Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MY06 Mercedes A class review

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2006, 05:11 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MY06 Mercedes A class review

This maybe useful to some people. it all started when my Smart Roadster went in to the dealers recently. It just needed new door locks but sadly the dealer keeps getting one thing or another wrong and it has to go back again

During this time i have had a Mercedes A class. I have had 3 now and liv with all three for around 36 hours and 400 miles. I feel confident enough to write a review on my initial findings

So all the cars have been avantguard specification with black metallic coachwork. This buys you alloys, front fog lamps, remote central locking, half leather, climate control, on board computer, multiple airbags, CD player, pre-installed telephone, x4 electric windows, electric mirrors.

The A class is well thought out though. It is a well proportioned and no bigger than a golf, but inside you can accommodate 5 adults. In addition the boot is big enough to accommodate x4 15" alloys with tyres:

The seating is very comfortable, although a bit limited on the seat adjustment. The steering is very detached though and pretty vague - multifunction steering wheel is useful as is the onboard computer display.

The first car I had was a A150. This is a petrol 1.5 8V with optional auto gearbox and speed limiter. Approx 95ps.

Thanks to the continuous variable transmission the gear changes are seamless. In addition to this trickery the car is mapped to be nippy so it appears like you have a bit of power. Pinch the throttle and it surges forward - bury the pedal into the carpet and the car revs to around 6000rpm and stays there while the car accelerates - very slowly. It is painful and sounds rough. So it is best in the city with this engine.

It was very economical though, baring in mind it is auto it returns over 30mpg combined [mainly inner city for me].

Overall 4/10.

+ Comfort, quality, lovely gearbox, easy to drive.
- Painful engine note, NO POWER.

The next model up is the A200. Exactly the spec, except it gained 17" alloys, but lost the speed limiter, which I missed a lot. Approx 135ps.

This car is an improvement over the 1500 - but it still sounds rough and extracts it power in the same way - rev around to the red line etc...

It was quicker than the 1.5 by some margin though but it still isn't as quick as a standard 80hp roadster, to draw a comparison. MPG was similar to the 1.5 getting over 30 around town. The 17" wheels are a disaster you are constantly fighting with the steering wheel as it tramlines all over the road. A real shame. In addition the ride was compramised by the oversized wheels.

Overall 5/10.

+ quality, lovely gearbox, easy to drive, nippy.
- Painful engine note, tramline issues, terrible ride, expensive ! [see text below]

This one is the 180 CDI. 109hp I think.

It is pretty slow, but it only had 100 miles on the clock when I picked it up. It has a 7 speed CVT gearbox which is seamless - although the engine vibrates through the cabin and resinates through the accelerating giving you cramp over any distance! MPG wise 38+ so far with A/C in a city / a road environment. Sadly the vague steering is even worse on this model as they have lightened the steering to compensate for the heavy engine. Worse still it bottoms out ALOT !

Overall 6/10.

+ Comfort, quality, frugal, lovely gearbox, easy to drive.
- No power, dangerous steering, soft suspension, vibrating!

Overall it is a good car. Taking price and other cars on the market out of the equasion i would have one. It's just which engine ? The 180 CDI is the best out of the 3 that i have had, but there is a more powerful 200 CDI on the market and a 200 TURBO. The diesel will no doubt have the soft suspenion and vague steering that the 180 has, and the Turbo is expensive and does very little MPG.

So out of the range i think the A150 is the best one. It is reasonable on fuel smooth and quiet - and is the best value for money.

FYI:

A150: £15'910.00
A200: £18.385.00
A180 CDI: £17'215.00

A200 CDI: £19'875.00
A200 Turbo: £21'150.00

All based on 5 door Avantguard, prices as per mercedes website.
Old 27 July 2006, 09:13 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Ive got a A160 CDI sitting on my drive at the moment, as my merc is have some faults put right. I know exactly what you mean about the steering !!! Shocking isnt it.
The car is also a manual the clutch is so light its hard to feel the bite point.

Would I own one ....... well maybe yes, but it wouldnt be new !
I would think a 1 year old one at £10k would be good value
Old 29 July 2006, 07:36 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy, thanks for that as I'm considering one for the wife. I'm a little confused though, the highest mark you have awarded is 6/10 and thats for a £17k model. If it scores so low, and the price is not pocket money then why would you consider buying one?
Old 29 July 2006, 02:27 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Wife had one for a year and loved it. Sold it though after a service and new rollbar links cost £600
Old 30 July 2006, 09:58 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Hi Andy, thanks for that as I'm considering one for the wife. I'm a little confused though, the highest mark you have awarded is 6/10 and thats for a £17k model. If it scores so low, and the price is not pocket money then why would you consider buying one?
I wouldn't buy one.

In the event of my buying one, i would have the A150 as it is the cheapest, and when said and done it does drive quite nicely - but you can't ignore other cars on the market that IMO are much better. Although the A150 scored lower than everything else that was due to the engine [both power and noise] - but with £££ in mind, the saving over the diesel is considerable.

The reason the diesel scored well is because the engine is the best out of the one's i tried - also it was fantastic on fuel which may swing things for a buyer.