

You will get £1000's off some cars and not a penny off others so all depends on what your after.

Cheers
Lee
Old 31 August 2005, 05:36 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

A dealer may claim he makes nothing on a given sale, and that maybe true.. but dealerships get bonuses on targets met etc.. and that can be a huge inducement for them to discount (when it suits them)