Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Pug 306 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 05:24 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pug 306 Handling

Can't seem to get on any of the Pug sites at the moment so wondered if anyone on here knows anything about the suspension on Pug 306s.

I have an S16 which has been lowered... a lot - and prior to a tyre change (tyres were literally bald) handling was awesome. Since the tyre change (Toyo Proxies) car has become really nervous and twitchy and feels like the back end wants to swap round, and despite having just changed the rear axle bearings (this weekend) on both sides, it's still pretty ars*e. The rear subframe mounts are fine too.

Anyone got any ideas as to the source of this new found problem??? Front bearings??, knackered shocks? Car feels awful at the moment and I'm getting upset as used to be SO good!!!

Cheers!
Old 01 September 2005, 07:08 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two 306's, a Rallye and currently got a GTi-6

How long have the new tyres been on the car? They do take a while to bed in, I've had it in the past where a car feels nervous on new rubber, just seems a coincidence that yours was fine with the old/bald tyres and is not right now.

Also, how do you know the rear beam mounts are ok!?

I changed them on my GTi-6 a few weeks ago, passed an MOT fine, but they were not so clever when I removed them. With the new ones it's really tightened up the handling again, rear end was loose before, now it's spot on.

Try www.306gti6.com for lots of 306 help, the closest to an S16 and a few S16 owners on there anyway.
Old 05 September 2005, 11:05 AM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rich D
I've had two 306's, a Rallye and currently got a GTi-6

How long have the new tyres been on the car? They do take a while to bed in, I've had it in the past where a car feels nervous on new rubber, just seems a coincidence that yours was fine with the old/bald tyres and is not right now.

Also, how do you know the rear beam mounts are ok!?

I changed them on my GTi-6 a few weeks ago, passed an MOT fine, but they were not so clever when I removed them. With the new ones it's really tightened up the handling again, rear end was loose before, now it's spot on.

Try www.306gti6.com for lots of 306 help, the closest to an S16 and a few S16 owners on there anyway.
Will do - Cheers!
Old 05 September 2005, 12:14 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which toyos did you get fitted? My mate has the new ones on his integra and hates them He put them on the front and all it does it plough on at every bend now. He's trying his best to kill them now
Old 05 September 2005, 12:42 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Which toyos did you get fitted? My mate has the new ones on his integra and hates them He put them on the front and all it does it plough on at every bend now. He's trying his best to kill them now
Think they are T1-Rs - Exactly the same as were previously on the car - but not bald...!

Have managed to access the pug forums I usually look at and think it could be front suspension - maybe track rod ends as tracking is off again (and haven't hit anything for a while now... ) or top moounts... (have had the front wishbone bushes changed last year).
Old 05 September 2005, 12:54 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried a geometery set-up? You have changed parts on the axle so it is easy to change alignment by a couple of degrees.
Kam
Old 05 September 2005, 02:19 PM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Have you tried a geometery set-up? You have changed parts on the axle so it is easy to change alignment by a couple of degrees.
Kam
I had the car laser aligned after changing the tyres - You can only adjust the front ones as it happens.

I'm starting to think it's track rod ends - there is a slight clunk when stationary and turngin the steering wheel slightly - so could be the universal joint onto the steering rack(?) (changed the power steering rack last year!)

Damn 10 year old French cars....

Cheers for advice!