Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

172- whats your verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2005, 07:20 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 172- whats your verdict?

hi fellas ive currently got a 172 and looking at selling and purchasing a 99/00 scooby uk spec. i have only once met a subaru and tbh there wasnt much in it. has anyone raced a 172 (1/4 mile or track or where ever) ? how did they compare? I know if i chip a subaru etc and get approx 260-270 bhp it would prob trounce a clio.

has anyone gone from clio to scooby or vice versa?
Old 11 October 2005, 07:27 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Opened a can of worms there mate. Once moving i dont think there's a lot in them unless it's wet of course

Gav..
Old 11 October 2005, 07:43 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Yep, can of worms, they are really two totally different cars mate, I've an 01 WRX PPP(maybe not as quick as the classic youre thinking of) and also a Clio 172 mk1, there is really not much in it, although I've run both at Santa Pod and the Clios best was 15.2 and the WRX 13.9, fair gap that.. both are a blast to drive..
Old 11 October 2005, 07:51 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
hi fellas ive currently got a 172 and looking at selling and purchasing a 99/00 scooby uk spec. i have only once met a subaru and tbh there wasnt much in it. has anyone raced a 172 (1/4 mile or track or where ever) ? how did they compare? I know if i chip a subaru etc and get approx 260-270 bhp it would prob trounce a clio.

has anyone gone from clio to scooby or vice versa?
I had a 182 chipped and gained on my mates MY02 WRX but i think remapped one might just do it. I've got a WRX now feels fast but hasn't got the wicked snap of the clio engine!!!
Old 11 October 2005, 09:40 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

i just dont want to feel dissapointed when i get one thats all! i know theres not that much in performance cars whether its clios, scoobies, civics etc unless u have silly bhp and torque etc. Just at the moment i have a lovely mk1 172 absolutely mint and if i sell it to get a scoob then think ...what was the point type thing?! I would be gutted!
Old 11 October 2005, 09:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You will be dissapointed the moment you race your other 172 mates from a rolling start and they hang onto your new scooby. But fear not my friend you can do what I did. Buy 1x MY99-00 classic shape scooby. Keep an eye on the for sale boards and ebay and buy:

1 x full decat exhaust for said classic shape scooby
1 x tek 2.5 remapped ecu
1 x boost gauge
1 x knocklink
1 x dawes boost controller

Now use the dawes as a boost control method and wind the boost up to a safe level minding that you don't overboost or get knock and hey presto you'll have around 275bhp and you will wipe the floor with 172s I 1/4er'd at 13.401 @ 103mph with that set up The best bit is you can then sell you 2nd hand purchases before you sell your scooby for pretty much what you bought them for so the performance is for free save for the fact you have some money locked up in them for a while.
Old 11 October 2005, 09:49 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

The mk1 Clio 172 is by far and away the best. Looks loads better than the new ones
Old 11 October 2005, 10:05 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

saxo boy, the ecu, is it just a replacement ecu? or does it require rolling roaded etc? how much are prices for the things u just mentioned? and fitting as i wouldnt fancy fitting guages etc
Old 11 October 2005, 10:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You'd pick up a full decat exhaust for £250-400 I'd say. The ecu for around £150-200. The tek 2.5 ecu is just a normal MY99-00 ecu that has already been flashed with a better fuelling/timing program. Mappers found when doing a full remap they seldom had to deviate from the tek 2.5 when mapping cars with standard turbo/intercooler and a full decat. Easy as hell to switch over from a stock to flashed ecu (under passenger footwell). A dawes you'd get for around £15 and the two gauges for as little as £80-100. As for fitting you'd surely find a greasemonkey that would do it for a crate of booze

Technically if you didn't get the dawes you could do away with the boost gauge/knocklink as with a decat and tek 2.5 the ecu should run around 1.1-1.2 bar all day long with no problems but for the money it is I'd want to be able to keep my eye on it and with those gauges and the dawes you can take boost control away from the ecu and take it a little bit further yourself.

