Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Puma 1.7 vs Pug 106 gti

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2005, 08:42 PM
Needforspeed247
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puma 1.7 vs Pug 106 gti

Im looking at changing my car and its a toss up between the 2 above at the moment. Im only 19 so insurance is an issue and have a budget of about £4,000- what does every1 think betwen the 2 above and does ne1 have any other ideas?

cheers evry1
Old 20 December 2005, 08:48 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Taxi for thread!

save your 4 grand until you are 21 and buy a scoob in the meantime get a r19 16v loads of fun
Old 20 December 2005, 08:49 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Think this should be in Other Marques.

Anyway, don't bother with this slow crap. At 19 i had a golf VR6 and the insurance was reasonable, you can get a belter for £4000. They are fairly rapid with superb build quality, it never cost me a penny the whole time i had it apart from servicing costs.
Old 20 December 2005, 08:56 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

A friend used to own a 106gti. Very rapid for a 1600 and will trounce a puma. They handle superbly and if you get one with the leather/alcantara interior they are a very nice place to sit.

As for it being refered to as "slow crap".....a 106 gti will beat a vr6.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:02 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

I was gonna say get an Astra GSI 16v but the VR6 is a better car slightly, both good to drive though and fast.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL @ slow crap! My S2000 1/4ers in 13.7s @ 103mph (enough to match any UK scooby on a roll, inc sti's and not far behind sti ppps) - the other day I had a play with a 106 GTI and i certainly could not shift him with any degree of comfort! 106 GTIs are in short fast as f*ck for what they are. They would also hump a VR6 in both a straightline and through the twisties although admitedly the VR6 is an interesting choice for other reasons (build quality, image and v6)

Out of the two cars though I'd have to say its a no-brainer. The 106 is faster in a straightline and through the twisties and is more fun - all IMHO.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:19 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
LOL @ slow crap! My S2000 1/4ers in 13.7s @ 103mph (enough to match any UK scooby on a roll, inc sti's and not far behind sti ppps) - the other day I had a play with a 106 GTI and i certainly could not shift him with any degree of comfort! 106 GTIs are in short fast as f*ck for what they are. They would also hump a VR6 in both a straightline and through the twisties although admitedly the VR6 is an interesting choice for other reasons (build quality, image and v6)

Out of the two cars though I'd have to say its a no-brainer. The 106 is faster in a straightline and through the twisties and is more fun - all IMHO.
Intresting

When i owned an Astra GSI a mate of mine owned a 106 GTI and another owned a VR6.

The GSI and GTI where neck and neck off the start with the VR6 very slightley behind but as they approached 100mph the VR6 overtook them both at top end with the astra very slightly behind and the GTI trailing somewhat.

The GTI is good as a pocket rocket but it doesnt have it at top end and the VR6 is definatly better on the handling than the other two.

Incidently my mate still owns his VR6 he just cant bring himself to sell it.

Craig
Old 20 December 2005, 09:26 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

sorry but i think i have to defend vr6. my mate has a standard vr6 with a boot stuck to it ,and it pulls 150mph no problem , sure its a big sleeper but doesnt hang about.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Check your insurance out first before deciding on anything.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Very top end I'd agree the VR6 would likely be quicker but over a 1/4er mile or point-to-point between the corners you'd expect in your typical british twisty the GTI would be faster IMHO. My 406 V6 used to pass my mates VTS but it was a very long drawn process to get past and the speeds had to get silly to do it.

9999 - posts, dang: have to save the next one for something special so please nobody type something I want to respond to
Old 20 December 2005, 09:46 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

We have a 1.7 Pulma with Lux pack it's a great little car goes like stink sticks to the road like glue and cheap as chips to run Ford disk and pads £30 trade,try paying that for a peugeot
Old 20 December 2005, 09:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Puma is a great car the 1.7 with the lux pack ids the one to have.

