Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Get The Replacement For The Sti Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2005, 09:12 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Get The Replacement For The Sti Tomorrow

After what seems like an eternity my replacement for the STi should be ready for collecting tomorrow and i cant wait , i went to collect it on friday but my insurance sent out the cover note and the last digit of the registration was wrong so they couldn`t tax the car and we couldn`t get another cover note in time for the weekend but they done all the handover stuff etc, dangling a carrot in front of me and all that , but all good things come to those who wait and i get it tomorrow, it is a Mercedes E280Cdi Sport in Pearlite Grey with Black Leather,a completely different type of car from the scoob but what you want in your twenties you don`t want in your thirtys lol, in saying that its not an old man`s merc , its got 18"s, fancy sport brakes, paddle shift etc and should manage to pass by some of the petrol stations on my daily drive . Hopefully i will get some pictures up when i get it home.

Cheers
Old 18 December 2005, 09:37 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Nice car mate

The 280cdi is a new engine & is euro 4 compliant, get some pic up & we can do a my cars better than yours thread

Stephen
535d Tourer
Old 18 December 2005, 09:59 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

[i can see a LOT of people changing to diesels, its just the way to go..its madness runnin high power cars these days, really need to have a bit of money to do it properly..plenty of 200+bhp diesels with 300+ torque these days too
Old 18 December 2005, 10:39 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Bet you cant wait, over 220miles from half a tank in the Merc.... which is probably getting close to Petrol Light time in the STi.

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
plenty of 200+bhp diesels with 300+ torque these days too
Yes there is...

Cheers,
Grant

330d Cabrio (233bhp & 322lb/ft)
Old 20 December 2005, 03:29 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Nice car mate

The 280cdi is a new engine & is euro 4 compliant, get some pic up & we can do a my cars better than yours thread

Stephen
535d Tourer

lol , got the car on Monday and its an absolute joy, i am well chuffed, i took some photo`s today so hopefully will get them up asap.

cheers
Old 20 December 2005, 03:54 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
[i can see a LOT of people changing to diesels, its just the way to go..its madness runnin high power cars these days, really need to have a bit of money to do it properly..plenty of 200+bhp diesels with 300+ torque these days too
Yea there is but i sold it and got a scoob as even 220bhp diesels are not fast. I wouldnt say running high power cars is madness. Its fun and lifes a bit too short to be worrying about mpg to be honest. But hey, each to their own as ive had diesels before and i liked them but they are not fun cars by any stretch of the imagination. Fun isnt everything though it depends on your circumstances and what you need but in reality around town i still get 25 mpg in my scoob and my 220bhp / 320lb/ft remapped Audi diesel did not much better. Ive also been up againt my mates 238bhp 330d and even in a standard WRX he had no chance. Id still like another diesel mind but not at the expense of my scoob or whatever my next petrol car will be but it would be a good 2nd car or commute car. Someone else made a comment about needing a sensible car as hes in his 30's. Wait to you hit your 40's. Mid life crisis will kick in and you will end up in a TT convertible or something equally stupid.
Old 20 December 2005, 08:43 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Here`s a few photo`s of the car,

Old 20 December 2005, 09:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I was in the back of one of those this evening, very nice indeed. Does it have the ambient light things on the ceiling.
Old 20 December 2005, 11:36 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I was in the back of one of those this evening, very nice indeed. Does it have the ambient light things on the ceiling.
yes it does have the ambient lighting, it is very nice inside at night with all the lighting and the way the dash and centre console light up.
Old 21 December 2005, 08:29 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

What happened to the refurbishment of the shop ??

Did you spend all your pennies in the one toy shop ??
Old 21 December 2005, 02:19 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
What happened to the refurbishment of the shop ??

Did you spend all your pennies in the one toy shop ??
lol , i decided to put it off when the scoob was not drawing any immediate interest when it was for sale, i think i was looking for any reason to avoid spending that kind of money on anything other than a car , we`ll see what kind of christmas we have then look at it again, btw do you know our stk pies are amazing

Cheers
Old 22 December 2005, 02:28 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old man has a merc 220 cdi and to be honest it is bloody awful , to be fair it is a 2004 model so maybe things have improved , but mercs over the last 5-10 years have been cr*p , i wouldn't have one given to me !!!!
Old 23 December 2005, 01:23 AM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Thats a shame you think that but in their defence the 220 is seriously underpowered for the size of the car so its no real surprise that you dont rate it, especially if you drive a subaru, the new ones, i know this one anyway has the new v6 diesel engine with 7 speed tip auto and it is a fantastic machine to drive, i think the figures are something like 200bhp and 441lb ft so there is a fair bit of push, my mum has the 2003 270 cdi and the difference between hers and mine is significant, i have only had it a few days but it is really growing on me, it is comfy, quite, refined,econimical and to top it of fairly quick aswell, i really loved my subaru but i have a superb replacement.
Old 23 December 2005, 08:24 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aly Mac
Thats a shame you think that but in their defence the 220 is seriously underpowered for the size of the car so its no real surprise that you dont rate it, especially if you drive a subaru, the new ones, i know this one anyway has the new v6 diesel engine with 7 speed tip auto and it is a fantastic machine to drive, i think the figures are something like 200bhp and 441lb ft so there is a fair bit of push, my mum has the 2003 270 cdi and the difference between hers and mine is significant, i have only had it a few days but it is really growing on me, it is comfy, quite, refined,econimical and to top it of fairly quick aswell, i really loved my subaru but i have a superb replacement.
441lb/ft lol. Is it not the 280 diesel you have?? Not quite that figure im afraid. Probably in the region of 300lb/ft - 320lb/ft. Still torquey though. The power to weight ratio will probably be similar to the 220 C class diesel so it wont be any quicker.
Old 23 December 2005, 03:13 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