The best bit is that mr insurance would have a tough time telling a flashed from a stock ecu.......if you get what I mean
Old 12 October 2005, 07:02 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

haha i like your thinking! so where could i get a tek 2 from then?
Old 12 October 2005, 08:10 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I would imagine they crop up on here still. You could still run all the other gear albeit you'd need to run lower boost until one came up. The difference between a standard classic and a decat/tek 2.5 classic is light night and day. Its less laggy for one, massively quicker in 1st and 2nd gears and hits 130mph in no time at all. Running that set up I came from behind to pass and clear by a few car lengths a 172 cup (a fast cup at that!) between 10 and 90mph.
Old 12 October 2005, 08:12 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

One thing I would say is don't underestimate the running costs of a scooby. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive to maintain and run than a 172/182.
Old 12 October 2005, 08:21 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Having driven both (260bhp scoob) and 172 cup, I'd stick with the 172 if fun is what you're after. 172 is more fun to drive. However the scoob will be more practical, better in wet, more comfy/space but lots more to run.
Old 12 October 2005, 08:35 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The 182 is slightly more powerful than the 172 but also slightly heavier. However it does have ABS which is a must for a road car in my opinion.

Steve
Old 12 October 2005, 08:54 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
The 182 is slightly more powerful than the 172 but also slightly heavier. However it does have ABS which is a must for a road car in my opinion.

Steve
Yes, but watch out for the clio abs.... it nearly topped me a few times in the 3 years I had a 172 - it sometimes can't handle it when the suspension isn't fully loaded up (eg a jump on the brakes immediately after hard acceleration, or a bumpy road) and it then comes in and increases your dry stopping distance by a factor of 2!

In all though, I wouldn't swap a clio for anything less than an STI as you will be disappointed once you factor in all the extra cash your spending. I had a few country lane runs against WRX's in the clio and failed to be impressed by them every time..... now my WR1 is a different matter - but then that cost (and continues to cost) a fair bit more than the clio
Old 12 October 2005, 08:58 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

A uk classic with 275bhp is STI quick but with the benefits of being a uk car, etc.
Old 12 October 2005, 09:07 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen

Steve
My old 02 Plate 172 had ABS & EBD ( Electronic Brake Distribution ) However there was some stability thingy that came in just after I had mine, can't remember what it was called though.
Old 12 October 2005, 02:03 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Sold my MY00 for a Clio Cup.

Worst mistake i made really. Sold the clio after 14 months, lost a rook of money too.

I would steer clear to be honest
Old 12 October 2005, 05:41 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
Sold my MY00 for a Clio Cup.

Worst mistake i made really. Sold the clio after 14 months, lost a rook of money too.

I would steer clear to be honest
lol you really didn’t get on with that Clio did you mate I loved mine and would buy another anyday
Old 12 October 2005, 06:27 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I would imagine they crop up on here still. You could still run all the other gear albeit you'd need to run lower boost until one came up. The difference between a standard classic and a decat/tek 2.5 classic is light night and day. Its less laggy for one, massively quicker in 1st and 2nd gears and hits 130mph in no time at all. Running that set up I came from behind to pass and clear by a few car lengths a 172 cup (a fast cup at that!) between 10 and 90mph.
Wouldn't have said my Cup was that fast back then (only had a R sport ECU), but there is no way your old 260 hp ish scooby would come past me now (filter,de-cat,exhaust fitted now) till silly silly speeds. My pals Cavy turbo 1/4 miles in 13.4@103 ish as well, he left me for dead off the line at Crail but on the road I can pull on him below 100 and sit side by side till silly speeds. I'd still say swap your 172 for a modded MY00 though, you thought about a STi?
Old 12 October 2005, 06:42 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't have said my Cup was that fast back then (only had a R sport ECU), but there is no way your old 260 hp ish scooby would come past me now (filter,de-cat,exhaust fitted now) till silly silly speeds. My pals Cavy turbo 1/4 miles in 13.4@103 ish as well, he left me for dead off the line at Crail but on the road I can pull on him below 100 and sit side by side till silly speeds. I'd still say swap your 172 for a modded MY00 though, you thought about a STi?
Why can I never post a word about a 172/182 or cup without you questioning it neil? I agree your cup is much faster now but the bottom line is that it was still faster than you average 172 even back then and based on your 1/4er mile terminals vs my scoobys 1/4er mile terminals I agree that I'd probably need to see some pretty hefty speeds before I'd pass you from a rolling start in my old scooby.
Old 12 October 2005, 06:57 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

