Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Legacy/Accord/Passat/Avensis/6

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2005, 09:06 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legacy/Accord/Passat/Avensis/6

Thinking of replacing the wife's 9-5 with an estate version of one of the above. Anyone with any experience of the relative merits of these? We'll be buying new and going for either a 2 litre petrol or a turbo diesel version.

I have a preference for Subarus and she would probably favour an Outback but we'll be trying them all out first. Performance is not critical but space (two kids + holiday luggage) and a good ride/handling compromise are important. We want to get away from the Saab which totally sacrifices handling for a good ride.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 25 December 2005, 10:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do Subaru do diesels yet?

Don't think the Avensis is rated for handling.
Old 26 December 2005, 01:03 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Not yet but I think that there is one in the pipeline. If we go for the Legacy it will obviously have to be a petrol model.

Reliability is the single most important thing to us - hence the list above. 5 years with a Saab does that to you!!!!
I was reluctant to include the VW on the list but the new Passat seems to be good and most of the major problems that friends have had with VWs are limited to the 1.8T engine.

Last edited by SimonD; 26 December 2005 at 01:07 AM.
Old 26 December 2005, 09:10 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

You'll get reliability with a Legacy, low depreciation and good dealers you won't.

The new 9-5 looks very odd, no doubt well built and reliable.

A4 Avant has to be the way imo.
Old 26 December 2005, 10:13 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Our old 9-5 is the most unreliable car we have ever owned and as the new one is just a facelift I don't see why that would have changed. Depreciation is also about as bad as it gets too.

I think that true reliability only comes from Japan. The Audis are lovely but too expensive for what they are. The details are great but I have never understood why anyone would buy an A4 over a Passat.
.... now the RS4/RS6 are another matter but when you are sticking two toddlers in the back you don't want to care too much about how it looks inside.
Old 26 December 2005, 11:42 AM
m-pwr
Scooby Regular

The passat is a great car, fairly cheap and the build quality is superb. Very roomy also. We have a 2.0 passat sport and it feels underpowered.

If you do go for a passat i'd suggest the tdi 130 engine - economical, faster to sixty than the 2.0 petrol and diesels also depreciate less.

Hope that helps