it is a Mercedes E280Cdi Sport in Pearlite Grey with Black Leather,a completely different type of car from the scoob but what you want in your twenties you don`t want in your thirtys lol, in saying that its not an old man`s merc , its got 18"s, fancy sport brakes, paddle shift etc and should manage to pass by some of the petrol stations on my daily drive
Nice car mate, but as for the above, I think you have it *** about face Most ppl are still dreaming of an sti in their 20s and might get one in their 30s, unless they have a really good job etc. So you in fact are a bit of an old fart getting a merc which lets face it, is for the guy in his 40-50's regardless of model
Old 23 December 2005, 03:55 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

btw do you know our stk pies are amazing

Cheers
So you keep on telling me
Old 23 December 2005, 04:41 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mate, it's nothing to do with the power and torque issues , it's just a very poor car , there is nothing at all i could say i like about it ! my dad has had mercs in the past amd apart from the 190e , awful , this is the worst merc he has had !
Old 23 December 2005, 10:19 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

[quote=sgcooby]441lb/ft lol. Is it not the 280 diesel you have?? Not quite that figure im afraid. Probably in the region of 300lb/ft - 320lb/ft.

, well seen it was late last night when i posted, just a little out with my figures there , must just feel like that

cheers
Old 23 December 2005, 10:23 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Nice car mate, but as for the above, I think you have it *** about face Most ppl are still dreaming of an sti in their 20s and might get one in their 30s, unless they have a really good job etc. So you in fact are a bit of an old fart getting a merc which lets face it, is for the guy in his 40-50's regardless of model
ouch !! do i come across as that old then , i may just be old before my time, i ordred the merc the week after my 30th

Old 24 December 2005, 09:36 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Don't these new Mercs lose a massive amount in depreciation ???

Kind of outweighs the saving in fuel you will be making...

I'd have bought a 2003 Jaguar S Type R or E39 M5 which has already had a depreciation hit and spunk the rest on fuel We are only on this planet for a visit remember...
Old 24 December 2005, 11:16 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
hi mate, it's nothing to do with the power and torque issues , it's just a very poor car , there is nothing at all i could say i like about it ! my dad has had mercs in the past amd apart from the 190e , awful , this is the worst merc he has had !
You think the 190E was awful, the 190E is one the best cars Mercs have ever produced. Massively over-engineered, capable of huge miles and still solid cars today.

I think you might be looking at the wrong things when you say its awful.

Aly Mac, the old in-line cdi lumps were a pig for fuel leaks. I would imagine they have sorted that out well and truly with the new V6, however its a bit early to tell. We had a E280cdi sport in the other day, black with black leather. It looked the ****, not so sure about Pearlite at the mo, may grow on me
Old 24 December 2005, 01:38 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

i cant believe this ,some guy has a fantastic new car and you guys say its crap ,i bet he wishes he didnt bother posting now .
Don't let these negative posts get to you ,it is a great car and in many many ways is far superior to any scooby.
Old 25 December 2005, 10:43 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

Yes its a fantastic Merc and I want one when Im older, say 60. Only 21 years to wait LOL!!
Old 26 December 2005, 11:01 AM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

Classy car mate!!! (I bought his old STI everyone!!!)

I bought Alaisdairs car last month and I am the same age as him - each to their own I say. I am sure you and your family are well chuffed and that is what counts!!! I am glad he sold anyway, otherwise, I would not have my nice STI8 TSL 333 up my drive (covered in mud and salt.......................)!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26 December 2005, 11:39 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mn_angrybeats
Don't these new Mercs lose a massive amount in depreciation ???

Kind of outweighs the saving in fuel you will be making...

I'd have bought a 2003 Jaguar S Type R or E39 M5 which has already had a depreciation hit and spunk the rest on fuel We are only on this planet for a visit remember...

I have no idea how it will depreciate but i am not overly concerned about it either, if i didn`t want to suffer depreciation i wouldn`t have bought a car, and remember as you said we are only here for a visit so enjoy while you can and all that

Last edited by Aly Mac; 26 December 2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 26 December 2005, 11:45 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie T
You think the 190E was awful, the 190E is one the best cars Mercs have ever produced. Massively over-engineered, capable of huge miles and still solid cars today.

I think you might be looking at the wrong things when you say its awful.

Aly Mac, the old in-line cdi lumps were a pig for fuel leaks. I would imagine they have sorted that out well and truly with the new V6, however its a bit early to tell. We had a E280cdi sport in the other day, black with black leather. It looked the ****, not so sure about Pearlite at the mo, may grow on me
Robbie, i get you on the colour, i was the same myself when i ordered it, i just didn`t want silver, nearly all mercs are silver but now i have it i know i made a good choice with the colour, it looks brilliant in the flesh.

Cheers
Old 26 December 2005, 11:46 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mg driver
i cant believe this ,some guy has a fantastic new car and you guys say its crap ,i bet he wishes he didnt bother posting now .
Don't let these negative posts get to you ,it is a great car and in many many ways is far superior to any scooby.

Old 26 December 2005, 11:47 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StephenPope
Classy car mate!!! (I bought his old STI everyone!!!)

I bought Alaisdairs car last month and I am the same age as him - each to their own I say. I am sure you and your family are well chuffed and that is what counts!!! I am glad he sold anyway, otherwise, I would not have my nice STI8 TSL 333 up my drive (covered in mud and salt.......................)!!!!!!!!!!!
How you gettin on Stephen, still enjoying the car ?

Merry Christmas btw
Old 27 December 2005, 12:21 PM
StephenPope
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

How you gettin on Stephen, still enjoying the car ?

Merry Christmas btw
Car is trully excellent thanks but I kerbed a f@cking alloy last night - those low profiles do not protect the rims!!!

Needs a wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!