Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

rx7

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2006, 03:42 PM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx7

I'm going to be selling my subaru next month once she's got a new mot on her then i'm going to be after an gen3 rx7 as i've wanted 1 now for a long long time.

Anybody got 1 or had 1 that can give me any good advice?
also whats the difference between all the models i.e type-R and type-x bathurst edition etc..

whats the going rate for them at the moment as i hard people are having a hard time selling them on?

And if u got any pics..get them up!
Old 13 June 2006, 07:28 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

All models are the same, so it doesn't really matter whether it's an R, an RS or whatever. Minor details change between them, but the engine & suspension don't

There are a lot of sheds out there (cheap imports from Japan, and unloved cars already in the UK) and buyers look at the prices on ebay/autotrader and then expect to get a decent one for the same price - hence the nice examples stay on the market for a while wait for a genuine enthusiast to buy one.

Fuel consumption is bad, even when compared to a scoob. Engines are frail (may see 50k out of a standard one) and don't like being tuned (give good power, but not necessarily for very long).

Old 13 June 2006, 09:39 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Ive always wanted one of these but its the engine troubles that you hear of that put me off
Old 13 June 2006, 09:52 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

not engine trouble just worn rotary tips "they all do it sir"
Old 13 June 2006, 09:57 PM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

...and experts for the engine are few. Though this should get better with the RX-8 out now for some time.
Old 13 June 2006, 10:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Revised engine in the RX8 has solved a lot of the problems experienced with the RX7. My advice would be to go and visit the Mazda Rotary Club and for expert advice on buying and servicing, speak to RoTechniks - no one in the UK knows more about rotary engines than these guys.
Old 13 June 2006, 10:54 PM
DBMSCOOBY99
Scooby Regular

I changed from a Scooby to a RX7 in Feb. The Scooby was an excellent car but after 3 years of impreza ownership I fancied a change. I went for a UK car that had been rebuilt 2500 miles ago at a cost of £8000-9000. I paid £9500 which is quite expensive for a 1995 FD, But Mazda only made 120 odd Uk cars so they are rare and you do pay a premium for one. The Uk cars are a little bit down on power compared to the Jap imports thanks to the pre-cat which the Imports don't have. This is an easy thing to change and the decat downpipes aren't expensive, after that you'll be at early import power figures which is around 255bhp.

Defiantly go for the best you can afford as you will only pay in the long run. As people have said a lot of ropey jap imports have been coming into the UK the past couple of years which is driving the price down on the good cars that are about. Have a good look on the Mazda Rotary Club forum before you go and have a look at one. As you really don't want to buy a dog.

I much prefer the handling in the FD compared to the old Scooby. They are brilliantly balanced cars (50/50 weight dist) and a lot more commutative than the Impreza in the corners. But they do bite you in the **** if you over cook it. They don't give the same kick in the back as the Scooby, but that's mostly down to the power delivery being a lot smoother thanks to the Twin Turbo setup. The RX7 just keeps on accelerating to stupid speed thanks to the nice aerodynamic body. MPG is shocking if you give the it a bit of the loud pedal, but you can get 24MPG on a 80 Mph motorway cruise. Town driving is very bad for your MPG's

I would say go for it if you want one. The engines can be weak if not looked after. But the same can be said for the Scooby engine. Rebuilds on rotarys isn't that expensive. It doesn't need to be anyware near as expensive as the one done on my car. Mine had everything replaced or reconditioned on the engine. Typical rebuilds should be £1500-3000 but that all depends on what failed. If it drops a tip then it will be more likely to cost £3000+ But if the water seal goes you looking at £1500+. Then again there is a good video box set that shows you step by step how to rebuild your rotary. Which will save you loads if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

If you want to ask anything else just ask.

Last edited by DBMSCOOBY99; 13 June 2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 14 June 2006, 11:19 AM
moo
Scooby Regular

Fantastic cars, I sold my 97 Scoob and bought mine almost a year and a half ago. Sign onto www.mazdarotaryclub.com for loads of info, advice and pics.

There are a few differences between the various models. Type R's have firmer suspension and twin oil coolers, Type X's have one oil cooler, leather interior, softer suspension, sunroof and cruise control. The UK models are similar to the Type X but have 2 cats. There are other models such as the RS, RS-R, RZ, Bathurst & Spirit R which have various options ranging from no rear seats to different diff ratios.

