Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Revised Meganesport 225

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2006, 10:09 AM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revised Meganesport 225

Dont want to start another which hot hatch thread , but Im planning to test the Focus ST, VXR, GTi etc in a few months.

Is it worth including the revised Renaultsport Megane 225 in the list. They now get leather, climate, MP3 player, metallic plus other stuff as standard and you can get one for £14899 OTR (plus £500 for Cup mods) , or £14249 for the cheaper Cup spec from:

http://www.buymynewcar.co.uk/search_results.asp

I know they allegedly rattle, fall apart and depreciate like s**t, but we had a 1.9dci a couple of years ago, and while a bit plasticy was fine, and at the price above the depreciation should be offset a little.

I think they look good in black, especially with the anthracite cup wheels:

http://www.zen95391.zen.co.uk/F1/pubmrs2.jpg

Any opinions from people who have experience of them?

Last edited by MarkWRX; 04 March 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04 March 2006, 10:21 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Old 04 March 2006, 11:18 AM
rob878
Scooby Regular

I have a megane 225 04 plate. It's been a great car to drive, however it has had more than it's fair share of niggly problems. In saying that the engine is good, the turbo starts to pull from 2-2.5k and the power comes in quite linearly. I did have a look at the focus st at xmas, it has to be said that the st engine does sound a lot better, but it does drink petrol a bit more than the megane. The bonus with the megane is that you get cruise control where as the focus doesn't, a small thing but i have actually found it fairly useful on long trips. Plus the to get all the bits i would want on the Focus i would have had to buy the st3 and i would have to take a serious look at the finances to justify it.

In saying all that, i'm off to buy a beemer 330ci, lord knows how i will live with myself, but i'm looking forward to hopefully not having my car in the garage every other month.

A good site for infomation is www.meganesport.net my cars the inferno with the 2 new door handles wing mirrors, boiled brakes and 4 new injectors and coil packs.
Old 04 March 2006, 12:35 PM
MarkWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Thanks

Also, Ive got an Audi at the moment so its a bit of a culture shock in the interior department..
Old 04 March 2006, 12:55 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Yes it would be, mine came with orange seat belts orange stitching and more rattles than a kindergarten. other than that the styling is good (well i like it) and apparenty the new soft touch materials they are using make it look and feel bit better.

To be honest your not going to see that many of them, They are reasonably quick, insurance is stupidly cheap compared to the competition. Try one and see if you like it
Old 05 March 2006, 12:34 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

I had one for a few hours last year and loved it. There was an annoying rattle even then, but it just pulled really well, noticibly better than my 172 at higher speeds.

The dealer even gave me a tenner to whack some more petrol in it whilst caning it about
Old 05 March 2006, 09:30 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

I have a 225 with remap its a fecking flyer even stevens with a scoob sti when your rolling, some have had rattle probs but mine is fine, bult a lot better than my old 172 for sure (that DID rattle) check out www.meganesport.net if you buy a 225 from buymynewcar.co.ukm you get free lifetime membership to meganesport too
Old 06 March 2006, 11:02 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

My mum had one, and liked it better than the clio 182 with cup package that she had - a more refined drive, not quite as ***** out all the time. Must be more of a granny's car then (a joke, for the humour impaired)

Rattles seem to be the norm, but she had no problems with reliability. She's chopped it in for a mini cooper s convertible now which she loves to bits...

I'd say give it a try, for sure: it's a rare beast compared to the others which has got to be good, and it's a *lot* of car for that sort of money!