Handling is impressive to say the least, will return 40 MPG if drive carefully and 30 if ragged.

Performance is not bad and brakes v. good.

We had one and put 60k on it without problems.

Never driven the pug so cannot compare.
Old 20 December 2005, 10:31 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Either the 106 or Puma is a great car to drive....and would see off a VR6 or Astra in the real world...ie roads that you don't know 100% and have corners and the like
Old 20 December 2005, 10:54 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

I'd get the 106, haven't imo got the chav image that comes with the VTS,(bit sterotypical but hey) and with a few sensible engine/chassis mods can be turned into a very nice car.

However if you can stretch to a Puma Racing, then Woah! get one of those, bouncing off the limiter in every gear, incredible roar and a great looking car aswell..
Old 20 December 2005, 10:54 PM
Heple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
Either the 106 or Puma is a great car to drive....and would see off a VR6 or Astra in the real world...ie roads that you don't know 100% and have corners and the like
Take it your talking from experience having drove all 4 cars
Old 20 December 2005, 11:02 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

surely you cant pass judgement on a car without driving- liveing with them for atleast a month.
Old 20 December 2005, 11:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Ive owned a 106 GTi and it was certainly fast enough for me. Also about a year ago I had a Auid TT 225 and tried to race my mate who owns my old Pug 106 Gti which was only lowered and had a magnex exhaust, and the pug was quicker in a straight line and was better at taking corners.
Old 20 December 2005, 11:04 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Not sure what the **** the VR6 has got to do with anything

106 and Puma are both great cars - i'd struggle with that choice to be honest, HTH

J

P.S. Have a look at the Fiesta Zetec S as well

Last edited by JTaylor; 20 December 2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 20 December 2005, 11:11 PM
rexabusa
Scooby Regular

what about crx vtev, you are well within budget and they tick all the right boxes, just got crap back seats
Old 21 December 2005, 10:15 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Not sure what the **** the VR6 has got to do with anything
Its a better car than the other two. You wouldnt see the other two topping 140 mph and staying together as well as the golf, coupled together with the noise of that glorious V6.
I don't like french cars generally because i like good build quality (my scoob is the exception ) and i couldn't live with the puma because it's a bit gay really
Old 21 December 2005, 10:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

French cars rule my friend

I could never live with the "boy band haircut" image of a Golf, all the ten bob millionaires have the new shape GTI's round here
Old 21 December 2005, 11:45 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
French cars rule my friend

I could never live with the "boy band haircut" image of a Golf, all the ten bob millionaires have the new shape GTI's round here
Boy band haircut image??? Thats a new one. Ive never owned any of the cars but have been in a heavily modded 106gti and it was very quick. Pushing out about 150bhp but felt like i needed a bag for my head as i felt like a boy racer. I would go for the Vr6. Who cares which is a tiny wee bit faster. You get so much more car for the money, a nice big V6 against a piddly 1.6 4cyl toy. No contest. IMO.
Old 21 December 2005, 11:49 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Puma is a great car the 1.7 with the lux pack ids the one to have.

Handling is impressive to say the least, will return 40 MPG if drive carefully and 30 if ragged.

Performance is not bad and brakes v. good.

We had one and put 60k on it without problems.

Never driven the pug so cannot compare.
Puma, as long as you're not tall (over 6ft- its very cramped)!!

Go for a test drive and if its in good shape, you'll know that ford got it bang on with this car's set up within about 100 yards!!! I think they've yet to better it!

Will be interesting to drive the new Focus ST though.

NS04
Old 21 December 2005, 12:19 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

There is no contest, the Puma 1.7 is the far better (although not as fast) car.

Steering/handling/gearchange are superb . Much better driving position as well.

Yes, the 106 will beat it in a straight line. But that doesn't really matter.

The Puma is better built too.

