Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Which diesel?? Ibiza Cupra or Fab vRS??

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2006, 08:22 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which diesel?? Ibiza Cupra or Fab vRS??

Sold the Scoob today, so I'm looking for my next car. The wife has a Fabia vRS, and am so close to buying one...but wondering what the Ibiza Cupra is really like?

I realise the Ibiza is more powerful, bigger brakes etc, but what about economy? The plan is to majorly remap with new I/C and turbo - so will there be much difference?

The Ibiza interior looks a bit crap, though...
Old 23 July 2006, 09:17 AM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

with a vRS already in the family you'll know all about it, have you had a good test drive in the cupra?

they're more or less the same car/engine anyway so it may come down to driving preference or which dealer can be haggled the lowest.

i've a vRS (downgraded from MY00 turbo) and am pretty pleased with it as a "normal" car.

i'd have another but probably go for the cupra/vRS combo rather than have 2 fabias at the same time, just for the variety.

cheers matt
Old 23 July 2006, 09:21 AM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the Ibiza cupra TDI is grou 16 insurance!
Old 23 July 2006, 09:27 AM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

the Ibiza 1.9 TDI PD FR is a closer to the fabia in price/insur./performance.

i think the cupra TDI is £15k+ the FR £13ish and the vRS £12ish.
Old 23 July 2006, 09:36 AM
Rabid
BANNED

The Skabia will have better residual values if past history is anything to go on. Economy is going to be similar on both models, well into the 50's on a cruise.

Don't expect it to be a rocket ship though, remap or not.

I was followed off Eurotunnel last week by two englishmen in a black magic VRs who I think had some idea of out accelerating me on to the autoroute. They were so slow I think it was a bit humiliating for them. Certainly they didn't seem able to believe it until it was repeated at the peage booth.

They may feel nippy around town but they run out of puff and ideas very quickly indeed.
Old 23 July 2006, 05:05 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The Ibiza Cupra diesel, is a lot faster than the Fabia vRS, as I unfortunately found out. I own a standard vRS and at Santa Pod had a standard Cupra drive right past me after I murdered him off the line. I've seen a Cupra run 14.6 @96mph with nothing more than a remap, though that had it up to 200hp. If you plan to tune the car, the Cupra also has uprated internals as standard, including forged rods and pistons. The Fabia will need a lot more work to get to 200hp, including a front mount IC, uprated turbo and exhaust, the Ibiza has these as standard. But the Cupra is £3k more....
Old 24 July 2006, 08:07 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I'm going to look at a brand new Cupra today for £14k...but its in yellow (probably the only shape which looks good in yellow). I've seen Fabias up at £11k including metallic...
Old 24 July 2006, 08:10 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
Don't expect it to be a rocket ship though, remap or not.
Mate, to me a standard one feels like a rocket ship - I've just sold my 271bhp newage and I swear there wasn't a lot in it at legal speeds...
Old 24 July 2006, 08:16 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I'm going to look at a brand new Cupra today for £14k...but its in yellow (probably the only shape which looks good in yellow). I've seen Fabias up at £11k including metallic...
Does this shape not look good in yellow?......

Dave
Old 24 July 2006, 08:18 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

NO
Old 24 July 2006, 10:25 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Cupra version has brembo's and FMIC and has different internal componenets ! IIRC

Also 200hp and 350lb/ft is achievable which results in blob eye STI midrange performance. Not bad for an oil burner !

Last edited by Andy M3; 24 July 2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 24 July 2006, 12:00 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Cupra version has brembo's and FMIC and has different internal componenets ! IIRC

Also 200hp and 350lb/ft is achievable which results in blob eye STI midrange performance. Not bad for an oil burner !
In a very narrow band between 40-85mph which I guess might be good enough for some people.
Old 24 July 2006, 12:17 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

In a very narrow band between 40-85mph which I guess might be good enough for some people.
I am not saying it is an alternatice to a Subaru - but for what it is, your can't grumble too much. [and i would argue 40-100 ]
Old 24 July 2006, 12:29 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Yeah most people call that narrow band the midrange.

I realise a driving deity like yourself wouldn't dare to stoop to drive so slow, but that's the speed where us mortals spend most of our time, and is therefore very useful to have the performance there.
Old 24 July 2006, 02:27 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Reffro
Yeah most people call that narrow band the midrange.

I realise a driving deity like yourself wouldn't dare to stoop to drive so slow, but that's the speed where us mortals spend most of our time, and is therefore very useful to have the performance there.
Not everyone lives in a cripple country where the so called 'midrange' stops well below 3 figures. Stick your answer up your ***.

