Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Integra Type R, new & Old--Opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2005, 10:14 AM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra Type R, new & Old--Opinions..

No real reason i want to know, just before i got my scooby, i was 100% fixed on the old versions, and was very close to getting one, but since i've got my impreza now which is leagues ahead in performance, i have never had the chance to drive one,what are people veiws on these cars,especially the older versions? and maybe what there like to the newer versions?

Sorry for the boring thread, but im v.bored
Old 21 December 2005, 10:52 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stiver3
No real reason i want to know, just before i got my scooby, i was 100% fixed on the old versions, and was very close to getting one, but since i've got my impreza now which is leagues ahead in performance, i have never had the chance to drive one,what are people veiws on these cars,especially the older versions? and maybe what there like to the newer versions?

Sorry for the boring thread, but im v.bored
I haven't driven either! But the DC5 is a massively better looking car for me, really quite fancy one of those. DC2 was a slightly pikey-looking vehicle imo.
Old 21 December 2005, 10:56 AM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

I have a scoob and a dc2 integra type r, so i believe i can be impartial. It is true that your sti is a lot more powerful. The tegs are reasonable fast cars but what i think sets them out from the crowd, is balance. The balance between performance, handling, steering and braking is amazing. Considering the power output of the DC2(189BHP), it shouldnt be that fast. But what is looses in outright grunt, it makes up for in handling and braking. I've driven loads of scoobs, and while they may have more power, its only the 05 sti with DCCD that comes convincingly close (out of the box) when it comes to satisfying feel, adjustablility, braking and steering feedback.
You can improve the handling and feedback of scoobs(and i have) but only because i wanted to bring it closer to the dc2.
The dc5 is a more grown up version of the Dc2, it is better looking, quieter and more powerful. However some say it has lost something, me personally i thought it was OK but when you consider the price and insurance costs, a new age STI is a much better choice.

ste h
Old 21 December 2005, 10:58 AM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
I haven't driven either! But the DC5 is a massively better looking car for me, really quite fancy one of those. DC2 was a slightly pikey-looking vehicle imo.
True, the dc2 is not a looker! But the overall driving(fast) experience is hugely satisfying.

ste h
Old 21 December 2005, 01:33 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
pikey?? how do u figure that out? this is my old 98 spec black type r which at the time was very rare and got great attention and was one of my fav cars!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 21 December 2005, 01:58 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

.... but since i've got my impreza now which is leagues ahead in performance, i have never had the chance to drive one,.

leagues ahead? Unless its a serious Sti RA type wotsit I wouldn't say its "leagues" ahead personally. Point to point you'd have to work hard to lose a 'teg imho.

As others have said, they are great motors for their size, definitely punching above their weight, and giving a great driving experience. I'd suggest you get a go in one but that would probably leave you a bit cold - it takes a while to really get into how these things drive ime, once you're there tho its fab!

I've had this one nearly two years now and its only now I'm even tempted by rear wheel drive again, and yet I might still keep this car till next year such is the enjoyment I get from driving it.

Thoroughly recommended.
Old 21 December 2005, 02:03 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
pikey?? how do u figure that out? this is my old 98 spec black type r which at the time was very rare and got great attention and was one of my fav cars!
[IMG][/IMG]
Well I did say it was my opinion. I think the DC5s look great, but the DC2s were a bit boyracerish in my view... being rare or turning heads doesn't come in to it. The popemobile ticks those boxes after all, but it's still not a pretty car.

DC2 Tegs are supposed to be great cars, but not my cup of tea, especially in white.
Old 21 December 2005, 03:06 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

One of my mates has a fresh DC5 from Japan, looks stunning and he says its a joy to drive we haven't done any testing head to head yet, but i could be tempted by a DC5
Old 21 December 2005, 03:13 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I do like them both and I've been close to a DC2 twice, choosing a MY01 WRX and then a Clio Cup over the Honda. I do fancy a DC5 but they do seem a bit overpriced.

Steve
Old 21 December 2005, 03:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Lad on another forum I frequent has jsut imported a DC2 from Japan and to his door its cost £4,500. He needs to get it MOTd and registered but thats not going to be loads. Plus its first registration is 01/96 so it misses SVA (apparently)
Old 21 December 2005, 03:46 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've had a JDM WRX 96MY since 1998. Then in 2003 we got a DC5 02MY to replace the wife's Peugeot 1.9 GTI. So i have plenty of experience of driving both on the road and on track at Knockhill.

The WRX is decatted so probably has getting on for 300 bhp. The DC5 has 220 BHP. So on paper the WRX should be much quicker. It isn't. The transmission losses are much greater on the WRX. On the road the WRX is quicker off the mark and has much more mid range grunt for overtaking.
On track the DC5 is a fair bit quicker. You can keep the engine in VTEC all the time. This comes in at 6000rpm and the rev limiter on mine comes in at just below 9000rpm. In that respect it is mental. It handles better. You can carry much more speed through the bends. I would guess 15 mph for any given corner. It stops better

It is also a practical car to own. It has 4 seats and a big boot or with the back seats down a massive load space. It is relatively cheap to service. It does 30+mph and being a Honda it is unlikely to go wrong. I should imagine the residual values are better. There aren't that many of them. I got ours for £15,500 2 years ago. I should imagine I could sell it for £12,000 if I wanted to, which I don't.