Why can I never post a word about a 172/182 or cup without you questioning it neil? I agree your cup is much faster now but the bottom line is that it was still faster than you average 172 even back then and based on your 1/4er mile terminals vs my scoobys 1/4er mile terminals I agree that I'd probably need to see some pretty hefty speeds before I'd pass you from a rolling start in my old scooby.
I'd seriously doubt a 260 hp Classic would pass a Cup with similar mods to mine until 130+ even then I'd have my doubts. From a rolling a start I rekon i'd pull a car length or 2 till about 120 then it *might* start gaining. Thinking about it again i'd not swap your 172 for a MY00, go the full hogg and get a proper one, a STi :-)
Old 12 October 2005, 07:02 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

cant afford the insurance mate! im only 21, imports anre a no no unfortunately!lol
Old 16 October 2005, 03:27 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

I went from a 300bhp UK Classic almost straight into a Clio 172 Cup, albeit the girlfriends car (bought a few weeks after i sold the Impreza). I was surprised how well it drove and it certainly has the grin factor. I love the dry handling and since she bought it have always said that if i had the choice between her Clio and my UK Classic in standard PPP (240bhp) form i'd take the Clio 9 times out of 10. I'm not sure how much of that is still novelty right now but only time will tell on that front.

However, Kenny has basically been saying all along what i was going to say when i read your first post. You'll be disappointed with any non-STi UK Impreza until you start chucking the money at it. 275-300bhp is fairly achievable though and enough to make the Impreza an absolute hoot to drive. It will be expensive though and the mods always snowball. I noted my progress while tuning my car in the Projects forum if you fancy a read.

Frazer, are you talking about Dave Reid? On my second Cav Turbo at the moment, can't beat the old taxis.
Old 16 October 2005, 06:28 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

Now use the dawes as a boost control method and wind the boost up to a safe level minding that you don't overboost or get knock and hey presto you'll have around 275bhp and you will wipe the floor with 172s I 1/4er'd at 13.401 @ 103mph with that set up The best bit is you can then sell you 2nd hand purchases before you sell your scooby for pretty much what you bought them for so the performance is for free save for the fact you have some money locked up in them for a while.
alternatively you could cam your 172 and get a chip wizards remap and run 13.9-14.3 sec 1/4's at 100mph... which in real terms means on the road you'd pull away from it from a rolling/moving start... 13.4@103 is pretty poor really imo, that's with 4WD... 172 would be able to hit or just about get 100mph terminals in a FWD chassis from a stand. For the costs to run you'd be better off keeping your 172, the Scooby is a better car, but for the performance your only going to be satisfied with an STi or similar.
I held my pals Scoob off to silly speeds the other night, i was 3 up him on his own... he's now selling it and getting a Clio 16v with 2.0 and cams etc... he only likes going fast in straight lines by his own admitions, not really what the Scoobs about. The best fun you can have in them is in the wet, pointing it to the corner exit and just planting it... the grip wow's you.
Old 16 October 2005, 06:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Or he could get a nova from a scrappy and a 2.0T from a scrappy and drop it in at the weekend and leave both for dead! Or buy a £3k MR2 Turbo and spend £2k on it and blow the impreza and clio away. There are always faster cars and often cheaper.