In any case most of these so called 'hot hatch diesels' I see tend to be driven round town, about all they are really good for.
Old 24 July 2006, 02:38 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I am not saying it is an alternatice to a Subaru - but for what it is, your can't grumble too much. [and i would argue 40-100 ]
My modified 150 PD which RR'd at 210bhp still ran out of puff over 80 or so. Plus with the 3 changes you need to do to get from 40-100 (or you can block change and lose more time) they really aren't as quick as people make out. I think they flatter to deceive from my timings and experience.
Old 24 July 2006, 03:51 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

We bought the skoda so no one would nick it.
Old 24 July 2006, 04:00 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
We bought the skoda so no one would nick it.
Really. Is that the only reason?
Old 24 July 2006, 04:09 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Nope.Certainly a factor though.

5 doors was another reason.The main reason itself was the 1.9 tdi 130.I think its just what package you want that engine in (seat/skoda etc).Excellent to have mpg and oomph.

The wife never expected it to be a sports car and knows full well its a runabout.She loves it though.And I do.Great fun.
Old 24 July 2006, 04:15 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Cupra is the better car to drive..I own a mk2 cupa.. have had 2 mk4's Also know a fair few people with Skud's.. the part bins are basically the same, altho the Seat leans (not Leons) more towards the Audi end of the VAG stable..
Old 24 July 2006, 10:32 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

OK then, does anyone know how the Ibiza FR compares to the vRS?
Old 24 July 2006, 11:25 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Not everyone lives in a cripple country where the so called 'midrange' stops well below 3 figures. Stick your answer up your ***.

In any case most of these so called 'hot hatch diesels' I see tend to be driven round town, about all they are really good for.
Rabid the ever diplomat!!

Try convincing Mr Orificer Rab, in his blue and 2

I'm still wiv your point in spirit though...............
Old 24 July 2006, 11:27 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

On the answer in question I have not driven the Seats but from what I've heard first hand from people that have, I get the idea they are better than the Fab but not by the margin of how much more they cost....

but then if money wasn't a factor I wouldn't be driving an oil burner
Old 28 July 2006, 09:32 AM
rosswalker
Scooby Regular

The VAG PD Engines are superb in any car I believe the SEAT Leon is agood choice over the Golf because its lighter, cheeper, and has good brakes as standard.
My golf is running 223.9bhp & has more torque than you can shake a stick at!!
I have wasted standard scooby and evos in it (no disrespect I also have an EVO IX.)
Here is the dyno chart from my 150pd engine. Amazingly it has averaged 44.8mpg over the last 5000 miles.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/08...gAnch=imgAnch1

Last edited by rosswalker; 28 July 2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 28 July 2006, 09:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother has a PD Golf. He's had it remapped and it pulls like a train through 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. It feels much torque'er than my RB5 even with the PPP and a dose of Optimax.

It doesn't handle as well though, so covering ground is still better in the Scoob. Unless you're in complete attack mode, I think the Golf would be the easier and quicker car to drive in town and on the motorway.
Old 28 July 2006, 09:44 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by rosswalker
The VAG PD Engines are superb in any car I believe the SEAT Leon is agood choice over the Golf because its lighter, cheeper, and has good brakes as standard.
My golf is running 223.9bhp & has more torque than you can shake a stick at!!
I have wasted standard scooby and evos in it (no disrespect I also have an EVO IX.)
Here is the dyno chart from my 150pd engine. Amazingly it has averaged 44.8mpg over the last 5000 miles.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/08...gAnch=imgAnch1
Not dissimilar figures to mine but I don't believe you would 'waste' any EVO other than a 260. The only things you'd be wasting are limp wristed bugeyes and blobeyes.
Old 28 July 2006, 09:52 AM
rosswalker
Scooby Regular

Not dissimilar figures to mine but I don't believe you would 'waste' any EVO other than a 260. The only things you'd be wasting are limp wristed bugeyes and blobeyes.
Perhaps you are right about limp wristed bugeyes. But I regularly have a bit of fun with people driving "performance cars" and I havnt come off worse yet!
The thing with the diesel is that you have full boost (2.1bar) at 2k and then you are gone in a puff of smoke Overtaking is effortless. 50-80 is as quick as my Evo easily.
Old 28 July 2006, 10:06 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by rosswalker
Perhaps you are right about limp wristed bugeyes. But I regularly have a bit of fun with people driving "performance cars" and I havnt come off worse yet!
The thing with the diesel is that you have full boost (2.1bar) at 2k and then you are gone in a puff of smoke Overtaking is effortless. 50-80 is as quick as my Evo easily.
Surfing the torque is fun but I found a 2K power band then change up, up, up very, very boring indeed. It was quite funny though hammering 'faster cars' like bugeye WRX's midrange.

Time your 50-80 in both cars I'd be interested to know the results-making sure you are in both cars power band of course.

Having had high power diesels my theory is that the nature of their power delivery deceives. I don't have the car anymore but I'm pretty sure that from 50-80 my old MKIV 150 would have been requiring a gear change at the top of that range.