Compared to the older DC2 I reckon there is not that much difference in performance. At least that is my experience on track. The DC5 is a much more civilised drive and looks better.

To sum up I enjoy both the WRX and the DC5. Both do some things better than the other, but both are great cars and great value.
Old 21 December 2005, 04:27 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlesW
I've had a JDM WRX 96MY since 1998. Then in 2003 we got a DC5 02MY to replace the wife's Peugeot 1.9 GTI. So i have plenty of experience of driving both on the road and on track at Knockhill.

The WRX is decatted so probably has getting on for 300 bhp. The DC5 has 220 BHP. So on paper the WRX should be much quicker. It isn't. The transmission losses are much greater on the WRX. On the road the WRX is quicker off the mark and has much more mid range grunt for overtaking.
On track the DC5 is a fair bit quicker. You can keep the engine in VTEC all the time. This comes in at 6000rpm and the rev limiter on mine comes in at just below 9000rpm. In that respect it is mental. It handles better. You can carry much more speed through the bends. I would guess 15 mph for any given corner. It stops better

It is also a practical car to own. It has 4 seats and a big boot or with the back seats down a massive load space. It is relatively cheap to service. It does 30+mph and being a Honda it is unlikely to go wrong. I should imagine the residual values are better. There aren't that many of them. I got ours for £15,500 2 years ago. I should imagine I could sell it for £12,000 if I wanted to, which I don't.

Compared to the older DC2 I reckon there is not that much difference in performance. At least that is my experience on track. The DC5 is a much more civilised drive and looks better.

To sum up I enjoy both the WRX and the DC5. Both do some things better than the other, but both are great cars and great value.
yup, u only realise how good the brakes are on honda type r's when u hop into a scoob, the ones on my 98 teg were great and the DC5 has brembos!
Old 21 December 2005, 08:04 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Interesting feedback, nice to hear everyones veiws!

;Reason i said it was leagues ahead was because i own a sti3, which when in standard from are 60 in 4.6(pub talk i know) and mine isnt that standard, i think it would be ahead, but hey never had the pleasure of driving a teg' so i shouldnt really comment!

Interesting to see someone had said the DC5 had lost something over the previous type r', do they still feel the same as the old one, or are they a little more tame?
Old 21 December 2005, 10:40 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

;Reason i said it was leagues ahead was because i own a sti3, which when in standard from are 60 in 4.6(pub talk i know) and mine isnt that standard, i think it would be ahead, but hey never had the pleasure of driving a teg' so i shouldnt really comment!

Interesting to see someone had said the DC5 had lost something over the previous type r', do they still feel the same as the old one, or are they a little more tame?
probably a little more refined plus the DC5 is that extra bit heavier, they look the business tho!
Old 21 December 2005, 10:43 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

You can't compare the 0-60 times of these cars as you have to be carefull when putting the power down as you will get wheel spin/hop, whereas in the scooby or Evo you have full traction, however once the teg is moving or kept in the 'zone' I think it's a match for the turbo cars.

I had an EVO6, then went to a DC2 to a Sti Type RA V-ltd and now have a DC5.

I just prefer the natural driver enjoyment of the Integra's, it's not all about outright speed, you have to have driving pleasure and the 4 wheel drives cars just didn't do it for me.

The DC2 was more finley balanced than the DC5, a little more plyable, more raw, lower slung. The DC5 is the better all rounder, has better low down torque due to the iVTEC, and top end feels stronger, build quality is also better in the newer car.

I've had my DC5 for a year now and i do not want ot part with it, that says a lot as I usually change my car every 6-9 months. In fact, I have just purchsed a Toda exhaust, Toda manifold, GruppeM induction kit, Tein Coilovers. I'll then re-map with K-pro and bring on the track days'
Old 22 December 2005, 07:59 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I had a P1 and had 2 ITR's (DC-2's) ....... its been said before - the P1 had awesome power and good handling, but IMHO there was nothing to touch the balance of the ITR and for me it was more involving a drive - the P1 was too 'easy' to drive fast.

Anyway - time moves on and I enjoy my C4S a lot more than both
Old 22 December 2005, 08:04 PM
marcus.s
Scooby Regular

Are the DC2s OK trackday cars? If so are there any particular advantages with one MY over another??
Old 22 December 2005, 08:07 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcus.s
Are the DC2s OK trackday cars? If so are there any particular advantages with one MY over another??
DC2's are excellent track cars........ I don't know of any MY 'issues' - usual rules apply the gearbox syncro's can be weak, but generally as long as they have been kept topped up with oil, had Honda Service History they are pretty bulletproof....
Old 23 December 2005, 08:29 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marcus.s
Are the DC2s OK trackday cars?
Um, they were meant to be trackday cars, Honda intended them to be capable of track use "out of the box" as it were.

I've had my standard ITR out a few times and apart from needing uprated brake pads its been superb fun

Just make sure you use RE010s or a similar stiff sidewalled tyre imho, normal sporty tyres simply aren't stiff enough to give the car the precision the steering begs for...

http://www.evoposters.net/carpics2/B...f/DSCF7920.jpg - (pardon the copyright infringement)