Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi RS4 v Forester STI

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 12:59 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audi RS4 v Forester STI

I'm thinking about either of these as my next car.

Both have 300+ bhp, cost £23,000 secondhand, are suitable for 2 children in the back and do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.

Costs will be similar I think: 20mpg, insurance group 20 etc. Perhaps depreciation on the Forester will be £4000 a year and the Audi £3000 a year, but I expect the servicing/tyres will be £1000 a year more on the Audi as it will be older.

That's what my head says. What about the heart? Has anyone driven both? And which is going to put a smile on my face to replace my Impreza STI 3?
Old 08 December 2005, 01:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a nice tough decision to make!

Audi probably a nicer environment and more tunable if you wish. Forester might be a nicer drive.
Old 08 December 2005, 01:45 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
That's a nice tough decision to make!

Audi probably a nicer environment and more tunable if you wish. Forester might be a nicer drive.
agree with that.
Old 08 December 2005, 01:50 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

RS4 will be condiderably faster as it kicks out 380hp. Much nicer interior to. £23000 for an RS4 it must be quite old?? Depreciation on the Audi will be miles less than for the Scoob. The audi has past the 3 year mark by some way probably so its depreciation will have tailed off a lot plus it is far more desirable. Audi servicing can be quite scary and i would imagine the RS4 will be really dear far more so than the forester. The forester will be nearly new for that money and therefore still have a good warranty left. Me personally i would go for the RS4 as they are lush. However the forester will give you more peace of mind and it is still fast as **** and probably more reliable as well. Tough choice you lucky beggar.
Old 08 December 2005, 02:32 PM
big MO
Scooby Regular

Ditto Andy's remark. Steering in the RS4 is wooly, but everything else is ballistic. Great Fun in a straight line over the Forrester but doesn't have it the twisties. Build quality is fair superior to the Forrester and will last for years to come. Engines will go for millenium but only if cared for (ie warming up and cooling down). If things do go pop, v expensive ova the Forrester.

Really is give and take. But then again who am I kidding when I chopped the P1 and the 330 vert in for an RS6 and I;m forever grinning. Twin turbos never sounded more erotic than before.
Old 08 December 2005, 04:17 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by big MO
Ditto Andy's remark. Steering in the RS4 is wooly, but everything else is ballistic. Great Fun in a straight line over the Forrester but doesn't have it the twisties. Build quality is fair superior to the Forrester and will last for years to come. Engines will go for millenium but only if cared for (ie warming up and cooling down). If things do go pop, v expensive ova the Forrester.

Really is give and take. But then again who am I kidding when I chopped the P1 and the 330 vert in for an RS6 and I;m forever grinning. Twin turbos never sounded more erotic than before.
RS6 you lucky b astard.

Maybe if i didnt keep changing my cars every year and finnancially crippling myself I might be close to affording one. Yea right.
Old 08 December 2005, 04:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Oh, quick question - are we talking about the old RS4, or the new one?

I'm guessing the old (don't think you can get the new one for 23k). If new, then the drive is nicer but it's almost untunable (no turbos) IIRC.
Old 08 December 2005, 08:41 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Oh, quick question - are we talking about the old RS4, or the new one?

I'm guessing the old (don't think you can get the new one for 23k). If new, then the drive is nicer but it's almost untunable (no turbos) IIRC.
LOL - new RS4 £50k......... older 2.7l Twin turbo £23-28k mark.
RS4 must be the logical choice....... had a test drive in one during the summer - its seriously fast

Just remember - RS4 and bendy wheels.... and that they will cost you at this age to maintain..
Old 08 December 2005, 09:37 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Having owned both, with the RS4 tuned to 440BHP it is still a very fast barge in a straight line with very good build quality. All RS4's now will be into their 5th year of warranty which will cost £1200 from the dealer, a 40K service involves a cam belt change which is circa £1,000. Don't get me wrong as I had 2 of them and would consider another in Imola yellow but be aware of the costs involved.
Onto the Forester STi we are expecting our 2nd next week and it is very hard to beat in every day driving situations with 330/330 as it is so understated. Sometimes it is easier to go faster in the Forester than our Type 25 which requires more input to achieve the same result, either way you won't be dissapointed.

Mog
Old 08 December 2005, 09:43 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
Having owned both, with the RS4 tuned to 440BHP it is still a very fast barge in a straight line with very good build quality. All RS4's now will be into their 5th year of warranty which will cost £1200 from the dealer, a 40K service involves a cam belt change which is circa £1,000. Don't get me wrong as I had 2 of them and would consider another in Imola yellow but be aware of the costs involved.
Onto the Forester STi we are expecting our 2nd next week and it is very hard to beat in every day driving situations with 330/330 as it is so understated. Sometimes it is easier to go faster in the Forester than our Type 25 which requires more input to achieve the same result, either way you won't be dissapointed.

Mog
Expecting 2nd Forester and the other cars a type 25, what do you do, bank robber LOL
Old 08 December 2005, 10:02 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
Expecting 2nd Forester and the other cars a type 25, what do you do, bank robber LOL
Just a humble plumber with a wife who likes cars probably more than me !!!!!!
Old 08 December 2005, 10:06 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
Just a humble plumber with a wife who likes cars probably more than me !!!!!!
Your a lucky man Mog, mind you my missus has got a year old Mini Cooper S and thats good fun. Not in your league though .
Old 09 December 2005, 10:57 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Mog, why have you had 2 of each???

Reminds me of the joke about the Irishman who gets three wishes from a leprechaun. His first is for a never-emptying bottle of Guinness. He receives this, takes a good swig, and says "That's great - I'll have another couple of these, thanks"
Old 10 December 2005, 10:02 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

perhaps he's referring to a 2nd child

Dan
Old 12 December 2005, 01:37 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks for the replies, but my mind is now made up - just got to decide when to change from two cars to one.

I visited Litchfield Imports on Saturday and drove their Forester STI. What can I say - a car that's as fast and as fun as an Impreza (if remapped to 320bhp), more spacious than a Discovery V8 and cheaper to run than either. And travelling that fast in an 'estate' car is hilarious.

The best thing though is the image - cooler than a Smeg fridge freezer. Mitsubishi will go to Evo 26 if they like but going from Impreza STI to Forester STI - that's true evolution.

As for the RS4, it's a nice car but at £23k for an 80,000 mile example it doesn't offer value and would just be too much to maintain. I don't need to drive one to know if the grass is greener - if your head and heart agree it's a done deal!
Old 12 December 2005, 02:35 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
Thanks for the replies, but my mind is now made up - just got to decide when to change from two cars to one.

I visited Litchfield Imports on Saturday and drove their Forester STI. What can I say - a car that's as fast and as fun as an Impreza (if remapped to 320bhp), more spacious than a Discovery V8 and cheaper to run than either. And travelling that fast in an 'estate' car is hilarious.

The best thing though is the image - cooler than a Smeg fridge freezer. Mitsubishi will go to Evo 26 if they like but going from Impreza STI to Forester STI - that's true evolution.

As for the RS4, it's a nice car but at £23k for an 80,000 mile example it doesn't offer value and would just be too much to maintain. I don't need to drive one to know if the grass is greener - if your head and heart agree it's a done deal!
Think you will be happy with it mate. Sat in a forester recently and the interior is miles better than my impreza, much better quality. Got a good review in the EVO car of the year to.