Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Selling a car on ebay??

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2006, 07:21 PM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a car on ebay??

The time has come to get rid of my beloved mini, and i was wondering if any of you guys had sold a car on ebay??? If so was it easy enough or did you get any grief??

Help appreciated
Old 19 July 2006, 07:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Never sold a car but sold lots of fork lifts through my company.
You do get alot of jokers, so be prepared to receive offers a lot lower than what you are expecting.
As long as you have a realistic price in mind, things should go smoothly.
Old 19 July 2006, 08:54 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

i would suggest making it very clear that the car is for sale in the UK only...

also put in that bidders with less than 5 feedback will have their bid removed unless they e-mail you a landline phone number...

also make sure you include the words "sold as seen, no warranty given or implied"

might be worth saying "car advertised locally and i reserve the right to end the auction early"

start the bidding fairly low (it will attract more interest) and put a reserve on if necessary... don't panic if you don't get many bids early on, most auctions get bid on in the closing few minutes...

HTH
Old 20 July 2006, 12:15 AM
Elton John
Scooby Regular

Getting a mate to start the bidding off can help too
Old 20 July 2006, 07:18 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Problem with eBay is that people think they're going to get a bargin and make unrealistic offers, plus you'll get the e-mails, do you want to swap my **** car for yours......NO now **** off!

Good luck.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:48 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

dont expect to sell on ebay, but its good cheap advertisement for deal outside ebay at £6 for 10 days.
Old 20 July 2006, 12:23 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Try to encourage people to view the car before hand or at least when they pick it up get them to inspect it properly. Had issues with People bidding without looking/asking questions then picking the silly little fault with it after taking it away.
Old 20 July 2006, 08:40 PM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

thank you all, well its on now so lets just see what happens!!!!

Lets hope all goes well
Old 20 July 2006, 09:41 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

Location: Be who you are and say what you feel. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

can we have a link please
Old 21 July 2006, 11:05 AM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

I sold my BMW E30 325i Sport on ebay without any problems. It cost me a grand total of 15p in fees!

I listed it in the spares catagory for a start price of 2750gbp, I then set it as preferred bidders only (no one could bid unless I put them on the list), in the description I said if you want the car email me to discuss. The 2nd person who emailed me was v.interested, came down to view, bought it there and then in cash for slightly less than the auction price. The auction was still running at this point so I changed the auction start price to 1p then ended the auction without a winner at 1p. Total cost to me 15p.
Old 21 July 2006, 11:13 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by movi-star
I sold my BMW E30 325i Sport on ebay without any problems. It cost me a grand total of 15p in fees!

I listed it in the spares catagory for a start price of 2750gbp, I then set it as preferred bidders only (no one could bid unless I put them on the list), in the description I said if you want the car email me to discuss. The 2nd person who emailed me was v.interested, came down to view, bought it there and then in cash for slightly less than the auction price. The auction was still running at this point so I changed the auction start price to 1p then ended the auction without a winner at 1p. Total cost to me 15p.
Nice touch, i must remember that !
Old 21 July 2006, 11:21 AM
EP82
Scooby Regular

I just use it as an advertising tool, i always add that unless you come and view the car i will not accept bids.

Anyone who travels to see a car usually has cash and will settle it out of ebay
Old 21 July 2006, 12:29 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sold my old wrx on e bay indirectly, ended up with loads of dumb questions/px offers and the winning bid was someone with -1 feedback so ended up ending the auction earlier. Luckily someone had seen my number and rang up,ended up selling it to him for £50 less than asking price
Old 21 July 2006, 07:21 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sunflowerkiss
The time has come to get rid of my beloved mini, and i was wondering if any of you guys had sold a car on ebay??? If so was it easy enough or did you get any grief??

Help appreciated

Sold a £1k pug 106 on there.....tried selling an m3 and an S3 on there and an UTTER waste of time...loads of stupid emails, people dont read the ad and ask you Qs youve already answered, even the people who came to view were complete muppets...I will NEVER EVER use ebay again for a car of any value.....autotrader gets results fast without half as many idiots.
Old 22 July 2006, 02:47 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Sold my Audi almost a year ago on ebay for £15,000. People do expect to pay less when bidding on ebay so dont be surprised if you get loads of unrealistic offers. The best advice i can give though is if 'CARDATA' call you tell them they are tossers and hang up immediately. Make sure you advertise it fairly i.e if its got a couple of minor dents etc then make people aware of this as it will save them walking away from deal at a later stage. I offered to deliver my car which i did do in the end. Obviously make sure you get a deposit big enough to cover your travel costs first though but it will help sell your car as it was essential for me to do this to sell mine and I had to travel from Aberdeen to Luton to deliver it but whats a couple of hundred quid in train fares when i got the price i wanted. Good luck.
Old 29 July 2006, 08:19 PM
Miss Kinky
Scooby Regular

SFK did it sell?
Old 30 July 2006, 07:45 AM
sunflowerkiss
Scooby Regular

Had to end the auction in the last few hours as i realised it was in the wrong section and i was scared on how much the fvf would be.

Took it out for a quick drive yesterday and now dont want to sell it again!!!!!

But I must so gonna try ebay again, will post the link.
Old 02 August 2006, 10:53 AM
shustir
Scooby Regular

Have listed cars on Ebay and on Autotrader, have had more success selling on Ebay, cars priced anything up to £30,000. There is a lot of muppets about but it is worth putting up with as all it takes is 1 serious buyer and you're sorted, costs a fraction of Autotrader prices aswell if you settle outside Ebay.