If looked after you shouldn't have any trouble. And if you're not mechanically minded you soon will be! I always used to take my cars to garages and tuners to have work done but it's not difficult to change oil (every 3000 miles), plugs (every 6000 miles) and filters yourself.

All the info is on the MRC forum. Also check out http://www.fduk.org/forum/ but you need to login before you can view anything.

Last edited by moo; 14 June 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 14 June 2006, 11:31 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

wicked cars.........

I'm really tempted to go for one myself as two of my mates have some single turbo conversion'd ones that are pushing 600bhp.......
but they're no fun in the wet......so I think i'll stick to AWD for a bit......

Hey moo, how's it going?
did you go to rotorstock??
Old 14 June 2006, 11:59 AM
moo
Scooby Regular

Yeah i was there with Dre, Laeeq and others. Was at Ace last week as well. Saw your Scoob with the new graphics, looking good.
Old 14 June 2006, 12:10 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Oh right!!

did we speak?
Old 14 June 2006, 12:17 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

No we didn't. I saw you pull in then we went to get something to drink. Watched the burnout and donut nutters for a bit but didn't see you again.

You've been tempted to get one for a while now, dont let rwd stop you!
Old 14 June 2006, 12:29 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I know......i'm still really tempted but i've done so much with the scoob now, i'm just kinda of in limbo....

I planned to get summer out of the way and then see over winter....as i'll either stick the 2.5 conversion in with all the trimmings or i'll go rex......
Old 14 June 2006, 12:54 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

Got to admit that if I had your car I would probably keep it. Most Rex's are getting on a bit now and your car looks and sounds very well sorted.
Old 14 June 2006, 12:56 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Well thanks very much for the comments.
It's all coming together finally now but it's nice to get +itive comments instead of jealous ones
Old 14 June 2006, 12:58 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

What Moo said Tripple, it's looking good, just needs more oomph
Old 14 June 2006, 02:28 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, it'll get plenty of that

i'll be back infront of you before long....

anyway, back on point.....rex's are great cars...lots of power to be had
(and lots of engines to go through )
Old 14 June 2006, 05:15 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r5 gtt
....then i'm going to be after an gen3 rx7 as i've wanted 1 now for a long long time.

Just for info, my mate has a TypeR in black that he'll be selling on soon (once his Supra TT is back on the road fwiw) - pm me if you want a shout nearer the time?

I have to agree with the fanboys here too, having driven it, they don't "feel" quick by my god they handle well and you'll find yourself doing highly illegal speeds down A roads without even realising it. I'd imagine. I was tempted to buy this one from my mate but I don't realistically think I have the income to cover the possible running costs. Wonderful machines though.
Old 14 June 2006, 06:31 PM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys thanks for all the helpful replies!
Before i owned my scoob i had a rather powerful renault 5 gt turbo, that had me working on it for hours on end so i'm used to getting my hands dirty so if the dreaded did happen i'd probably be tempted to have a go myself with the right advice etc..
All i have to do now is sell the scoob and get some money again..(anyone interested in a my99 uk subaru in silver with a few light mods? will be for sale start of next month)

Evobarry i'll be in touch about your mates as i would like a nice black 1.
Old 14 June 2006, 09:52 PM
n3 wrc
Scooby Regular

lush cars !!

mate has just finished building an cossie powered RX7 !!

rotary engines arnt the strongest and have **** torque !
Old 14 June 2006, 09:57 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by n3 wrc
lush cars !!

mate has just finished building an cossie powered RX7 !!

rotary engines arnt the strongest and have **** torque !
Got any pictures of it? I'd love to see that
Old 15 June 2006, 10:51 AM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

haha, **** torque, are you mental?! The shove from the first turbo alone is enough to see off most cars in my mates TypeR efini, let alone the second stage top end... It's near as damnit as quick as his Supra TT (UK).
Old 18 June 2006, 06:24 PM
r5 gtt
Scooby Regular

what are they like bodywork wise and for rust etc as some are getting old now and i'm not gonna be able to afford a newer reg.
Old 19 June 2006, 04:32 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

I have not yet seen a 3rd gen RX7 with rust, the only bodywork issue you'll encounter will be stonechips on the front bumper. And it might be an idea to get it undersealed.