If you can find a good one, however, got for a Racing puma. Not that fast, but sensational handling.
Old 21 December 2005, 12:34 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

If you can find a Racing Puma for around 4k let me know

On a serious note, and at risk of repeating myself, strongly consider the Fiesta Zetec S.
Old 21 December 2005, 12:55 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Yes, but at 19 with a strict budget to buy and run the Golf, IMO, isnt an option..... The Golf is a Group 16/17 whereas the Puma and 106GTi are Group 12 and 14 respectively.

Was allowed to take a Puma 1.7 out for a solo test-drive about 4 years ago, found some very nice backroads and was blown away with its capability and feeling it gave me.. Same day, I took a Fiesta Zetec-S out on my own, made my way to the same stretch of country roads and IMO, was equally as good as the Puma had been... lacked a bit of grunt coming out of corners, but its c20bhp down on the Puma as standard.

A friend owned a 106 GTi with just a backbox and panel filter, he took me out for a blast in it and I can report that its a scream, proper little go-kart for the road IMO..

Sure, the Golf will top 140, but who actually does that enough to justify buying one over a more fun, cheaper to run, ?better looking? car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 December 2005, 01:15 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Yes, but at 19 with a strict budget to buy and run the Golf, IMO, isnt an option..... The Golf is a Group 16/17 whereas the Puma and 106GTi are Group 12 and 14 respectively.

Was allowed to take a Puma 1.7 out for a solo test-drive about 4 years ago, found some very nice backroads and was blown away with its capability and feeling it gave me.. Same day, I took a Fiesta Zetec-S out on my own, made my way to the same stretch of country roads and IMO, was equally as good as the Puma had been... lacked a bit of grunt coming out of corners, but its c20bhp down on the Puma as standard.

A friend owned a 106 GTi with just a backbox and panel filter, he took me out for a blast in it and I can report that its a scream, proper little go-kart for the road IMO..

Sure, the Golf will top 140, but who actually does that enough to justify buying one over a more fun, cheaper to run, ?better looking? car.

Cheers,
Grant
Good summary. I owned a Zetec - S (1.6) and have driven a number of Pumas and the 1.7 Puma engine is sweeter. However, a £250 superchip brought mine upto 125bhp and there wasn't much in it when driven back to back with my Mums Puma. The Zetec S is effectively a 1.6 Puma with a fiesta body.

I agree with Diablo about the Fords feeling better built and the 'box and brakes are much better - but I really love the way the GTI goes.

For cheap, no thrills Pug fun you may also wish to consider the Rallye (1.6 or 1.3). I owned the 1.3 and it was brilliant, hardcore fun, although no where near the Fords in terms of build, comfort etc.

Dare I say it, there's always the Saxo VTS option as well.
Old 21 December 2005, 02:01 PM
DavidChief
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the 106 but the Puma is a superb car to drive. Really involving and great fun.
Old 21 December 2005, 02:43 PM
dogboy1
Scooby Regular

I used to own a pug 106 gti (x reg ) and have had my VTs from new ( its an 02 plate.)

My best m8 has a 1.7 puma...

Having driven all of the above i can honestly say that you won't be dissapointed with any of them. The puma is a lovely car and feels very well built, the pug 106 gti and the VTs are basically the same car.The only difference is the cabin, and that all comes down to choice really. I think the seats in the pug are more supportive and look nicer but as i say there is very little difference. The best vfm will defo be the VTs ...with your budget you will be able to pick up an 01/51 mint Vts. Beware it is group 14 though so insurance might be expensive ( i'm 28 and mines £315 fully comp with protected no claims with a company called Adrian Flux.)

To summerise they are all great cars, handle like they are on rails and massive fun, for that money you won't find anything else which will make you smile as much...(apart from a night in Prague/amsterdam LOL.)

DOg.
Old 21 December 2005, 04:53 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Never driven a 106gti but had a 1.7 Puma when they first came out and loved the car. Great handling, steering and gear change was superb.

Quick Reply: Puma 1.7 vs Pug 106 gti