The posters question was whether he'd be dissapointed making the change. I have advised that IMHO he will be if he gets a standard scooby but he's unlikely to be if he mods to 275bhp or buys an STI. Its really not a scooby vs clio straightline speed thread as if that is all the poster is after he is looking at two of the wrong cars and is on the wrong forum.
Old 16 October 2005, 07:20 PM
TheJesus
Scooby Regular

Or he could get a nova from a scrappy and a 2.0T from a scrappy and drop it in at the weekend and leave both for dead! Or buy a £3k MR2 Turbo and spend £2k on it and blow the impreza and clio away. There are always faster cars and often cheaper.

The posters question was whether he'd be dissapointed making the change. I have advised that IMHO he will be if he gets a standard scooby but he's unlikely to be if he mods to 275bhp or buys an STI. Its really not a scooby vs clio straightline speed thread as if that is all the poster is after he is looking at two of the wrong cars and is on the wrong forum.
Exactly, so i'm saying he will be disappointed if he gets one, I wouldn't buy another car that I had to then spend more money modding to make quicker than the current one, if speed was what i was bothered about. See you point on the 2.0T nova, but he already owns the clio, so would make more sense to just make it go quicker...
I'd keep my existing car and spend a smaller amount on it to make it quicker, as getting anything other than a top spec one will leave you wanting imo. I was considering getting an RA spec Scooby... still am, but after taking my car on track I realised that all these so called supercars are just reputation and straight line power, the Skyline R34, my all time favourite car and I was passing that and an R33 all day long... on the straights there was not enough extra to make me want to buy one... yes, they are quicker but once you see them on track and get a good run against one they dont leave you for dead as you would expect... massive disappointment for that :'(
So no, dont bother unless you are absolutely sure it's what you want... I'd rather have my Williams over ANY new Impreza and would only relegate it to a 2nd car for an RA, or P1 or similar...
Old 16 October 2005, 07:29 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheJesus
Exactly, so i'm saying he will be disappointed if he gets one, I wouldn't buy another car that I had to then spend more money modding to make quicker than the current one, if speed was what i was bothered about. See you point on the 2.0T nova, but he already owns the clio, so would make more sense to just make it go quicker...
I'd keep my existing car and spend a smaller amount on it to make it quicker, as getting anything other than a top spec one will leave you wanting imo. I was considering getting an RA spec Scooby... still am, but after taking my car on track I realised that all these so called supercars are just reputation and straight line power, the Skyline R34, my all time favourite car and I was passing that and an R33 all day long... on the straights there was not enough extra to make me want to buy one... yes, they are quicker but once you see them on track and get a good run against one they dont leave you for dead as you would expect... massive disappointment for that :'(
So no, dont bother unless you are absolutely sure it's what you want... I'd rather have my Williams over ANY new Impreza and would only relegate it to a 2nd car for an RA, or P1 or similar...
now i read it all, i knew you cliosport were 'a little bit optimistic' but to say you were passing a r34 all day and in the context that the guy was giving it some , then my friend you truly are very very dillusional. Perhaps the guy is just getting used to the car or maybe he dosn't want to stack it, but rest assured if it were being driven properly as i know a skyline can lap the ring in near under 8mins can your williams no and before you say it neither can my scooby, but then i not claiming my cars faster than a r34 round a track HAHA
Old 16 October 2005, 07:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Jesus, you are in for a bit of a let down in performance car terms. There just isn't as much of a difference between performance cars as you might hope. My scooby only lost a few car lengths from 20-90mph vs a Ferrari 360 Modena. Bottom line is that is pretty huge
Old 16 October 2005, 07:49 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

Jesus, you are in for a bit of a let down in performance car terms. There just isn't as much of a difference between performance cars as you might hope. My scooby only lost a few car lengths from 20-90mph vs a Ferrari 360 Modena. Bottom line is that is pretty huge
i'm glad you put that as something very similar happened to me against a 355 where as he was hardly pulling away at all up to 90mph the moral victor was me , cos had it been from a launch he would of had to really really gun it to come past , to do that to a car that is well called a super car made me chuffed

Quick Reply: 172- whats your verdict?